Model 1894 Winchester, Odd Caliber

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw one in a store used in 44 Magnum. The gun was a great
price, it looked like a fun piece with nice power. 20 inch
power and light. Anyone familiar with it?

Originally Posted By: bobbob
I saw one in a store used in 44 Magnum. The gun was a great
price, it looked like a fun piece with nice power. 20 inch
power and light. Anyone familiar with it?

Not an odd caliber. Not sure why you would think this? I (and Shannow) have the same gun, well except ours are Browning.

How much was it? I saw one locally for $525. I would say if under $500, let me know - I'll buy it.
lol.gif

See my post about Rossi.

As per Pabs, I've got a Browning B92 (1892) action, not the 94.

.44Mag isn't too bad at middling distances.
3030Win_357Mag_44Mag_Comparison_Chart.jpg

I'm not a big Win 94 fan, and think the Model 92 is better suited to the .44 Magnum anyway (being designed and sized for handgun-sized cartridges), but there are certainly worse things.
I always like to say I don't think much of pistol caliber rifles either, since if carrying a rifle around, it might as well shoot a rifle cartridge.

But then I look at what I own, and see I don't practice what I preach. I've had at least one pistol caliber rifle since 1985, and have them in a few different calibers now. I don't have a lever action .44 Mag right now, but do have a Ruger 77/44 (.44 Magnum). It goes to the range almost every time I go. In fact, although bought for no good reason, that 77/44 has become a candidate for my "lightweight general purpose rifle".

I'm a fan of Jeff Cooper's Scout rifle concept, which, as originally defined, was a lightweight, handy, general purpose hunting rifle. It was capable of taking most game the average hunter would ever see, and handy enough to always have handy.
I have started to think the .44 Mag rifle might serve the purpose in dense cover areas. The .308 would also, but my 77/44 is at least two pounds lighter than my Steyr Scout .308 (which is super light itself). Where I live, the terrain can be dense woods in one area, then wide open fields a quarter mile away, so I couldn't say it would cover everything around here. If you stayed in the woods though, a .44 Mag rifle sure would do the job.

A few years ago, Indiana opened up the deer hunting regs to allow pistol caliber rifles- the first time smokeless powder rifles have been allowed in decades. I've been entertained watching some people think they need to shoe horn the largest cartridge possible per the rules into a rifle. I guess I need to spend more time in the woods, because I have not seen any elephant-sized deer.
My back trouble has ended deer hunting for me, but all reports I've heard show the .44 Magnum rifle to be just wonderful on deer.

I have loaded everything from 240 and 300 grain Hornady XTPs, cast bullets ranging from 130 grains to 320 grains, round balls, multiple round balls (two .433 balls), and shot loads in my Ruger 77/44. Almost everything shot at least as well as expected (the shot loads were pretty dismal) if not better, and would expect any other .44 Mag rifle to do similar. Feeding might be a problem with the real oddballs in some rifles, but that's why they're oddballs- because you don't need them much.

My 77/44 came to me used, with a nifty leather stock-mounted 12-loop cartridge carrier. I can have three or four different types of ammo in that carrier and in the magazine, and have ammo ranging from mild loads as quiet as .22s up through near-45-70 factory level stuff. That will take care of a lot of needs.

I'm starting to warm up to the pistol caliber rifle. At least, the .44 Magnum rifle.

Thanks, I guess it was my first one here.

I'd like a B-92 in about that shape as a user. Except that side scope mount makes even me shudder.
97% he says. Maybe without the mount. I'd deduct about 10% per screw hole that was made for it.
I did add that one to my watch list. I can't imagine I'll be buying anything soon, but I do want to watch it.

I never should have traded off my B-92 .357. It wasn't the best shooter, but it was OK and slick as could be. It was also the last gun I had left that I bought when living in Louisiana, so I should have kept it for that sentimental reason.
To make matters worse, I didn't get much for it because I traded it off right before Cowboy Action Shooting took off. It wasn't an overly popular gun at the time.

If you like cast, then maybe the B92 isn't the right rifle.

Mine doesn't like purchased cast offerings due to the microgroove type barrel (and prolly the bought stuff is undersized too compared to traditional cast loadings of 0.431 or so in a .44.

$505, wow. For a rifle with extra holes drilled in the side.

Maybe I'm being harsh, but I can't help but think of the one I got new for $280. Yes, yes, that was in 1985, but still...I also got a Ruger 77 .220 Swift, Ruger MK II pistol, and S&W 25-5 around that same time none would double their value now with holes drilled in them.

Our old(recently returned to the family, a nice story in that) .30-30, a Sears Model 54(mfg by Winchester for Sears long ago- think '94 Winchester with steel forend cap), has a collection of holes drilled into the left side of the receiver. Unsightly for sure, should knock resale value down a lot, but they really don't hurt anything.

BTW: I don't care who says what else- IMO, if you want to scope a traditional lever action, get a Marlin, they take to it beautifully. Please don't go drillin' holes in any nice old Winchesters! If you want to modify the Winchester, try a Williams or Lyman peep sight.
thumbsup2.gif

Yeah, I never could quite understand drilling a Winchester to get a side mounted scope when a Marlin could be had. If they were such a committed Winchester fan to not want a Marlin, I don't see them as the type to want a scope on one either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back