Pennzoil Ultra or Castrol Edge in 2008 G35

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right now I'm running through my stash of GC but am contemplating stocking up on Castrol Edge 5w-30 or Pennzoil Ultra 5w-30.

In my shoes, given a choice between the Edge or Ultra, which oil would you use in my G35?

Hard choice........both are premium, what I'd do if I was stuck on both would be try one for one OCI and try another the following OCI and see which one "feels" better.

Originally Posted By: bodeh6
That new Edge with Titanium looks it might be better then PU.

I respectfully disagree, I think it is too early to tell what the new EDGE will be like. If it shears like the old formula did your G35 will cut it down. I don't see why there should have to be a choice. I would buy both and stagger the changes. Pennz Ultra has showed itself to be a great oil, I personally would go with that if I HAD to make a choice. I am sure you can't be wrong in either decision.

Pennzoil endorses Ultra for use in applications requiring Genuine Nissan Ester oil. Does Castrol offer the same endorsement for the Edge?

Originally Posted By: chubbs1

I respectfully disagree, I think it is too early to tell what the new EDGE will be like. If it shears like the old formula did your G35 will cut it down. I don't see why there should have to be a choice. I would buy both and stagger the changes. Pennz Ultra has showed itself to be a great oil, I personally would go with that if I HAD to make a choice. I am sure you can't be wrong in either decision.

I don't know if the Edge at the nearby Autozone is the new stuff. I'll have to check.

As I mentioned I'm going through my stash of GC. The engine sounds really smooth but the UOA's were okay, not spectacular. Wondering how it will be with a easily "sheared" oil..

Originally Posted By: yaris0128
If you wont a for sure answer run both and get UOA's. Thats all you can do to be sure.

Originally Posted By: qdeezie
Hard choice........both are premium, what I'd do if I was stuck on both would be try one for one OCI and try another the following OCI and see which one "feels" better.

I'd get an UOA if I go with either one to see how things are going.

I ran Mobil1 5w-30 (SL rated) at my first oil change and it didn't sound as smooth as GC.. I my have to go with trying one and then the other..

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Pennzoil endorses Ultra for use in applications requiring Genuine Nissan Ester oil. Does Castrol offer the same endorsement for the Edge?

I don't know about Castrol endorsing the use of Edge where Nissan Ester oil is recommended. I don't have the VQ37, where it's recommended.

Maybe I'll try both..

Yes and that shear issue with the engine that seems to eat up oil, PU would be my choice with a uoa to match. Titanium is a cheap additive I hear, IF that is true, might not be a good sign.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: chubbs1

ive ran M1 for years, yet from time to time i try others, and ive never been a castrol man. but i decided to give edge a try, and imo its the best oil decision i ever made, i get my best mpgs on edge 5w20 and makes car run like a sewing machiene lol! but when it comes to oil popularity on this site it seems as if pennzoil (sopus) is going to enherit the family fourtune, wheras edge is the red headed step child. Now if car is under warranty and edge doesnt meet the oem spec, then id use an oil that is specd as such. but out of warranty id use edge over for PU as edge is marketed as an extended drain oil, whereas PU isnt

Whatever you can by for less money. You can stew about this for years but at the end of the day both will perform so close to each other you will would never know what oil you used if you did not buy it.

Originally Posted By: kcfx4
ive ran M1 for years, yet from time to time i try others, and ive never been a castrol man. but i decided to give edge a try, and imo its the best oil decision i ever made, i get my best mpgs on edge 5w20 and makes car run like a sewing machiene lol! but when it comes to oil popularity on this site it seems as if pennzoil (sopus) is going to enherit the family fourtune, wheras edge is the red headed step child. Now if car is under warranty and edge doesnt meet the oem spec, then id use an oil that is specd as such. but out of warranty id use edge over for PU as edge is marketed as an extended drain oil, whereas PU isnt

I'm curious if anyone has done UOA's with Pennzoil Ultra and Edge in the VQ36. Wondering which oil shears more in my application?

Originally Posted By: dave1251
Whatever you can by for less money. You can stew about this for years but at the end of the day both will perform so close to each other you will would never know what oil you used if you did not buy it.

Maybe you're right but we're BITOG'ers so we're a bit, dare I say "fanatical" about our oil?
crazy.gif

Ultra.

VQ engines tend to break down the viscosity and like thicker weights such as an Xw40wt. Edge is already on the thinner side of the 30wt spectrum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back