P0420 Check Engine Light

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, my 2001 chevy prizm(corolla clone) has had a check engine light on for a while, P0420. Cash was tight, so I couldnt get anything done, I would like to get it fixed finally.
Car has been running great, MPG has always been in the low 30s city/highway mix, and the car sounds good, accelerates well.

Does this sound like a bad 02 sensor, or is this a catalytic converter problem? If the 02 sensor is bad, how do I go about checking that?
Thanks for the help!

That's a bad cat CEL and the only one the rear oxygen sensor will throw. I've had that code most of the time since 2007 when I had a Magnaflow cat put in to avoid paying $600 for the Acura one.

I have a Vibe, same engine as a 9th gen (yours I know is 8th) Corolla. I have the p0420 code and it is a cat. I had an intake leak that caused the cat to go bad. Will replace both when the weather gets nicer. Got the cat delivered today, actually.

Take a look at http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=131

There is a search function for the forum on the right.

Just doing a quick search it seems it is likely a cat, but could be an exhaust leak or downstream O2 sensor or MAF sensor.

What is the consensus on cleaning the cat?
21.gif

First thing to check is the performance of the cat.
A PO420/430 does not automatically mean a defective cat,all the code means is the cat is performing below its optimal efficiency for some reason.

The first thing to do is tap the converter body and make sure there is nothing rattling inside and there is no rust holes then get the engine and cat up to operating temp.
Next,bring the engine up to approx 2500RMP and use either a digital thermometer (high temp)
or a non contact infra-red thermometer on the inlet,body and outlet of the cat.

The temp should be higher at the outlet than the inlet.If you have around 100f @2500 higher at the outlet the cat media is functioning and the cat is probably fine,at idle late model cats can have as little as 30-50f difference at idle.
The cat body temp should be higher than the inlet getting hotter as you get closer to the outlet.No 100% guarantee the cat is good but at least good enough to warrant further inspection.

Make sure there is no leaks at all between the front O2 and the rear O2.The smallest of leaks in this area will throw a cat code.
On cars with a doughnut and spring set up on the exhaust manifold this joint needs special attention.
I have seen a few cases of this joint leaking slightly under certain conditions e.g. under hard deceleration.
What happens is the engine rolls slightly forward and the joint acts like a ball joint(its designed this way) so it doesn't break the pipe.

Because its under deceleration and the movement is so small the operator does not hear an exhaust leak but there was additional outside air introduced into system after the front O2 causing the PO420/430.
Weakened springs from corrosion or just age is the most common reason for this happening.The repair for this is easy,a new doughnut,bolts and springs will cure it.

A scan tool that has the capability to read the O2 sensors in real time is needed to diagnose a lazy sensor.
A failed O2 will set a code but many times a lazy sensor can set an PO420/430 code.
On engines with 100K and more miles i always change the O2 sensors anyway whenever these codes show up.
The reason is they do get lazy with age and if the cat is bad you would want to put new O2's in the system anyway to get the most efficiency from the system.

If the cat is bad use either OEM or high quality after market e.g. Eastern cat and not universals.
In Asian cars i try to use Denso O2's as they are most likely used OEM anyway,ditto no universals.

Edit: If a clogged cat is suspected there are other testing methods that can diagnose that but seeing as you didn't mention performance issues i didn't get into them.
Any other issues like vacuum leaks,bad MAF or MAP sensors,coolant temp sensors,misfires etc should be addressed before addressing the PO420/430 code.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Trav
On engines with 100K and more miles i always change the O2 sensors anyway whenever these codes show up.
The reason is they do get lazy with age and if the cat is bad you would want to put new O2's in the system anyway to get the most efficiency from the system.

If the cat is bad use either OEM or high quality after market e.g. Eastern cat and not universals.
In Asian cars i try to use Denso O2's as they are most likely used OEM anyway,ditto no universals.

I'm replacing the O2 with Denso (OEM) and an Eastern direct fit cat. Good to know I'm on the right track!

I have an '03 Corolla that also throws the 0420 code every few days. Luckily I live in a county where emission tests are not required. It has 155K miles on it so it isn't worth even fixing...or I'll worry about fixing it when it becomes a bigger problem. I respect your drive to keep everything mechanically correct but it is a 10 year old vehicle and might be best to use it for what it is....as long as the performance isn't affected. With the CAT most probably needing replaced, it's not like your talking about a $50 repair.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ryansride2017
I have an '03 Corolla that also throws the 0420 code every few days. Luckily I live in a county where emission tests are not required. It has 155K miles on it so it isn't worth even fixing...or I'll worry about fixing it when it becomes a bigger problem.

Like when it clogs up and the car won't go faster than 30MPH?

Originally Posted By: brianl703
Originally Posted By: ryansride2017
I have an '03 Corolla that also throws the 0420 code every few days. Luckily I live in a county where emission tests are not required. It has 155K miles on it so it isn't worth even fixing...or I'll worry about fixing it when it becomes a bigger problem.

Like when it clogs up and the car won't go faster than 30MPH?

That's when it gets fixed! Seriously, my CAT is throwing the code due to old age. It isn't burning any oil to clog the CAT. Fuel economy still gets to the upper 30's so I'm not bothering with it until I see more signs of performance issues. It's too expensive of a repair, when the car itself isn't worth that much, to have performed without other performance issues being present.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back