Possible reactor meltdown in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Volvo_ST1

Explaining complex systems in a for the laymen understandable manner requires a special skills.

It also takes "special skills" from the laymen, no matter how simplified the expert can explain it.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Explaining complex systems in a for the laymen understandable manner requires a special skills.

It also takes "special skills" from the laymen, no matter how simplified the expert can explain it.
wink.gif

I apologize for not removing the article when editing "skill" to plural. There was no editing time left to fix it.

Originally Posted By: Cause4Alarm
The nuclear incident in japan is now classified as a level 7 event, and it's believed that there has been a containment breach

What's your source?

Two days ago Cesium 137 and Iodine 121 were detected in the air outside the plant. Those are direct fission products, so the news of breach of containment should not come as a surprise.

When uranium and plutonium are liberated, then there's going to be a real problem. The jet stream knows no real borders.

my bad, i meant 6....i posted right before bed

Bottom line gang, Jpan is in a world of chezzze and their azzz is in the ringer,and there is nowhere to run , hide, or anything at the moment, and for many years or maybe 100s of years, that spot is screwed for human life. Just think about the water tables much less ocean contaminats,,its inless...........

Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
Geez, I hope those 2012 people weren't right.
35.gif

Gotta admit, it made me wonder too. Even though I think that is total BULL. (2012)

Now there's a report that the remaining workers have been evacuated from the plant.

Not seeing it at google news. Important stuff like that please post a link.

Im seeing the words at CNN, but not seeing the specifics in the linked news stories. Wonder if it is real.

Not looking forward to reading more tomorrow AM.

The plant has officially been evacuated now.

These last 50 were truly heros, and were willing to give up everything, including their own lives. They stayed until the last possible minute. The only thing they can do now is get everyone around the plant evacuated if possible. With everyone gone, the plant will soon engage in a full runaway, and after that is anyone's guess. Reactor 3 also contains a form of fuel called MOX, a mixture of uranium and plutonium.

Is MOX good or bad? Better or worse than other fuel types/sources? What is the implication of having that there?

To put it in perspective, 1 mg of plutonium from a MOX fueled reactor is as deadly to the environment as 2,000,000 mg of enriched uranium. It's anyone's guess as to how much of it is in the reactor itself.

It means if any of the material gets liberated the jet stream will carry if swiftly to the US West Coast, then across the US and on to Europe. Dilution is not necessarily a great solution, especially because the fallout can be quite concentrated, for example when it rains over a certain area. The radiation itself is less of an issue. Breathe in plutonium particles, and things don't look great. Plutonium is extremely toxic.

The good news is that at least you won't have to worry about buying KI tablets to block Iodine-131 uptake. Those have been sold out for a while.

Keep an eye on the jet stream forecast: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=7Gr8hr4W64E

Originally Posted By: wrcsixeight
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Now there's a report that the remaining workers have been evacuated from the plant.

Not seeing it at google news. Important stuff like that please post a link.

Japanese based news in English.
http://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/r/movie/

Thanks for the link. I was just watching and they had ANOTHER aftershock during the broadcast. The amount of continuing aftershock is crazy, to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back