0W-20 AFE OIL

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's a lot of 0w20 out there. M1 just has a somewhat separate label for it, and 5qt jugs! There's VSP and PP in a 0w20 flavor but only in expensive 1qts. Gotta watch the ads and catch those on sale.

Just an FYI, my local WM has M1 for 24.50 except for the 0w20 which is 23.50. Seems like they are really trying to push the 0w20 and to swap the people from picking the 0w30 because they feel it will be better.

when you view the chart on the back of M1 AFE, youll see the fuel economy isnt all that "advanced", in fact my cars fuel economy is most "advanced" with edge 5w20 in the sump

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dubie2003
Just an FYI, my local WM has M1 for 24.50 except for the 0w20 which is 23.50. Seems like they are really trying to push the 0w20 and to swap the people from picking the 0w30 because they feel it will be better.

For $1.00 difference?

Originally Posted By: lonestar60
Toyota Prius requires 0W-20 AFE oil. The only manufacturer that I can find is Mobil 1. Are there any others?

You can use any 0w20 and you can use 5w20, some 5w20's are thinner than the 0w's. AFE is a brand of oil from XOM. It is also a catch all term 'advanced fuel economy', so I see how you could get confused. Don't worry they will all work well in your vehicle. Usually it happens to be that M1 0w20AFE IS the cheapest 0w. Only when AAP has a sale on EDGE does EDGE 0w20 become a price competitive oil. Your manual says you can use 5w20, it is perfectly fine to use, I almost wished I would have tried the NEW Edge. So many oils so little time;)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: chubbs1
Toyota Prius requires 0W-20 AFE oil. The only manufacturer that I can find is Mobil 1. Are there any others?

You can use any 0w20 and you can use 5w20, some 5w20's are thinner than the 0w's. AFE is a brand of oil from XOM.

Their are NO 5W-20's that are lighter than the Japanese OEM 0W-20's or even M1's 0W-20.
Toyota's 0W-20 is as much as 30% lighter than a typical 5W-20 at room temperature and 20% lighter than M1 AFE 0W-20.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM

You can use any 0w20 and you can use 5w20, some 5w20's are thinner than the 0w's. AFE is a brand of oil from XOM.

Their are NO 5W-20's that are lighter than the Japanese OEM 0W-20's or even M1's 0W-20.
Toyota's 0W-20 is as much as 30% lighter than a typical 5W-20 at room temperature and 20% lighter than M1 AFE 0W-20.

OK Caterham, you are absolutely right, there are no 5w20's that are lighter than OEM 0w20's, the OEM 0w's usually have loads of VII's in them. Cheaply made oils IMO but thin none the least. Now the OP asked if he had to use M1 AFE, he doesn't. He could use any oil he wants all I was saying is that he is absolutely not "forced" to use ANY particular brand of oil. Most any 0w20 or 5w20 is fine.

IMO...There are also real quality 5w20 Dino oils on the market that might be just as acceptable for your application.

Havoline, Formula Shell, Quaker State and PYB just to name a few. Spring and summer will be here soon enough and there will be no real need for a 0w oil to be run in warm and hot temps. You really don't have to limit yourself to more expensive oils especially if you follow the manufacturers recommended OCI, for warranty purposes.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
lonestar60 said:

OK Caterham, you are absolutely right, there are no 5w20's that are lighter than OEM 0w20's, the OEM 0w's usually have loads of VII's in them. Cheaply made oils IMO but thin none the least.

There is little "cheap" about the Japanese OEM 0W-20's. They contain a boat load of expensive organic moly and they use high quality VII's. They're one of the best if not the best 0W-20 values available.
For example the Toyota Brand 0W-20 is virtually the same formulation as the ENEOS 0W-20 for half the price. While it use to be made by Nippon Oil, Mobil is now making it for North American Toyota and Lexus dealers.
They are unique 0W-20 oils; referred to as "ultra low viscosity, high VI oils". There are only four 0W-20 oils currently available in this group; Toyota, Honda, ENEOS and CAM II.

For the OP's Prius, sticking with Toyota's own 0W-20 would make sense or one of the 3 other oils I've mentioned. Choosing any other 20wt oil is effectively choosing an oil a grade heavier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back