This board would not be possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I couldn't help but notice the the claim that "Without our Sponsors, this board would not be possible."

That's utter nonsense, of course. BITOG simply buys commodity hosting from a provider who provides UBB.threads support. It's about the cheapest form of hosting out there. (I pay about a penny a gigabyte for bandwidth on sites that I have remotely hosted.) I doubt that I would have any problem affording BITOG's operating costs. And I am far from rich.

I'm pretty familiar with these matters. And sites who claim ~34,000 registered members (as BITOG does) typically have a tiny fraction of users who actually use the site. Typically less than a hundred users whose names you'd recognize if presented to you on a list.

I note the lack of any sort of 501(c) designation for this site.

At worst, the site costs a small amount of money. At best, Helen is accumulating a tidy income from donors. Which is fine. But I do think it reasonable to note the fact that BITOG is being run as a business and not a public service. BITOG, itself, tends to shy away from mentioning that.

-Steve

I thought of all the money I've saved on oil and car parts, and better cheaper repairs, computed a percentage, and sent it off to Helen.

What you are getting with this membership level, is critical mass. Google a car problem and the odds are a BITOG response is in the first couple pages.

18c750f5_0523_5de1.gif

Originally Posted By: eljefino
I thought of all the money I've saved on oil and car parts, and better cheaper repairs, computed a percentage, and sent it off to Helen.

Certainly, the site has value. But if Helen dropped dead tomorrow, pretty much anyone could pick it up, as she did from her husband. Monetarily it's not a big deal. I mean... come on... she only ever participates in the "General and Off-Topic" and "Cooking" threads. It's not like she even understands anything at all about oil beyond what her husband told her before he died.

You'd do better to paypal specific posters who have provided information which has saved you money.

I'm just calling a spade a spade, here.

But I have to wonder if you would not have saved more money if BITOG was being run by someone who knew something about oil. (Engine oil. Not cooking oil.)

-Steve

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Google a car problem and the odds are a BITOG response is in the first couple pages.

One other thing. That "response" you get is most likely authoritatively stated... and quite wrong. I'm certainly not claiming that my answers are right. But I do recognize when people are talking out of their anal sphincters. And there is a lot of that going on in these forums.

-Steve

Quote:

But I do recognize when people are talking out of their anal sphincters. And there is a lot of that going on in these forums.

Thanks for proving your hypothesis.

You are spending a lot of effort trying to convince others there is no value here.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gwdriver
I'll second Pottymouths responce. What exactly is the reasoning behind your rant?

Not a rant. Please don't read more into my comment than was intended. A statement of fact only. Do you disagree with my assessment? Is BITOG really 501(c) and I simply failed to notice? I have no problem with saying I was incorrect if I am.

-Steve

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Thanks for proving your hypothesis.You are spending a lot of effort trying to convince others there is no value here.

Not at all. There is a significant degree of value here. I wouldn't spend time here if there weren't.

I'm simply pointing out that the site costs are not what you'd think based upon the verbiage that BITOG provides.

What I'm saying is that you probably shoudn't send money when your own finances are constrained, thinking that someone else is bending over backwards and straining their own bank accounts to help you. Because looking at the situation objectively, the money flow appears to be in the opposite direction.

-Steve

Originally Posted By: mikered30
April Fools!??

No. But let me ask you this. If it were not for the sponsors... do you, or do you not think that this board would be possible?

That is, essentially, the question I am posing.

From where I stand, it looks like it would be not only possible, but trivial, from a monetary standpoint.

-Steve

Peer review busts most of the horrible advice. Besides it's free, and there's a disclaimer in the board rules somewhere.

The sometimes heavy handed moderation filters the worst chumps. Try looking for advice on yahoo answers or something; it's horrible!

For non automotive topics look at the child support thread, the chicken thread, investments, the japan earthquake one: we have several power plant engineers including an apparant nuclear insider!

Whatever your point or rational is, who cares?!? This is a well run board that is, for all practical purposes, "flame proof" and well regulated with respect to one having to mind his/her manners. So what if someone can make a dime here, it's not like any of us were forced to register, or ever even directly asked to contribute. I guess I must be pretty thick because I'm missing any point(s) to be made here.

I think it is rather rude/crude to bring up the loss of Bob however, or whenever that happened, or to suggest Ms. Helen knows nothing about oil! So what if she does or doesn't know from cooking oil?!? What has that to do with anything?

I know nothing about computers but I'm here. Besides, she must be doing something right since this board keeps growing with members and users!

Originally Posted By: SaturnIonVue
Whatever your point or rational is, who cares?!?

I'm not quite sure what to say to someone who doesn't care about "rational".

Quote:
This is a well run board that is, for all practical purposes, "flame proof" and well regulated with respect to one having to mind his/her manners.

As long as the proprietors agree with you. I've been watching for a while, and the moderation is a little heavy-handed for my taste, god [censored] it. (I included that last bit as a demonstration.)

Quote:
So what if someone can make a dime here,

Somewhat more than a dime.

Quote:
I think it is rather rude/crude to bring up the loss of Bob however,

Who was Bob? I was talking about Tony.

Quote:
or to suggest Ms. Helen knows nothing about oil!

Helen does know nothing about oil. She only ever participates in the General Off-Topic and Cooking threads. I did do research on that before posting about the fact.

Quote:
So what if she does or doesn't know from cooking oil?!? What has that to do with anything?

It means that anyone... even someone who only cares about banana-bread recipes... could continue this site.

Which is a good thing, since historically, proprietors have been dropping dead faster than funeral services can be scheduled.

-Steve

Last edited:
What a tool.

Now I'm glad I was rude to you in the past regarding our GM/bailout discussions. You were rude then, and you are being rude to Helen by posting this thread. What possible information or discussion did you hope to stir up?

sbergman27,

You are judging me without knowing anything about me or what my back ground is. I have worked in the oil and gas industry and my husband (Tony) taught me a lot about oils, additive etc. I chose to not post because I do not want to sound like I am endorsing any product. I am a firm believer in the importance of UOA's and preventive maintenance

I wish I could maintain this site as cheaply as you think I can. The older members can tell you how the site looked when my husband bought it. I have to have a dedicated server and one that has a proven reliability record. I will not say any more concerning the cost to maintain.

I would like to say Thank You to the members that understand what this web site means to all of us. I am honored to be able to talk to some of Tony's friends and to keep things like the founding members wanted it to be. Their dreams for a peaceful place to hang out and discuss all aspects of the automotive industry is still alive and doing well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back