Which oil for Isuzu Bighorn?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can I have some advice please - I've got an Isuzu Bighorn (at least thats what its called here in New Zealand), 3-litre double o/head cam turbo diesel, uses oil pressure to activate the injector pump. When the motor is cold, regardless of the air temp (and the temp here can drop to -7C, rises to 30C)it will take 10 to 15 revs on the starter before it fires - when the motor is warm/hot/been in use it will fire after 3 or 4 revs. The manufacturers recommend 5W-30 - my question is, will)OW-30 improve how quickly it will build pressure and activate the injectors when the motor is cold?

welcome2.gif
to BITOG

I don't see why a 0W-30 would not work as long as it meets the specs your engine calls for.

Are your glow plugs in good working order? I would look at that before running non-spec oil, especially if your engine is a HEUI-type with oil pressure actuated injection.

3-litre double o/head cam turbo diesel? Man I wish we had those choices here in the states.

Yeah its a lovely motor, smooth and quiet, and a well matched 4 spd auto too. Just a little annoying when it has to wind over ten or so times when its cold to build up oil pressure to activate the fuel pump, you need a good battery. Once its warm though its fine.
There's heaps of them over here, they're a good-sized family SUV, maybe they're called Troopers over there. I bought it 4 years ago imported from Japan(1998 model)for $18K NZD and fully licenced ready to roll, with 42 guaranteed Ks on the clock, its done another 100Ks now, mostly on rough gravel roads and its as good a new but with a few little rattles and squeeks because of the roads.

Glenn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back