Why would TCW3 smooth out an idle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried it for giggles. I have been fighting a cold idle stumble on my dreaded Ford 4.2 on the intake side. PCV, EGR, DPMS,MAF, ATS, TPS, all replaced or cleaned & resistance tested I did intake manifold gaskets and isolator bolts without the lean code this time, as I could not find a vacuum leak anywhere else. Plugs, wires, fuel filter and tested coil pack. I hate this engine.

I dump TCW3 following a fuel system cleaner and 1/8 tank later it starts and warms up like it was meant to. All I can think is it lubed an injector going bad, or the fuel system cleaner started something ahead of it. I did not check the pressure at the fuel rail before, and maybe I should have
blush.gif
I will just enjoy it while it lasts, but i am one of the bigger skeptics here on help from a can.

I have been running tcw3 for a long time. It is good, but not a cure all. Last nite I replaced all the injector o rings, one vacuum line, clean and sanded the fuel rail cups where the injectors sit. Today I will finish replacing the rest of the hidden vacuum lines that r in the fender wells, yep, the one u never think about. U need to find all those rubber hoses that deal with vacuum and not all of them are under the hood. The manufacturer hides those vacuum lines in many places and u need to find them or u will get bad idle forever.

I now have 300 k on my van, and the vacuum hoses are in bad shape. Orielys can help u find all those vacuum hoses on their computer if u will aksk them. Injecters get dirty most of the time, guess u cleaned them up.

TCW-3 helps to form a tighter ring seal which will help to smooth out the idle in an older engine. I've noticed the same thing using MMO in older cars over the years, it is not noticeable in a newer vehicle though. Funny story, if I don't add MMO or TCW3 to the gas in my Aerostar for more than two tanks the idle is not as smooth. IMO TCW3 is better for a tired engine as far as improving poor idle.

I would think an older (read: worn) engine should be leaking by plenty of oil form valve stems and rings where a top oil isnt needed. When you stop a process the Fuel composition changes now require the ECU to recalc coefficients and this can take longer than you might guess and lead to drivability changes. I worry more about top oil.

Thanks guys. The intake manifolds on 4.2 F150 have been a series of problems 97-98 vacuum leaks upper, 2000-2003 coolant leaks lower....But this thing has never burned or blown more than a 1/2 quart of oil during a 5K OCI. Funny how I have had burners that ran great.

I have had the upper intake off, I am trying to think of a vacumm I have missed. Any ideas are appreciated.

I started it last night and drank a beer while it warmed up and never missed a beat
beer3.gif
(I need a life) I will continue with the TCW3 and see how it works out.

I think the TCW3 will help. Not all engines are on their death beds blowing and burning oil from being totally worn out. Some have some slight wear, and the TCW3 makes for a better ring seal which can smoothen out the idle. Keep us updated! Good luck!

I added SeaFoam to a tank of gas on the Civic back at around 2,500 miles in on my current OCI, things got smoother at idle. Placebo? Possibly, but I've never had 'worse' running conditions after using that particular product, so an improvement I give some credit to the fuel additive. I'd imagine it's the same in your case.

I know you are running a gasser, but in my Cummins diesel, the addition of 1/2 ounce per gallon of wally world tcw3, ( use the outboard so it is low ash!), to the fuel has smoothed out the rattle some, and seems to be helping with the injector noise also, as my mpg is up about 1-1 1/2 mpg. Like everyone has suggested, it may be just my "seat-of-the-pants" non-scientific judgement, but I'll keep it up as I drive many more miles a year than most folks, and have at least 18,000 lbs behind me with horses. So non-scientifically speaking....couldn't hurt!!

Steve

I have had very similar results as slickrocko with my 7.3L PSD... After going through my first 3 full tanks with TC-W3... I have been using it for the past 5yrs... I wouldn't think of filling up without it...

I bought a Qt of Premium 2-cycle oil in a typical Pennzoil YB, with a TC-W3 rating on the back. Is this the additive to the gas everyone is talking about? My first time trying it out. Got some on clearance at Target for $1.76, I'd like to know how folks using MMO and this product calculate ounces per gallon for each, if both should be ran together etc?

The general rule of thumb for tcw3 is 1 oz. for each 5 gallons.
I keep the quart in the garage, fill a 3 oz. container and keep it in the console for the next fillup.

Cool. I've been pleased with using MMO so far. I'll see if TCW3 will help any more at 2 ounces per 10 gallon fill, along with the typical 4 ounces of MMO.

I think most people cut back on the MMO if they're also using TCW3. Maybe go half the recommended dose of each, i.e. 2 oz MMO and 1 oz TCW3 per 10 gallons.

Originally Posted By: AlienBug
I think most people cut back on the MMO if they're also using TCW3. Maybe go half the recommended dose of each, i.e. 2 oz MMO and 1 oz TCW3 per 10 gallons.

That is what I would do (I use both as well), and increase each slowly if needed, starting with TC-W3 (in my experience, separately or together my engine is more sensitive to changes in TC-W3 dose than it is to MMO).

I find when the dosing is right on, I get about 1-2 mpg increase (difficult to prove between fill ups, but when you're using a properly setup Scanguage II or similar and using different sorts of trip intervals and such you can be as close to certain as it gets on that), the idle is very smooth (the TC-W3 at work as MMO, used independently, never effected the idle like TC-W3 does in cocktail or by itself), and the engine muted and "good" sounding (yes this is impossible to quantify but many should know what I mean by this).

Too much TC-W3 and fuel economy worsens, instead of improves, and, the feel of the car is "off" (hesitation perhaps, its subtle but there). Too little and the benefits noted in the previous paragraph aren't noticed. That's why I think it best to start light on the TC-W3 and increase the dosing slightly at fill up if no benefits are noticed.

In my engine, at least, the MMO dosing is not as important since the engine doesn't seem so sensitive to it (I stuck to the recommended 4 ounces of MMO when I used it separately).

My own sweet spot seems to be one ounce of TC-W3 and 3 ounces of MMO to 10 gallons fuel. The effect of the MMO, when used with TC-W3, is not as pronounced but I'm using it mainly for its edge keeping the fuel system clean.

-Spyder

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
Any difference between the conventional Pennz TC-W3 and the Synblend?

Likely nothing you would notice. As long as its labeled TC-W3 IMHO its pretty much all the same as far as end user application use goes in fuel dosing.

-Spyder

Originally Posted By: DesertDually
Does the use of TCW-3 have any effect(s) on sensors, such as O2 and such?

TC-W3 is ashless and won't harm your sensors or cat, in the small quantities that people use for UCL (512-640:1).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back