Plugs and Spark Plug Wires on 03' Civic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone, and anyone here done spark plug wires and plugs on a newer like 2000-2003 Civic with the 1.7l engine? Just curious as this is what I will be doing sometime this summer along with timing belt and water pump change and coolant flush out.

thank you very much in advance

No wires; coil packs. Plugs are a piece of cake. Right on top and can be done in no time. The timing belt isn't bad either.

Hey Crazyoil dude and cpayne5, thanks for the advice. I didnt know that that engine just used coil packs. Thank you guys. And yeah; I got a o.e.m. belt and water pump, upper and lower rad hose, thermostat and coolant and plugs already for under 200$ my price from my friend in my area who is a honda tech/parts man(darn good one too!)

adam

Be sure to use the recommended NGK spark plugs. I cross referenced to a set of Bosch plugs that were supposedly the equivalent and got random misfires. I had to buy a set of NGK's the next week.

The Civics seem to be very particular about spark plugs.

Is good that your car no longer has wires, cap/rotor.

T-belt is not hard to change cause you have a decent amount of space on the driver's side.

I think the older civics with the 13" steel wheels and corny looking door handles were a LOT easier to work on honestly. Brother still has a 91' acura legend and its cake to work on. Newer hondas/acuras dont have a lot of space in my eyes and I work on a lot of junk at my work too.

thank you for the advice guys

adam

Civic's are not difficult BUT you better have the right tools.

HINT: get a crankshaft holder tool, if not good luck trying to get that nut off. You can't really do it without the tools unless you want to start doing shadetree mechanic stuff.

It's still 4 plus hours for a first timer, two hours or under for someone who has freshly done a few.
See this write up, you will thank me later

http://www.civicforums.com/forums/36-mec...lt-diy-2-a.html

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
A word of advice....Use only an oem timing belt!

nah, good quality belt from reputable brand should be all you need. I haven't heard belt snapping left and right by people using the wrong belt.

My '01 Civic (same gen as '03) has had a delco t-belt and water pump at 100k, and then at 200k, now at 225k miles. Original tensioner.

Denso plugs. Although I did run some el cheapo copper plugs for about 50k miles once.

Haven't broke one yet,
wink.gif

I used to have a 01 civic and Denso or NGK spark plugs should be fine.

As for coil packs, I just never have to change them. They're doing fine @ 130k miles with original pack. My cheap*ss theory is if it's not breaking (misfiring) don't replace it. I've 2-3 friends still using their OEM pack @150+k miles.

I honest never did a timing belt/water pump job, but there's tons of DIY online for civics.

Originally Posted By: Silver_civic
along with timing belt and water pump change and coolant flush out.

Are you sure you even have a timing belt? I thought all Civics from 2000 and up had timing CHAINS.

Originally Posted By: Tegger

Are you sure you even have a timing belt? I thought all Civics from 2000 and up had timing CHAINS.

So the people in the thread that have changed timing belts must of been confused.

I changed mine twice, but maybe it was a dream...
smirk.gif

TEGGER, yeah hondas use TIMING BELTS not chains. I have done couple at my work so I know a little. volvomix; I have the holder tool also, and no you dont need to hold the crankshaft holder; I just use my snap on impact gun or my IR Titanium air gun and never had problems at all. Holder helps also just costly tool is all. Thank you all for the help and replies guys, especially MarkM66

adam v

Originally Posted By: Tegger

It depends. 7th generation 4 door sedan and 2 door coupe Civics up to 2005 had the D17 engine which used a timing belt. The Hatchback Civic up to 2005 used the K20A3 engine and had a timing chain. In 2006 all 8th generation Civic engines went to a timing chain.

I believe all Honda 4 cylinder engines used in CR-V and Accord now utilize a timing chain. I don't know about the V-6's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back