0w40 vs 5w30 5SFE Camry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys i just have a quick question, im pretty sure it's okay but i just wanted a second opinion. My friend recently sold his jeep srt/8 and sold me the rest of his M1 0w40 stash really cheap. Since my dad's camry is due for a change, would it be okay to use the 0w40 in it? I don't really have anything that calls for 0w40, just jumped on the deal because it was cheap. Oil will be in over summer, in northern indiana. Manual calls for 5w30 at all temps.

210K miles. No burning or leaking.

Thanks!

I run Mobil 1 0W-40 in our 2001 Camry with the 5S-FE. Runs smooth as butter, and it loves it! Definitely go for it.
thumbsup2.gif

Depends on the year of the Camry...it's pretty thick for a car that specifies a 5W30...but my '90 Toyo allows for 10W40 in hot weather...so I run a 5W40, which helps keep the pressure in the specified range, especially when at hot idle...

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Sounds like a GREAt oil for that app.!

Be sure to run it at least 10k.

Definitely. I change ours once a year (every March), considering the car barely does 9,500 km (6,000 miles) over the course of 12 months. The first two changes (in 2009 and 2010), the oil came out black like diesel oil. When I change it this year, it came out much lighter. So some cleaning must have definitely been going on.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Depends on the year of the Camry...it's pretty thick for a car that specifies a 5W30...but my '90 Toyo allows for 10W40 in hot weather...so I run a 5W40, which helps keep the pressure in the specified range, especially when at hot idle...

Owner's manual specifies anything from 5W-30 to 20W-50 here (2001 MY), so 0W-40 is a decent choice.

I run Mobil 1 ESP-M 5w-40 in one and it runs smooth as silk.
I know a couple of Toyota service managers and quite a few techs that swear by 0w-40 and 5w-40 oil even in the brand new ones that are specd for thin stuff.
To quote one."these things love 5w-40 oil"
They are not saying that to customers though.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Sounds like a GREAt oil for that app.!

Be sure to run it at least 10k.

I respectfully disagree with the advice to run it 10k in this engine. This is the Toyota 4 cyl that is sludge prone. XOM recommends a 5-6K oci for this engine even using M1. Having said that, I've been considering switching from M1HM 10W30 to a mixture of M1 0W40 and 0W30 in my 97 Camry. It won't be for awhile, if at all, but I think the oil would probably do fine in that engine.

Other than the PCV issues (which there is a fix for, IIRC), I don't see why these engines would have sludge issues if taken care of. The 5SFE in my sister's 94 Camry has an oil-coolant heat exchanger on it, so the oil can't run all that hot in these. Also, I think the concerns were mostly with the later 5SFEs.

The OP doesn't indicate the year for the Camry in question. I know that 5SFE engines from 97 until at least 01 were problematic. Moreover, I asked XOM about the sludge problem. XOM's recommendation was to make sure you keep the pcv changed AND use a 5-6K oci even if using M1. I specifically asked if M1EP would change the recommended oci and the answer was, "I wouldn't go longer than 5-6K with any oil." Factor in that Amsoil recommends 7500 for these cars when drivers meet the very restrictive "normal use" crieria (and by implication a shorter oci if you don't) and you begin to get a definite picture that going 10k on these engines presents some risk.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. The car is a 1997. He drives 60 miles a day round trip to work, all highway. I replaced the PCV valve last fall with a fresh one, and the spring before that i had the valve cover off. There was some varnish but no sludge inside.

I can't say much for oil pressures since it doesn't have a gauge, and i don't have one to hook up.

M1 0/40 is a excellent choice, for over 21 years i have been managing fleets that have had any where from 2-65 forklifts. The only oil ever used after the 1st oil change has been a fleet 15/40. Neve one and i mean not one failure due to oil viscosity.
Mostly Toyota forks but a few Komatsu and Nissans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back