Car out of storage... When to change the oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just pulled my 09 Solstice GXP out of storage for the winter. The car is a GTDI 2.0L with the GM tune making ~290hp and has 11k miles on it. I bought the car mainly for auto-x so it sees hard driving most of the time. The car did receive an oil change right before I put it away for the winter. My typical oil change schedule is; start of the year, mid-season (~July), and before storage. I don't mind spending the $$$ for the extra peace of mind but I also have trouble dumping oil that has
Would you guys change it before running a auto-x this Sunday or wait unitl my normal interval of mid-summer?

Oil: M1 5W-30
Filter: M1 or PUREone

I would take the car for a good 30 minute drive to allow your current fill to get up to temperature. This will allow the oil to burn off some/any of the contaminants in the sump from storage. With less than 100 miles on the odometer/less than 6 months time (for this fill), I don't see the need to change it just yet.

Others may chime in with a different response.

i'd take it out for a long hi-way cruise 30+ minutes to get rid of any condinsation from sitting, then change in mid-summer

I'd change it after a nice long, gentle warm up and highway drive with a good amount of WOT (wide open throttle) fun to build up enough pressure in the cylinders and exhaust to burn off any bugs who have crawled in and set up shop during the winter.

how long was the car in storage? Was it started at all during this time?

I have an old VW dunebuggy that I drive about onece a month just for about 20 miutes each time to get it hot. I only change the Castrol GTX 5-30 oil once every other year. The oil looks almost like new after that time. No since wasting a valuable resourse.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
If you changed it in the fall, it doesn't need to be changed now.

Exactly, oil doesn't deteriorate, nor does the TBN level drop with oil just sitting in the sump.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM

Exactly, oil doesn't deteriorate, nor does the TBN level drop with oil just sitting in the sump.

As long as the oil was changed before the car was put away you'll be fine. Just take it out for a nice drive, and enjoy the car!

I would take for a drive and then change it. And next time I'm getting ready to store it, I would take it for a nice hwy drive, and store it right away without changing the oil.

Originally Posted By: Scuderia
I would take for a drive and then change it. And next time I'm getting ready to store it, I would take it for a nice hwy drive, and store it right away without changing the oil.

I like to store a car with fresh oil, which has no contaminants, moisture and a strong ad pack. Owners of classic cars I spoke with do it that way. JMO

^ Agreed. That's what dad and I do on the boat in the fall. Oil change is pretty much the last thing done, with about 2 minutes of runtime afterward to pull antifreeze through the raw water cooling system. Oil sits over the winter, and is used in the spring and run all season (unless we actually get enough hours on them to need a mid-season change).

Ditto.

In NY you have to turn in your plates if you take liability insurance off your car.
This is a PITA for guys with convertibles and other 'seasonal' type vehicles.
Is it the same in Indiana?

Thanks for all the replys. The car was not run at all during the winter to minimize the chance of any contaminates getting into the oil. Everytime I drive the car is a minimum of 45min and will contain a couple WOT blasts so I feel good about any moisture being burned off. It's just nice to know others have the same opinion as myself.

Originally Posted By: pbm

In NY you have to turn in your plates if you take liability insurance off your car.

No requirements like that here, just pull it in the garage and call the insurance company.

I found it unique that you basically got the same response of first 3 responses all noting the same time.

Just pulled mine out..though I did warm it up a bit over the winter. And the QSUD looks good it there, so I'm going to leave it in for a while...

Originally Posted By: 09_GXP
Thanks for all the replys. The car was not run at all during the winter to minimize the chance of any contaminates getting into the oil. Everytime I drive the car is a minimum of 45min and will contain a couple WOT blasts so I feel good about any moisture being burned off. It's just nice to know others have the same opinion as myself.

Originally Posted By: pbm

No requirements like that here, just pull it in the garage and call the insurance company.

When I started driving in the mid 70s there was no such requirement either.
New York always figures out a way of getting money out of its 'taxpayers'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back