Ponitac Vibe tune-up

Status
Not open for further replies.
My parents have a 05 Vibe standard engine automatic with 95k. It's had very little done to it over the years, mostly because of my sister being the hospital. I'm going to go through and do all the fluids, filters and spark plugs. Sticking to whatever I can pick up at the local store, no trips to the dealer. Most likely they'll trade this off in a year or 2. That's the plan anyways.

Fluids are pretty straight forward. Maxlife ATF, Dexcool for the antifreeze. Filters are pretty much straight forward but apparently only OReilly carries a gas filter at $32. Ouch starting to remember why I don't care for Toyota's, I have buy 3 gas filters for the Escape for that price. What I don't know about is spark plugs? I don't have the manual to refer to. Any suggestions and tips?

gas filter is inside gas tank and not serviceable IIRC.
Are you sure about Dexcool? Toyota Matrix uses Toyota Long life red, excellent coolant. I would avoid Deathcool at all cost. Iridium plugs, good for 100,000 miles.

You will not change the fuel filter, unless you have a SST and a lot of time on your hand, it is in the fuel pump in the tank, that is why the filter is hard to find.

Not sure if that is the right coolant, may want to look at the toyota pink or Peak Global Lifetime coolant.

Use Denso or NGK iridium plugs only. Make sure the Maxlife is T-IV compatible.

If I remember correctly, my '04 Vibe had Denso Iridium plugs.

As stated, no go on the fuel filter. Unless you REALLY want to change it.

If the drive belt hasn't be replaced recently, I'd check that out and probably replace it.

And just do the fluid swaps. My vibe did come with the Toyota Pink fluid. I just flushed it all out at 2 years for green fluid, and drain and fill once a year, it's cheap and easy. You might consider doing a trans pan drop, and filter change. I did mine at about 140k miles, and there was some junk in there.

I love this car, at 150k miles, it hasn't had one issue. Knock on wood....
smile.gif

Thanks guys. I wasn't aware of it having no gas filter. I'll pick up Denso or NGK Iridium's. Maxlife is TIV compatible. I think also Castrol's import fluid is TIV but it's more expensive. If it wasn't I'd go with Castrol's. I'll look at the drive belt but probably won't replace it yet. How hard is it to drop the pan? Are all the bolts accessible without being a gymnast? My 2 cars a impossible to get the pan off. Never seen any Peak Global around here if I do I'll use it. Don't know about green but it is a good idea. I really don't like Dexcool after the issues they had with the 3.4 Impala. I know it's a good antifreeze regardless.

My mom does like the Vibe my dad doesn't so much. It has a sportier ride where dad prefers the big comfy car type of ride. No issues with it yet.. a couple recalls that haven't been done yet though.

Trans pan bolts are all accessible. Couldn't be any easier.

My parent have a '05 Vibe, and I changed the drive belt over the summer with 65k miles on it. I was surprised how many cracks were in it.

I too run Maxlife in the trans.

If you drop the tranny pan, there is a screen/filter that can be cleaned and the bottom of the pan will be caked with clutch material. 3.5 quarts with for a single drain and refill. New gasket it pretty cheap.

I had a Corolla with the same engine. Great engine, but I replaced the OEM drive belt with an aftermarket replacement after only 20k miles due to drive belt noise. With so many miles, I'd go ahead and replace it.

I'd run whatever coolant is specified in the owner's manual. The Toyota Super Long Life Fluid is a 5 year fluid, so change it once and you're done.

Looks like the DENSO SK16R11 is the plug to use as this seems to be the OE plug.
You want to stick with the exact OE number to get the 100K service life out of the replacement plug.
The DENSO aftermarket website also lists this as the OEM identical plug.
There is most likely a NKG OEM identical plug as well.....my Toyota owner's manual lists BOTH a DENSO number and a NKG number and states to use either one.
They are $7.52 each at Rockauto, $9.35 each at Sparkplugs.com but you will need to compare shipping costs to see which is cheaper overall.
You do NOT adjust or even check, the gap on these plugs...trying to do so can easily cause damage to them...they will come with a sleeve over the end to prevent the gap from being bumped during shipment.
The gap is correct within specifications from the factory.

My reason for stressing to stick with the OEM specified plug number......
For my TOYOTA....there is a Power plus plug listed that claims better performance...an ultra thin electrode..however reading the fine print elsewhere on the DENSO website......I found that the, more expensive, power plus plug is rated by DENSO for "up to 30K miles" where my OEM specification plug is rated for "up to 120K miles"......quite a difference, particularly since the rear 3 on my V6 motor are not an easy change job.

Eric, I'm glad you brought this up. I need to do a bit more than an oil change on my mom's next 2008 Vibe visit to the house.

I'm not concerned about the plugs at this point, because she's only got around 45Kmi on it.

The transmissions do have a drain plug and a dipstick, so drain/fills are all this one will see. I'll use Maxlife.

Even though it's a Toyota powertrain, GM loaded them up with Dexcool out of the kindness of their hearts. I'd like to convert that to conventional green.

Joel

Last edited:
An update on this. I worked on the Vibe a few days ago. I pulled the trans plug and replaced with 3.5 quarts of Maxlife. Also suctioned out the PS reservoir and refilled with Maxlife. I changed the plugs with identical Denso's. Not sure if they needed replaced yet but I figured it was good insurance, $8 something a piece good grief. They were a bit rusty. The service manual says 120k and it has 96k on it. The cabin and air filters were also changed. Both were factory items I think the air filter said Toyota anyways. I didn't have time to pull the pan or change the coolant and I forgot about the belt. I told them this will need to be done sometime before summer hits. Overall seems in good shape but dang Toyota parts are expensive. Reminds me why I stick to certain brands.

Originally Posted By: Eric Smith
Overall seems in good shape but dang Toyota parts are expensive. Reminds me why I stick to certain brands.

Compared to one of your cars, who much more did you spend? $30? $40? The difference is probably the cost of a tank of gas. Plugs, filters and fluids are at most, replaced every few years. The increase in cost for these items should not be used against a brand, IMO, as the cost is minimal.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Originally Posted By: Eric Smith
Overall seems in good shape but dang Toyota parts are expensive. Reminds me why I stick to certain brands.

Compared to one of your cars, who much more did you spend? $30? $40? The difference is probably the cost of a tank of gas. Plugs, filters and fluids are at most, replaced every few years. The increase in cost for these items should not be used against a brand, IMO, as the cost is minimal.

I agree.

I bought a AC Delco brand air filter from my parts store, and it was a factory Denso unit. I use Wix cabin filters.

How was the drive belt?

Cabin Filter Escape $18 .. Vibe $25
Air Filter Escape $10 .. Vibe $15
Spark Plugs Escape $3 .. Vibe $9

And that's just the regular PM items. Doesn't matter how you argue it Toyota's are typically more expensive to buy and more to maintain.

The drive belt did look terrible compared to our Escape's with 110k. Granted it's a smaller belt they probably should of engineered a slightly wider belt for longer life.

Two observations for your perusal.

1) Some parts are actually cheaper via Pontiac than Toyota. Case in point: the wiper delay switch was much cheaper than from Toyota. I only know this because though I have a Scion xA, that Vibe/Matrix switch had variable timing and would work in my Scion. I found that price discrepancy in my search for that part. Ended up getting a used one (from a Vibe) from Ebay.

2) On the other hand, there are quite a few discount Toyota parts places online that have good prices and good service. You might want to look at the interchangeable maintenance parts on those sites. PM me if you want a list of a couple I have had experience with.

The Pontiac Vibe and Toyota Matrix were essentially siblings produced at the NUMMI plant in California as a joint venture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back