Mazda6 spec 0w20

Status
Not open for further replies.
For 2011, Mazda specs an 0w20 motor oil.

Here is what the manual says:

Recommended Oil:

Use SAE 0w20 engine oil (2.5-Liter engine).
Oil container labels provide important information.

A chief contribution this type of oil makes to fuel economy is reducing the amount of fuel necessary to overcome engine friction.

USA & Canada

*picture of ILSAC label*

Only use oils "Certified For Gasoline Engines" by the American Protoleum Institute (API). An oil with this trademark symbol conforms to the current engine and emmission system protection standards and fuel economy requirements of the International Lubricant Standardization and Approval Committee (ILSAC), comprised of U.S. and Japanese automobile manufacturers."

*Shows thermometer with 0W-20 below it*

Except U.S.A and CANADA

*shows API label*

(Mexico)
Use SAE 0w-20 engine oil. If SAE 0W-20 engine oil is not available, use SAE 5W-20, 5W-30 engine oil. The quality designation SM, or ILSAC must be on the label.

*shows thermometer with 0W-20 below it*

Mazda recommends Mazda Genuine Parts and Castrol (U.S.A and Mexico). For optimal engine performance, there are certain types of engine oils and filters suitable for your vehicle. Please consult an Authorized Mazda Dealer.

-END

So Mazda says "Recommended Oil" and then calls for 0w20, but in Mexico 5w20 and even 5w30 are okay? Mazda does not state anywhere that a 0w20 MUST be used, but says "use 0w20" and "recommends 0w20." So if I were to use 5w20 would this void my car warranty?

I asked the dealer and there response was something to the affect of "using our service department ensures proper Mazda products are used in the servicing of your vehicle."

The Mazda manual also states that they recommend that oil changes be performed by the dealer...they don't even have instructions on how to DIY.

The problem is that 0w20 is real hard to find around here...and if I do find it at a store they will have one or two quarts of it (almost always Mobil 1 0w20 AFE) for $8/qt. I'm surprised that all of these car manufacturers spec this oil and force you to use it when it is still an uncommon oil weight. Why not state "5w20 is acceptable if you cannot find 0w20?"

My mom has the same car except it is 2010 auto version. Her book states 5W-20 is fine and is recommended. I doubt they made changes to the engine between 10 and 11. Just want you to use synthetic for longer OCIs.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Use M1 or PP 5w20....and don't lose any sleep over it. You'll still be warranty covered.

I understand that Walmart carries M1 0w20 in 5 quart jugs. If they don't have it....just go with a quality 5w20.

Last edited:
WM sells M1 0-20 for $6.20 a qt. Also some are now saying they have 0-20 in the 5 qt jug for $24.50. Also AZ and AAP, several times a year put on oil sales for M1, PP, and others. If you want 0-20 oil it can't be that hard to find.

Mazda says 5,000 miles for severe service and 7,500 miles for normal driving. I will most likely go with an OCI somewhere in the middle as I do a lot of highway driving (~20k/yr).

Yes, this motor is the same as the one in the 2010 which specs 5w20. I think they just spec'd a 0w20 for CAFE reasons.

If you use good 0W20 synthetic such as M1 and your driving condition is easy on oil you can easily go with much longer than 7.5k OCI. But you want to stay with 7.5k OCI during warranty.

Originally Posted By: GMFan
Mazda says 5,000 miles for severe service and 7,500 miles for normal driving. I will most likely go with an OCI somewhere in the middle as I do a lot of highway driving (~20k/yr).

Yes, this motor is the same as the one in the 2010 which specs 5w20. I think they just spec'd a 0w20 for CAFE reasons.

I don't do a lot of highway driving and my 2.3L and PP 5w20 easily go 10k OCIs. The recent UOA is in the UOA forum.

If you want to do 7.5k OCIs or less and your dealer does the standard $20 oil change with filter like my dealer does, go with that. Most Mazda dealerships that are quality places use Motorcraft 5w20 and would work for the OCIs you are describing easily.

Last edited:
Which begs the question, is Mazda selling their own 0W-20 brand oil?

Toyota and Honda of course do, so 0W-20 is as close as your nearest Toyota, Lexus or Honda dealer. The best value is probably the Honda 0W-20 syn blend at 3 bucks/qt.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Mazda does have their own brand of 0W-20; don't know who makes it for them in the States but in Canada my local Mazda dealer says it's made by Petro-Canada.

This may well be true i.e. PC makes the Mazda 0W20 in Canada but don't you recall when you and others were trying to track down the supplier of Toyota's 0W20, more often than not the dealer either didnt know or had the wrong information i.e. wrong supplier
smirk.gif

Which begs the question, is Mazda selling their own 0W-20 brand oil?

Toyota and Honda of course do, so 0W-20 is as close as your nearest Toyota, Lexus or Honda dealer. The best value is probably the Honda 0W-20 syn blend at 3 bucks/qt.

Where can we get Honda 0W-20 for $3?

BTW BruceT, a very generous BITOG member is having both COF versions of the Honda Brand 0W-20 oil VOA'ed by Dyson.

So in a couple of weeks (I believe) he will be posting the results. It will be interesting to see what the difference is between the two oils and how they compare to the original Idemitsu made version
that we still get in Canada.

what dealers have you called to get these prices. ice called a few different dealers, either toyota or honda, and keep getting different prices. do you have any actual part numbers that i call them with ???

The Honda list price for the oil is only $3.78/qt, that's the maximum price you should get from your local Honda dealer.

Not really. Dealers can charge any price they want, sometimes more the list price. I bought 8 liters newer formula MB ATF for my E430 4 years ago, the list price was $7.xx but my dealer charged me more than $10. I asked why more than list price, they said it was their price and if I did not like the price then just go to other dealer. I called other dealers within 25 miles the next day, all of them wanted similar price within 50 cents.

The reason was the list price of old formula was $10.xx a liter and the new/improve formula was $7.xx a liter, MB dealers did not like to sell newer/better formula for less than the old formula.

Another case, MB coolant was listed at $22.95 a gallon but my dealer wants $29.95.

Probably the best way is call several Honda dealers around to see if one of them do price match, then print the price of Bernardi Honda to that dealer to get the $3/qt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back