Mahle OC47 Cut Open

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is about the size of a Wix 51516, or Purolator L20195 with 3/4-16 threads, but has a higher bypass setting so it is not a substitute for these. Some VW/Audis use these Mahles.

It has a respectable 165 sq. in. of media. The media measures a bit thinner, and appears more porous than most under strong magnification. This media is also one that I ran home filtration experiments on, and my results were kind of mediocre compared to a Mann, Wix, or Purolator Classic. However, this is a long life filter and is designed to be gotten dirty. In its lifetime, it probably averages good filtration after it gets somewhat loaded up.

This is a nice, sturdy filter with an interesting combination in-and-out anti-drainback/anti-siphon valve that prevents oil from being drained from either direction. Presumably, to prevent siphoning by a turbocharger's oil pump spooling down after shut down. KInd of a pain to pre-fill as I do. I use a magnet to hold open the center tube valve to pour in oil. There is no conventional ADBV disc covering the inlet holes, and the bypass valve is like a Purolator style spring and piston at the dome end of the filter.

I use this unit sometimes on our aircooled VW van. This is not the filter called for on the later model vans that use a filter from the factory, but I have a filter/pump set-up that I added on as our van had no oil filter, originally.

DSC00228.jpg

DSC00227.jpg

DSC00225.jpg

DSC00226.jpg

I don't think so. Bosch is, but I don't think Mahle is. I forgot the center tube pics, but it is different than Purolator family.
Anyway this one says made in Austria.

MahleDomeEndBypass-1.jpg

Originally Posted By: river_rat
KInd of a pain to pre-fill as I do. I use a magnet to hold open the center tube valve to pour in oil.

That's the same part number my Audi uses. It's more than a pain to pre-fill. I gave up on trying that altogether with this filter, and the Bosch and Mann versions, too, for the same reason.

Thanks for the pics. I've always been curious about the insides, but never did it myself. I'm too cheap to cut open a perfectly good filter, and, worse yet, my pictures would probably include a severed thumb or whatever evidence of a disaster happened to be around at the time.

I think it's a pretty darn good unit for $4.16 US. (Paragon Products)
Even with shipping - $32 and change for six at a time - I get it slightly cheaper than equivalent Wix or PureOne off the shelf.

Garak, a good part retriever magnet (clean of course) holds it open niceley. No big deal to pre-fill, then.

The media measures a bit thinner,and appears more porous than most under strong magnification.

This media is also one that I ran home filtration experiments on, and my results were kind of mediocre compared to a Mann, Wix, or Purolator Classic.

Stick with what's been proven to work
56.gif

Originally Posted By: daman
56.gif

That would be boring, Dan.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: daman
56.gif

That would be boring, Dan.
lol.gif

lol.gif

Garak, a good part retriever magnet (clean of course) holds it open niceley. No big deal to pre-fill, then.

I get them for about $5 a piece, with the equivalent Wix going for about $9. My Mahle supplier gets me German Bosch and Mann for roughly the same price, so I grab whatever is cheapest, since the price fluctuates a few cents regularly.

I'll have to try the magnet thing - if only I can find my magnet. I was looking for it the other day without success.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back