A/C compressor pulley get extremely hot

Status
Not open for further replies.
1994 Ford Bronco Full Size with about 200k miles.

My A/C compressor has an issue and makes very loud noise as well as smoke. I think the clutch is either gone or about to be gone. Therefore, I disconnected the wire on top of the and loud noise, severe squeak, and smoke are gone. I put on a new belt as well as 2 pulley but did not touch the A/C pulley.

I notice that my A/C pulley gets very hot even on a cold day and after 5 mins of running. For example, it was 60 degrees F today and I had the hood up to check to make sure the new pulleys (idler and tensioner) are working properly and notice the A/C pulley was extremely hot to to the touch, and that was only after about 5 minutes of idling my my driveway.

Is that a bad thing and will cause my belt to wear out. Other pulleys that I can safely reach is cool to the touch.

My second question is that I applied Black Magic rubber, plastic, leather treatment to the belt and notice it is extremely dirty with black stuff coming onto the towel. I let the vehicle ran while putting a clean rag soaked with Black Magic and the rag turned deep black instantly. I spray the pulleys with the Black Magic fluid to get it on the grooves of the belt. It has protected my dashboard, rubber seal, as well as plastic parts in my vehicles so I want to try some on the belt. Is this a good idea.

The compressor is seized, which caused the clutch to fail and trashed the bearing. Either get a new compressor (among other parts to get the AC working again, that is if you want to fix the AC) or get a shorter belt and bypass the compressor altogether.

Did the compressor seize? Or was the AC still functional? When my AC compressor seized, it ripped off my pulley off the harmonic balancer!

I would not put anything on the belts. Youre seeing oxidation which is the result of heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back