The Jeep Cherokee Classic appreciation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The newest Jeep Cherokee Classics are now 10 years old since production ceased after the 2001 model year. I always liked the old Cherokees and have long been a fan of the 4.0 I6.

I finally bought a 1996 Cherokee a few months ago and so far I am thrilled with it. Is there still any love out there for these old tractors?

Here is mine:

1211276459_r2UQg-L.jpg

I am going to be in the market for a "new" used car shortly. All of the Cherokees's around here seem to be junk. Any insight as to how you found a good one ?

Thank You.

My friend at work drives a 1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport. His also has about 150k miles and looks great for its age/mileage. I have driven/ridden in it a few times and think its pretty cool.

This was the truck that really started the modern "4-door" SUV craze. I owned a 91 Laredo that I bought new. Loved the Selec Trac transfer case. The engine in mine had bad shake at idle that could not be fixed, so I sold it after one year.

Originally Posted By: Milkman
I am going to be in the market for a "new" used car shortly. All of the Cherokees's around here seem to be junk. Any insight as to how you found a good one ?

Thank You.

Living in Pittsburgh, you have the same problem I do. Most of them around here are showing lots of wear on the bodies. If you really want one, look further south. Tennessee and the Carolinas have some nice examples. The classic is one of the vehicles on my list if I can find a clean one.

Let me know when you need an AC evaporator replaced. Jeep cant make a decient one it seems. We usually do 2 or 3 evaps a month on those.

Other than that they are a decient vehicle.

My work had a couple 1999s; they were very stripped though. 215 series passenger tires. No temp gauge, just an overheat idiot light. Even without tinted windows the AC was meat-locker cold.

We parked ours for many months then at my inquiry about its status held an internal sealed bid auction. I was the high (only) bidder.
lol.gif

The alternator had locked up from sitting. Put a socket and breaker bar on its big pulley nut and busted it loose. It turned and started producing electricity without making any noise or anything.

Radiator was leaking and half full of rust. Petcock is a few inches up the side. Bizarre. Its twin, bought at the same time, died of overheating: without a temp gauge, noone knew they were close to having a problem until the light came on.

Sold it to a guy 1/2 mile away and I still see him tooling around.

Interior is what an interior should be like, though the rear seat doesn't have gobs of space. Driver's position is excellent.

Here is my 96 shortly after I installed a Rubicon 3.5" lift. It has different rims and tires now. It has over 180k miles on it and runs great.

PB101225.jpg

Originally Posted By: Milkman

Thank You.

I am a planner by nature and I generally don't like surprises. I usually like to sell in the springtime when people are getting ready do do things, getting their tax checks and kids are graduating.

Conversely, I like to buy in the fall and during the holiday season because people need money and there are not a lot of people car shopping.

This strategy has worked well for me over the years and I bought my Jeep the week before Christmas.

Good luck.

Originally Posted By: -Clayton-

Picture116.jpg

Ha!

Typical Cherokee...on empty with the gas warning light on. For all their attributes, stellar gas mileage is not one of them.

....sniff sniff, tears.... I miss my 2000 Limited! Was the best darn truck!

There are conflicting market forces.

It's a sellers market for "anything that runs". Possibly not such a market in the $3k nicer used cars, if noone has three grand.

Getting out of winter, and the types that buy an overpriced 4wd in the fall then sell it in the spring to get a Harley.

Gas is creeping up, which will put some cherokee drivers in neons, but some expedition drivers in cherokees.

Never hurts to have a wad of cash not in the bank over the weekend, in case something pops up. Your buying competition will be limited by the $300-500 they can get from the ATM.

Originally Posted By: bigdreama
Originally Posted By: -Clayton-

Picture116.jpg

Ha!

Typical Cherokee...on empty with the gas warning light on. For all their attributes, stellar gas mileage is not one of them.

I really cant complain about it. City driving averages about 18 and 22 on the highway with a best of 24.5 at 50 mph driving really easy. Every time my wife drives it comes back with little gas.

I have an '88 Cherokee Pioneer. Only 122,000 miles on it at this point. A fun vehicle for what it is.

As far as fuel mileage goes, ours is better than most would think. Ours, with 4.0, auto, and 3.55 gearing easily gets over 20 mpg in freeway driving, and have gotten over 26 mpg before. Not bad for something with the aerodynamics of a brick
smile.gif

Owned a '95 2 door, way back in the day. I liked it a lot and would love to have another. Getting hard to find around here.

here is a 97 i bought, fixed and sold last summer. 160,000 miles.

when i put the add up to sell it i had 20 calls in 6 hours. sold it to the first that looked at it!

sad thing was if i needed a vehicle i would have kept it, but i have a good vehicle.

100_1396.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back