NGK Iridium Spark Plugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
i use anti-seize on every plug i have done since 1972.Never had one stuck or any issues.Use just a little and don't over tighten.
With anti-seize just slightly more than snug or 12 nm is enough in aluminum head.

If the bike uses rubber boots put a little die electric grease on the porcelain.

I just got a couple for the Virago. Putting them in tomorrow. Had a set of Autolites in before. The OEM NGK's actually gave me fits at 1k miles so I replaced them.

I ran the last set of NGK Iridium’s in my ST1100 for 90,000 miles before I changed them. After the change I didn’t notice any improvement in mileage or starting.
I should have left them in longer.

Rick

I've never used iridium plugs but I do use a lot of NGKs.

I've never had good luck with Champion plugs in anything. I've only actually had one spark plug ever "fail". It was in a Tecumseh two stroke engine. Funny thing is that it would work just fine outside the cylinder but wouldn't spark inside under compression.

I just bought a Bosch spark plug for my 26 year old Jonsereds chain saw. It's made in Brazil? By the way, the plug that's in the saw is the original NGK. It's still working fine. I have to rebuild the carb so, I thought that after that length of time, a new plug wouldn't hurt.

I have run a set of NGK iridium plugs in two different Honda GL1800's for about 10 years. They are still running fine after about 135,000 miles on them. The benefit to these plugs is that the electrode does not get eaten away by the sparks quite so quickly in contrast to standard plugs. If you want a plug that you can pretty much forget about and feel comfortable that they are going to go the distance. Spend the money on iridium plugs. The cost benefit of less maintenance on your machine in the spark plug department is huge. Think about all the sets of standard plugs that you wouldn't replace over time with just one set of iridium plugs. I need to inspect by plugs but last I checked them about 45000 miles ago they were still in good shape.

Hope this helps anyone looking for a positive and definitive factually based review of this type of equipment. My experience has been real, time tested and positive.

Phil

The iridium center electrode is longer wearing, the ground electrode, is what will wear severely. What ever your recommended change interval is , you can easily go 60% longer though.

I recently replaced a set recommended at 32,ooo miles, but they actually had 52,000 miles on them , they were severly worn, I was surpised I wasnt getting misfires, or should soon start.

Course This bike sees 12,000 rpm many times

I have ran only NGK Iridiums for a few years now. I put just a tad of anti-seize and try to spread a very thin coat working around the threads. I just pull them once a year just to be sure they remain looking good. So far, so good.

I have swapped back and forth in my car and truck between
super high dollar plugs and "less expensive" plugs...typically
the "platinum". I NEVER could tell any difference between plugs.
I suppose if you want to "install and forget", the Iridium plugs would be the way to go. I have come to the personal conclusion that Iridium's are NOT worth the money....for a lot less you still get an excellent plug in the platinum tips, etc.

From what I have seen, the poor gas we get now makes plug changes more necessary that the vehicle manufacturers specify.
I find about 50K miles is reasonable and economical number to change plugs. I would NOT go that far in a motorcycle....maybe 20K.... just my two cents.

My Toyota Tundra Owner's Manual spec'd the high dollar Iridium plugs....and it came from the factory with the CHEAPEST NGK plugs out there....$2.24 retail !! The reason I found this out was that the truck started running a little worse so I pulled the plugs and was stunned to find some very burned down "basic" plugs in it, not the super-duper high dollar plugs Toyota specifies! Toyota wants YOU to spend $12 a plug, but they put $2.00 plugs in....at atleast they did in my truck!

I can tell you that the fine wire plugs DO work better, give better low end power and fractionally cleaner burning in a 2-Stroke engine. Doesn't have to be Iridium, but the fine wire plugs DO help in 2-Strokes (dirt bikes).

Last edited:
Sure Iridiums last longer but cost 3x as much. In my experience ordinary plugs last much longer than the service schedule change intervals. If you are racing perhaps they need regular attention but some Suzuki riders get 50,000klm out of plugs where the schedule states changing every 24,000klm....double. In my Yamaha Vmax the schedule is every 8,000 miles and I get way past that. I change when and if things start coughing & splutering or I make it to "double". Running on unleaded fuel has greatly increased spark plug life expectancy.

not worth it unless youre racing, normal platinum plugs are cheaper in the long run and provide pretty much the same power and efficiency.

I've got NGK standard standard spark plugs in some machines that are 30 years old with a great deal of time on them working just fine.

Spark plugs are mechanical pieces with the business end being very obvious and easy to get at. Inspection and cleaning will extend the life of a spark plug well beyond motorcycle company's recommendation.

In all of my years, I've had only two spark plugs fail due to unknown and unseen causes and I have over 45 OPE machines, motorcycles, ATVs, snowmobiles, outboard motors and autos.

The only place I would us iridium plugs would be in an engine that is very difficult to service. Some late 80's GM V6 engines are a good example. I've been told that in order to change the rear spark plugs, the motor mounts had to be loosened in order to tilt the engine forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back