Anyone have experience with a GrassHopper mower?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for some insight...while I received the mower deck manual and the tractor manual, I didn't receive the engine manual.

Its a 2000 Model 725k, with 650 hours. Anything I should look at as far as wear items? I determined the front caster bearings were loose, so I order those along with new axle bolts. I also ordered new blades. I did order the replacement mower mount bushings (several of both the floating and non-floating versions) that insert where the mower attaches to the tractor as mine are worn...and I bought new bolts too in case they were worn bent.

I don't believe its seen grease in a few years...the PO claimed to have not used it more than 20 hours in the past two years; so who know how long its actually gone without fresh grease. It doesn't look devoid of grease, just like it hasn't been greased in a while. When I asked him if it had zerks on the blade spindles, he replied they were sealed bearings...when I had my finger on one of the zerks, so I doubt he grease all, if any, of the probably 25+ zerks I've discovered. He did change the engine oil and the hydrotrans fluid (more on that later), and all the filters...so it wasn't completely neglected.

The OE drive tires are serviceable, but worn; and will probably need replaced before next year. Is there a more turf friendly tire option than the ag-tread (read: Carlilse AT101) flotation tires they come with?

I believe its got a 25hp OHV Kohler...and I think its a Command series? Its a pressurized oil system with the filter and has an external oil cooler. Is this the Command? I assume I can run 5w40 Schaeffers S9k in this thing without too much worry (JTK??)?

The manual states either GrassHopper-brand hydro fluid, or Mobile DTE-18 (I will need to verify that exact number). What's that translate to in other fluid options? I would think this would be a standard hydrotrans fluid of some sort? The PO gave me the remaining portion of a 5-gallon bucket of the Mobile fluid, but I've read that its not as good as the GrassHopper fluid, which is also prohibitively expensive at close to $20/quart. I believe they call them out as Gemini motors/trans?

Thanks

Try posting your questions here~

http://www.lawnsite.com/

Good luck
smile.gif

I have a 2004 model similar to yours. As far as fluids, I would probably use the Grasshopper fluid. I believe it’s blended specifically for them for the Gemini pumps and is not simply a rebranded fluid. In the motor, I’ve been running German Castrol the last few years. It seems to work well. It also seemed to be fine with the M1 10W30 EP that I ran prior to that. The Schaeffers would probably be fine, but 30W is recommended by Kohler and robust 30 weights have worked will for me. Mowers with the Kohler and twin hydros are not particularly efficient, perhaps another reason to use a 30W.

I’ve been running Napa Gold 1348 oil filters. I blow my mower off after each use with the air compressor to remove the dirt and dust, concentrating especially on the oil heat exchanger (cooler). I have bar tread tires on mine, which offer much better traction in my rough hilly yard. However, they will throw sod if you’re not careful, especially if the soil is damp. IIRC, the bar tread tires were an option over the standard turf tires. Not sure if the wheel size is the same for both.

Mine has zerks on the front caster wheel axles, the rear caster wheel axles (twin rear tires), and the deck drive shaft yoke which need grease every 8 hours. Each of the three deck spindles has a zerk and those call for grease every 40 hours. There is one additional zerk in a carrier bearing (can’t remember where off the top of my head) that calls for grease every 80 hours. However, the shop warned me that this bearing is easily overgreased and damaged, and is very difficult to replace. So I only add about half a squeeze from the gun at 80 hour intervals. I believe that’s all the zerks on mine. The front and rear caster spindle bearings are sealed on mine.

I’ve had relatively little trouble with mine. But I only use it about 45 hours per year. The biggest problem I’ve had is breakage of the plastic cooling fans for the hydro pumps. Occasionally small sticks are driven into a fan and break the blades.

Originally Posted By: deeter16317

I believe its got a 25hp OHV Kohler...and I think its a Command series? Its a pressurized oil system with the filter and has an external oil cooler. Is this the Command? I assume I can run 5w40 Schaeffers S9k in this thing without too much worry (JTK??)?

Yep, it is a Command series twin on that machine. You can grab manuals from kohlerengines.com if you want them. Kohler specs 10w30 for their engines, but the OEM that use the engines will sometimes beef up the engine oil spec and recommend something better suited for the application. I've run 10w30, 5w40 and 15w40 in them and they ran and performed flawlessly.

In regards to the drive system oil, I've got nothing against OEM/dealer fluids, but tend to go the generic route when possible.

I'll PM you a couple of really good OPE sites that I've participated on for years that will have Grasshopper info for you.

Joel

Thanks for all the input.

I know the GrassHopper fluids have a 1000 hour drain interval, but I'm with JTK; I like to change a commonly available fluid a little more often. I was wondering if I could use a Schaeffer hydraulic fluid in its place??

I did down load the Kohler manual last night, but I wanted to make sure I downloaded the correct manual...I'm still stuck in the K-series era!

Brian:

The tire size is very difficult to nail down...21x11x8 is not a very common size at all, and I've only found the bar tread as the option. I did read about periodically cleaning the oil cooler, that's a great idea...blowing it out with compressed air. I also know about those pillow block bearings...they are very easy to blow the seals out if you pump them full of grease too fast.

Watch for blown head gaskets. Kohler is my favorite small engine but the 25hp is well known for head gasket issues. Other than that I have no experience with grass hopper mowers. Mine or all Gravely and Exmark. Nobody sells grasshopper around here.

Its Mobile DTE-18M fluid (the alternative GrassHopper recommended fluid). The specs are "hydraulic oil, ISO VG 100"...whatever that means??

Well, started some preventative maintenance tonight...

Drained the oil and pulled the filter...found the PF3600 filter I bought was about 3/8" too long. Will need to get another filter tomorrow. The oil was clear on the dipstick, but dark and thick in the pan...probably been in there a while. Figure I'll do a short interval on 5w40 Schaeffers to clean things out. The air filter was pretty bad, and there was evidence the thing had been leaking since there was a small amount of visible dirt on the clean side of the housing. There was a little oil from the breather tube, possibly from the filter being plugged (sucking air out of the case).

Started pulling pieces on the deck...greased the spindles, pulled the (plastic) idlers and greased their sealed bearings. Found one of the tensioner arms was seizing, dry of grease...so I pulled both of them and got them loosened up. So everything but the guide wheels and the 90* gear box are touched...as noted, I got parts coming for the wheels; but I'm not really sure of the gear box? I also pulled the driveshaft off the PTO shaft...the coupler was almost frozen. Greased the shaft and sprayed the coupler with PB Blaster...that seems good to go.

I took a look at the deck mounts, and pieces of the bushings fell out when I pulled the releases. Good thing I ordered new ones (and new bolts). Can anyone explain what the "deck stand" thing does, or where its supposed to be inserted?

As you can see, except for the engine; I'm starting in the front and working towards the rear...one thing at a time. Overall, its seems in good shape. I actually enjoy doing this kind of stuff...not rushed, and kinda relaxing.

Well, tonight I installed a new oil filter...but didn't start it because I couldn't acquire an airfilter.

I pulled the deck, and found the bushings fragged, so that's likely where my play was coming from. I got the deck in the air, wire brushed the underside and blew it down with some old paint I had...it wasn't bad, just figured while it was dry, I hit it. Pulled the bladed, wow are they toast...even worse than I thought, the inner one had the lift portion completely worn away!

I pulled both front wheels, found fragged bearings. Pulled the yokes and cleaned the swivels, then reinstalled. Also pulled the one antiscalp roller because it has a bent bolt, and I have ordered a replacement.

The only two other thing note worthy: the felt washers under the blades need replaced and the 90* gearbox is filled with oil. I was told today the gearbox is a factory sealed unit, but mine has a drain plug. Not sure about a fill plug, might either need to flip the deck up or remove the box.

The 90* gearbox, what would one think would be an acceptable fluid? I have 75w140 and 85w140 on hand, too thick?? It looked like a standard gear oil, the little bit I could see...

I'm considering changing it...

I usually use 75w90 if I'm not sure what's in there, but I'm sure 75 or 85w140 would be fine too as long as it's clean and the level is maintained.

In regards to the engine oil filter, I use PH3600 / MC FL400 or equiv on my Kohler V-twins, but clearance between engine/machine can be an issue in some applications. What I would do in your case is get a shorter Motorcraft FL793 / ST3614 filter. It's 3.4" long as opposed to the 4.8" long 3600's.

Joel

I got the Purolator version of that shorter filter...it had lots of room, that's why I thought I could sneak a 3600 in there!

I may drain and refill that 90* box...just to say I did it. But I got to flip the deck up to do it, and that's not easy when it weighs as much as it does!

Short of installing the blades last night, I got it all back together.

I installed new guide wheel bearings...that was strange in itself as they are not a typical bearing and are designed to be pinched in the yoke. This isn't a problem but, even though there is a grease fitting on that hub, there is no way for grease to get to the bearing?? Maybe once they wear a bit??

Also got my new axle bolt installed in the anti-scalp wheel.

I installed new deck mount bushings and their bolts...that fixed a good bit of my mower deck movement. The deck is reinstalled. I also moved the bolt up one notch...the PO had the bolt at the lowest position, with the spacers under the yokes...deck would have been riding at an angle.

The original deck bushings fell out in several pieces, and are a single "D" shaped piece of plastic. They don't allow much up-down pivoting (from side to side of the deck). The optional bushings are a little smaller, and have a groove to allow each arm to raise up slightly which allows the deck to pivot a bit separately from the tractor. I have several sets, and if there is a binding issue; I'll install the optional ones.

I finished greasing everything...the pillow blocks didn't want to take grease. I may simply need a new coupler for my grease gun...but I did get some grease into them finally.

I also pulled the two small idler pulleys on the hydro belts...one was pretty dry and the other had little grease. Hopefully I caught those in time. There's another idler on the belts driving the PTO, but its a metal one and I'll just replace it later.

One of the POs welded one of the optional blade shrouds onto the deck...I was going to remove it, didn't happen. I'll take it out at the end of the season...when my elbow has healed.

And then my issue with the oil cooler and the mystery plate behind it...the cooler was pretty much decoration with that plate in place. It wasn't very effective without air flowing through it.

Just thought I'd update a little...

I removed the air-foil under the deck, but I will probably reinstall it this winter as it keeps grass from blowing out from the front of the deck (and all over you).

I bought a second set of blades...both sets are OE Grasshopper. The set I removed and discarded when I bought the mower looked like Gator blades, probably Grasshopper's mulching blade. I initially installed a set of "contour" blades that look a lot like the mulching blade under older mulching mowers (the long swept curved edge), but found they SUCK in moderately heavy grass. So I bought a set of "extreme high lift notched" blades, which are about twice as thick, twice as heavy, and about 1/2 wider than the contour blades...they are also noisy. However, it will mow the heavy grass with ease now...blows clippings at least 20 feet to the side!

I installed a new driveshaft/jackshaft from the tractor to the deck...mine was a OE part with the square slip joint...the one I bought is aftermarket, and has a splined slip joint...much smoother operation.

I drained and refilled the mower's 90* gearbox with 85w140 Royal Purple. The tractor actually seems to work easier now...wonder if the old fluid had ever been changed, although it looked fine.

Overall, excellent mower...we have one of the nicer looking yards in the neighborhood, even though most of it was a hay field last year. It definitely does a nicer job than our adjoining neighbors' riders...although those machines may never see any maintenance either.

Now if I ever get to use it again...never thought I'd need to fight with the wife to mow the grass!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back