0-20 and MPG Increase

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will be going to Gainesvile Fl. this Wednesday. I make this trip a lot as family lives there so I have a very good idea of the mileage I get. I drive consistantly at 2500 RPM with the Fusion which is 72 MPH. I always set the MPG indicator when I enter the interstate by my home and check it when I exit I 75 in Gainesville. My mileage for several trips runs between 32 and 33 MPG which has been with 5-30 and most recently 5-20. This is the first trip with 0-20 so if there is any increase much at all I will notice it. I plan to be back in a week so I will report my MPG reading then.

Last edited:
Use pen and paper (gallons used vs miles traveled), check the ODO for accuracy and post both values.

I've never had a vehicle that was within a MPG or two of the actual MPG on the "readout".

Can't argue with the actual data.

Be SAFE on the trip!
thumbsup2.gif

Bill

Sounds good! I think M1 AFE is awesome but I saw a minimal increase in MPG's when using the 0w30. Still ran great in the car and turned out a beautiful UOA. Still be interesting to hear what you get.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Use pen and paper (gallons used vs miles traveled), check the ODO for accuracy and post both values.

I've never had a vehicle that was within a MPG or two of the actual MPG on the "readout".

Be SAFE on the trip!
thumbsup2.gif

Bill

You are right about the on board MPG indicater. I usually get .9 to 1.0 MPG less when I figure it by hand. It has been very consistent that way over many tanks of fuel both hwy and local driving. I use the on board numbers as a guide line, but again it is consistantly 1 MPG higher. I make this trip every year at this time so the fuel should be the same formulation year to year.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

Be SAFE on the trip!
thumbsup2.gif

Bill

Due to lack of precision, a one-time calculation involving a value from a gas pump isn't very precise. Most onboard readouts are more accurate, especially if the reading is calculated with very few starts such as the OP is describing.

If you are resetting for a long trip, the readout is the way to go and much more consistent, precise and accurate. If you are making a relative comparison, it is the only way to go. Pencil, paper and odometer make for more accurate long term calculations. Gas pump calcs are useless if not at the same pump and even then can be off by as much as 5%.

I think it is more accurate to hand figure the MPG over 5-7 tank fulls not just one. However when I go the Gainesville I only require 2 tanks of gas.

Originally Posted By: badtlc

Due to lack of precision, a one-time calculation involving a value from a gas pump isn't very precise. Most onboard readouts are more accurate, especially if the reading is calculated with very few starts such as the OP is describing.

If you are resetting for a long trip, the readout is the way to go and much more consistent, precise and accurate. If you are making a relative comparison, it is the only way to go. Pencil, paper and odometer make for more accurate long term calculations. Gas pump calcs are useless if not at the same pump and even then can be off by as much as 5%.

Well he is going a couple of thousand miles (I don't drive it but according to Google maps its around 1000 miles each way) so it would be a few gas tanks (like 5 if he goes 400 miles per tank) but then the following is posted;

Originally Posted By: tig1
I think it is more accurate to hand figure the MPG over 5-7 tank fulls not just one. However when I go the Gainesville I only require 2 tanks of gas.

HUH? Is it not around 2,000 miles RT? How big is a tank in a Fusion?

I still stick with my comment on pen and paper. This data is over more than a single tank so if the pump clicks off a gallon or two early at the end its not going to fudge the numbers much.

Take care, Bill

Bill, it's 905 miles from my house to my sons. The round trip will usually be 2200+ miles counting the run a round driving we do. Usually a trip over to Cedar Key or St Augustine. I use two tanks each way on the drive itself.

Last edited:
Bill, it's 905 miles from my house to my sons. The round trip will usually be 2200+ miles counting the run a round driving we do. Usually a trip over to Cedar Key or St Augustine. I use two tanks each way on the drive itself.

That's enough to cover the slight difference between pumps.

Enjoy! Bill

If you can use your cruise control it would be a bit more consistent than trying keep a specific speed manually.
I think realistically almost any difference in wind speed or direction or a difference in ambient temperature is going to hide the difference the lighter oil is making but you might have very similar conditions and it would be interesting to see what the results are.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
If you can use your cruise control it would be a bit more consistent than trying keep a specific speed manually.
I think realistically almost any difference in wind speed or direction or a difference in ambient temperature is going to hide the difference the lighter oil is making but you might have very similar conditions and it would be interesting to see what the results are.

I use cruise control every chance I get. My ankle gets to hurting without cruse. Since I have made this trip so many times, any variance in MPG will be known. Anything over 33 will be a plus for the 0-20.

That's good MPG for over 70 MPH. I doubt you see any difference either just using thinner oil. But still it will be interesting to find out.

We got back home this evening and it seems that the 0-20 got about .75 to 1.0 MPG better than I have have ever had before on this trip. Going to Florida I got 33.6 on the mileage minder which I have never had that high before. We used the AC about 1/3 of the way down. Coming home was less,31.6, but we came back a differant way and stopped in Columbus, Ga. to visit friends. We traveled through eastern Alabama today to Birmingham on 280 which goes through several towns and many red lights. Also the the All in all I diffently see a little MPG increase with the 0-20AFE.

I think if you went 65MPH or lower, you may have gotten more mileage.

The MPV has the Duratec 3.0 and mileage drops like a rock after 2K RPM. Below 2K and lower, I'll get 25-27MPG. Above 2K, 20-22MPG.

Originally Posted By: shrooms
I think if you went 65MPH or lower, you may have gotten more mileage.

The MPV has the Duratec 3.0 and mileage drops like a rock after 2K RPM. Below 2K and lower, I'll get 25-27MPG. Above 2K, 20-22MPG.

True, but I set the cruz at 2500RPM which is 72 MPH for the 2.3.

I get 33.9 mpg on my 2006 Toyota Camry V6. 508 miles/15.001 gallons used.

Most of my driving are 98 % highway, 65 MPH Cruise control.

I think tire pressure and crusing speed will have a bigger increase in gas mileage than the oil. But either way have a safe trip to FL and watch out from those State Troopers and the speed traps.

What's your Fusion's range capacity? I drive from Nova/DC and it takes more than 2 tanks to get to Miami. That's just one way. If you require 2 tanks each way, than I would do a hand calculation as well.

Watch your traffic and speed. You don't want your gas saving pays for some cop's bonus.

By the way, 2500 rpm sounds high for your vehicle at that freeway speed. I was thinking more of 2200-2300 for most family sedan.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back