2009 Jetta TDI - 16,222miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi all

long time lurker 1st time poster.
grin.gif

below is the UOA on my 09 Jetta TDI. total mileage on the car is 16,222 and on the oil was 12months at 6883miles. most of the driving is stop/go city driving along with about a 1min or so cooldown idle for the turbo.

anyway, just wanted to share. from what i can tell from reading around the web it looks pretty normal for these engines. apparently VW puts a gob of potassium in their factory fill and i suspect it will get lower as time goes on.

matt

---

09jetta-0311.jpg

Even for an engine with only 16k, that Al numbers would scare the pants off me - that is BRUTAL piston wear!

I'd find a good, inexpensive 15W-40, and do some 3k 'flush' runs to try and get piston wear under control.

Those common-rail TDI's need that specific weight/type of oil to not damage the emissions things they have in the exhaust.

That's what I've read, and could be wrong.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Even for an engine with only 16k, that Al numbers would scare the pants off me - that is BRUTAL piston wear!

I'd find a good, inexpensive 15W-40, and do some 3k 'flush' runs to try and get piston wear under control.

DO NOT do this! VW says 30wt is ok, but I'd stick with the 40wt varieties that they approve while under warranty. But you absolutely do not want to use a 15-40 conventional oil, synthetic only my friend! Go post this on TDIclub.com and listen to what they tell you.

I am also not entirely happy with the copper and aluminum numbers there, but you would expect high numbers given your extreme service and the fact that this is a brand new engine. Sample again at 30k or so and hopefully these numbers will have declined.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Those common-rail TDI's need that specific weight/type of oil to not damage the emissions things they have in the exhaust.

That's what I've read, and could be wrong.

volkswagen is VERY specific that during the warranty period that you run a vw approved 504/507 spec oil (all 5w30's). apparently the casting process for these engines have quite a bit of residual aluminum, and this is only its 2nd oil change. UOA's all over this site (and others) show similar numbers for similar mileage with a downward trending. this is also the reason i'm having this analysed.....you can never be _too_sure right?
grin.gif

if this were a cummins i'd run 15w40 in it, but with a $10k DPF i'll stick with 504/507...

matt

I don't see anything out of the ordinary for an engine breaking in. Personally I think you're only getting noise and no signal from UOAs until it hits 50k+ miles.

Running 15w40 in a CR TDI?
56.gif
Hilarious - the funniest thing I've read on April Fool's Day yet!

Drive more, worry less.

Originally Posted By: synthetic_crazy
Just out of curiosity, what mpg numbers does this car deliver?

around town i get in the mid 30's. on the hwy i get over 40 pretty consistently. we just took a 350mile round trip and i was getting about 41.5. last tank (mostly in-town) was 36.0.

matt

Originally Posted By: scurvy
I don't see anything out of the ordinary for an engine breaking in. Personally I think you're only getting noise and no signal from UOAs until it hits 50k+ miles.

Running 15w40 in a CR TDI?
56.gif
Hilarious - the funniest thing I've read on April Fool's Day yet!

Drive more, worry less.

Glad I amuse you.....

If this is 'normal' wear for one of these engines, they they are just poorly machined/assembled - modern engines should not shed this level of material...

And, BTW, the only time an oil hurts an emission system is if it BURNS it - you do know that, right? A brand-new engine should NOT burn so much oil that it can harm an emission system.

Originally Posted By: addyguy

If this is 'normal' wear for one of these engines, they they are just poorly machined/assembled - modern engines should not shed this level of material...

And, BTW, the only time an oil hurts an emission system is if it BURNS it - you do know that, right? A brand-new engine should NOT burn so much oil that it can harm an emission system.

Normal 'break-in' wear yes. If it's still shedding this much aluminum and copper at 100k miles we have something to worry about. As noted, this engine will not be properly broken in until about 50k miles.

You would think that burning oil would be the only way an emissions system could be affected, and such was the way of the world until a few years ago. Alas, that is not the case with modern diesel engines. For better or worse I think we're yet to find out.

The only non-warranty oil I'd run in
a post 06 MB, BMW or VW diesel is an
ACEA E6/MB228.51 oil, like in my sig.
Thse meet the Zn/P specs and have just
a bit more ash at 1.0% The Delvac 1 LE has TBN of 12.6!

Charlie

The "VW Approved Oils" are all 30 wt. Do I feel like these are the "best" oils for the car? Not necessarily, but I don't have any scientific information to back that up.

I've toyed with running Amsoil DEO, HDD, or Mobil 1 Formula M, which is an ESP oil.

I'd probably be most comfortable with the M1, as the SA is the lowest. I'm still in warranty, but I'll be thinking about this as it winds down.

Originally Posted By: BTLew81
I'd probably be most comfortable with the M1, as the SA is the lowest. I'm still in warranty, but I'll be thinking about this as it winds down.

something i discovered on an off chance today - i dropped by the dodge dealer trying to get a part for my 87 dodge ramcharger and noticed that they carry M1 ESP 5w30 - it's the oil they use in the mercedes/dodge sprinter vans. chrysler part number 68001334AA

might be easier to source than some of the other choices if your local dodge dealer has it (or can get it)

matt

Originally Posted By: Clarence_Iba
I get 35-36 in town and 47-50 on the highway, depending on how near the speed limit I like to drive.

6300 on mine so far, all perfect.

Do you have a manual trans or an automatic?

If potassium goes from EGR than I would change oil brand before it becomes too dirty.

I'd look for VW 507 oil which meets MB 229.51 for better sludge/soot management.

Originally Posted By: wlyszkow
If potassium goes from EGR than I would change oil brand before it becomes too dirty.

I'd look for VW 507 oil which meets MB 229.51 for better sludge/soot management.

i plan on running mobil 1 5w30 esp next change since it does meet both 507 and 229.51 and is easy for me to get locally.

matt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back