Napa gold any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to napa to pick up an oil filter today, was going to go P1 but they only had Napa products. So I got the "top of the line" napa filter, which is a "gold". From what it says on the box seems like a quality filter. I'm running it with Mobil 1 EP and was going to run a 7-8k oci in my honda, will the filter be up to the task?

If it's the 1334, it's a pretty solid oil filter, IMO. Good for mid-tier grade filters, not top of the line, but isn't extremely far off. IMO, closer to top quality than entry level stuff.

It's probably the Napa Gold 1356 which is the same as the WIX 51356. Very good filters. The main complaint is the thread-end bypass which results in less filtering media area. But for all practical purposes and in typical uses that won't make any difference.

Originally Posted By: barlowc
It's probably the Napa Gold 1356 which is the same as the WIX 51356. Very good filters. The main complaint is the thread-end bypass which results in less filtering media area. But for all practical purposes and in typical uses that won't make any difference.

+1 Good filter! EXACTLY the same as the Wix as BarlowC said.

crazy2.gif
your kidding right?

Originally Posted By: daman
crazy2.gif
your kidding right?

+1 Youve been a member since January and you havent gotten that one yet? Napa Gold = house brand greatness

Originally Posted By: yaris0128
Originally Posted By: daman
crazy2.gif
your kidding right?

+1 Youve been a member since January and you havent gotten that one yet? Napa Gold = house brand greatness

shame on you
wink.gif

The Wix/NAPA Gold filters are top of the line popular-priced filters - and well worth the extra couple of dollars over the cheapies in my opinion. Wix is a very old brand. In fact, I believe they invented the spin-on type filter long ago.

The only problem I see with NAPA Gold filters and Mobil 1 EP in combination is if you hate your car and DON'T want it to run to high mileage.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
Solid filter, that one. Could I use that on my Civic instead of the 1334? Looks like better filtration ratings.

http://wixfilters.com/filterlookup/PartDetail.asp?Part=51334

The 51334's Beta Ratio: 2/20=22/40 worse than the 1356's beta ratio.

The 1356's Beta Ratio: 2/20=6/19

That's what I meant. I have used the (5)1334 Wix/NG filters on my Civic. I wish I could use the 1356. Not sure if it would fit my application or not, and if so how much more oil to add at oil change?

OR... you can get the WIX filter on Amazon in a 12 pack for way cheaper than you could EVER buy Napa Golds.

Lets say you want the 51334MP (multipack)...
http://www.amazon.com/Wix-Filter-51334MP...2640&sr=1-1

$50.36+12.74 (shipping) = $63.10

63.10 / 12 (number of filters) = 5.26
napa gold @ Napa: $7.29

YOUR napa MAY sell them in multipack at a savings.

Food for thought!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: kemo
63.10 / 12 (number of filters) = 5.26

That is a good deal. About a buck apiece less than I pay at counter price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back