188k Mile Oil Recomendation (2.0 ABA)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

First off, i want to say how great this site is. Its a wealth of knowledge
smile.gif

Now to my question.

I have a 97 VW Golf 2.0A with 188k miles, living in the IL climate.

I am looking for some advice on what oil to use next. After doing alot of searching, i thought id ask for everyones opinions.

Im looking at running Rotella 15w40 with a Wixx Oil Filter. I see alot of people recomending the 5w40 Rotella but im not sure if its that great of an idea using syntehetic at that high of a mileage.

Any input would be great
smile.gif

I am unsure but the 15w40 may be a little too thick for those cold days in IL, this is why most would say 5w40. Now for syns causing leaks on HM vehicles, this is hit and miss and depends on how the motor is doing itself. The worst that can happen is that you run it for 2 cycles and if it doesn't get better, then choose another oil.

SideNote: M1 0w40 or GC should also be considered.

What does VW recommend for 97' Golf....and how do you drive (i.e. % of highway to city...stop and go etc.).

Without that info.....M1 5w30HM

Last edited:
I was going to run the 15w40 during the warmer months and when the cold hits again, drop downt o a 10w40 or 5w40.

Thanks for the input.

PS - What does the GC stand for? Sorry...

German castrol which is Catrol Syntec 0w-30 which has the made in germany logo on the back which is a thick 30wt almost a 40wt and a very good oil. Its really only referred to as german castrol or GC on here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back