Coolant change in 2004 Impala

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chevy went to a screw type rad cap for 04 and the Stant 10248 is the replacement for this year. I know because I own 03's and 04's. LOL. Acutally just replaced the 04 cap yesterday with one purchased from Advance Auto.

Last edited:
Thanks, I think I'll pick one up from Advance as well just to be on the safe side. Is the stant brand screw cap better than the GM cap at keeping air out? They seem to be almost exactly the same.

Well, I ran into another issue...

It appears the expansion tank has developed a small leak. I'm not sure if it was there previously or if it may have been caused by trying to clean it (scalding water and Krud Kutter / dishwasher detergent.) but it is dripping at a rate of about 1 drop/min and about 1 drop/30sec when the car is running. It looks like it's coming from the seam underneath the container.

It this an easy fix with some silicone/adhesive or do I need to make a trip to the GM dealer and fork over $90 for a new one? :-(

I actually installed a new Stant 10231 on my sons 03 Monte Carlo SS Jeff G edtion. It fit well and looked like a better quality cap then the GM cap. Time will tell. LOL.

Over the long term the 10230 Stant may seal better on the 03's and earlier but a new Stant 10231 will work better then the original caps. Good luck and just over time, keep an eye on the the coolant. I do a rad drain and fill every two years to get some new coolant in the system.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ljbrandt
Thanks guys! Heading out to AAP now!

Well the tank is repaired and I have a new cap(thanks for letting me know about the kit mechanix!) The only concern I have left is the amount of coolant I was able to pour into the radiator. The system capacity on the '04 3.4L is 11.3 quarts. The plan was to put in about half the capacity in pure dex-cool (~5.5 quarts) and top off the rest with distilled water. After the last radiator drain, I shut the rad petcock and SLOWLY started filling the radiator with pure coolant but could only get just under 1 gallon (4 quarts) to go in! This was after waiting a few hours and with both bleeders open initially. I also ran the car with the rad cap off (heat on until cooling fans kicked on) and still couldn't get too much more inside. Anyhow, I just poured the remaining of the gallon jug in the coolant reservoir with an additional 1.5 quarts from the 2nd jug. Hopefully, as the cooling system cycles from hot to cold, any trapped air will be purged and coolant from the reservoir tank will be drawn in. I'm not sure if the 11.3 quart capacity includes the coolant stored in the overflow tank, up to the fill line, or if there's more than 5.5 quarts of water trapped in the block behind the thermostat!

I guess I was just expecting to fill the radiator with 5.5 quarts of coolant and still have some room to top off with water. Time will tell if it's just some trapped air or if there was more capacity in the block/core than I expected.

Last edited:
There's probably a good bit of coolant in the block still. My Jeep holds about 3 gallons, excluding the overflow bottle. Even after draining the rad, pulling a heater hose and holding it up (which let out about another 1/2 quart from the block/core), and pulling the water pump, I never got more than 2 gallons out of it. And having the water pump out means that the upper part of the block, heads and intake manifold were dry, leaving a gallon or so between anything left in the heater core, and the lower areas of the block.

Sounds good. Getting half the capacity in concentrate in can be a bear. I think you probably got about 50% concentrate in it. I would just add water for top ups as needed if it is just a small amount. Later you could mix your remaining concentrate with water and have 50/50 for any top ups in the future.

^ That's what I do. Get as much out of the system as possible, leave the overflow bottle empty, add concentrate to about 50%, then top off with distilled water if needed (I once drained the heater core and poured some concentrate in there to get more in easily). Then, I fill the recovery bottle with 50/50 and keep it topped off as any last bits of air purge over the next few days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back