What type of coolant for a 99 taurus with 24valve?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have seen mixed recomendations for both standard green, and ford orange (go-5? like) because ford switched to orange sometime around then possibly?

Again it is a 99 taurus with the 3.0 mitsubishi made 24 valve v6.

Thank you...

It's probably been in there long enough to just flush out all the old stuff and use some regular Zerex or Peak.

There have allegedly been some issues with Prestone and the early Duratec 30s. I can't confirm or deny it so I just won't endorse it.

But Mitsubishi?

The Duratec was developed by Ford with input from Cosworth and Porsche. Mazda and Jaguar put their own spin on it too.

I think Ford factory filed that year with original green, but backspeced G-05 to '99 as a service fill with a complete changeover. So Ford would say either Green or G-05 only.

Either green or G-05 (motorcraft gold) will be fine. The orange stuff is Dex-cool, and does not belong in that car. If you swap to G-05 (or the original stuff looks grimy, or both), then make sure to flush well.

I have a 2000 Taurus wagon with the DOHC, it came with green coolant. I flushed the whole system completely out with water when I bought the car (90k miles) and refilled the radiator with Prestone. No problems in the 25k miles since. I'm coming up on another drain refill at 130k.

Last edited:
Oh my! I dont know where that random bit of incorrect info came from, I must have been thinking of something different?? wow, crazy...

Anyway, yes, for a FORD duratec 30. Does the GO-5 have sillicates like the regular green? I'm sure both would work after a good flush.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
You were probably thinking of the Yamaha built SHO motors of that vintage.

I think you nailed it...
smile.gif

Thats a good chart, makes it clear as day! Green it is, and luckily thats whats in it already...

Thanks!

Originally Posted By: SOHCman
Thats a good chart, makes it clear as day! Green it is, and luckily thats whats in it already...

Thanks!

All those charts are great, i have them saved as bookmarks on my comp here in the parts dept and use them often.

All those charts are great

As are you, sir!

Thanks much for my Ford spark plug help via personal message. It's great to have someone with your background sharing at BITOG.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
All those charts are great

As are you, sir!

Thanks much for my Ford spark plug help via personal message. It's great to have someone with your background sharing at BITOG.

Anytime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back