Royal Purple Max or Valvoline MaxLife DEX/MERC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to choose between these two fluids. Both are synthetic, and both are stated as being compatible with my car's transmission.

The Royal Purple Max ATF costs roughly twice as much as the Valvoline MaxLife DEX/MERC ATF.

When I do the flush, it will be nice to have purple-colored fluid coming out, to clearly tell when the flush is complete. That's not worth paying twice as much for, however.

Can anyone provide facts/opinions to sway me one way or the other on these?

I'm going through the same thing trying to decide which ATF to use. Price wise, if you use the advance auto online coupons, MaxLife wins easily. Regarding the performance of which is better, I don't have any experiences with either.

without knowing which kind of car u drive or the miles on it and the trans fluid history, it is impossible to recommend.
I am going to use amsoil because I have seen evidence that it works well in my taurus application (mercon v) and I found 15 quarts for $50 on craigslist.I really like it in all my power steering pumps too.I have been using it in pumps for 2+ years. This is from a person who overall does not buy into the amsoil pyramid marketing sceme.
Some cars like full synthetics and some do not need it.Both fluids you picked are decent . I would wait and try to find when advance has its next trans fluid sale and get the 40% off $100 picked up at the store. I have saved some serious cash this way.

I intentionally left off the vehicle type because it seems some people tend to give opinions based on what they think the car itself is worth (e.g. it's not "worth" using synthetic oil in). I don't want opinions like that. I want the car to last, period. A big repair on my "cheapo" car will be more than I can handle.

Anyway... The car is a 2008 Hyundai Sonata GLS, with a 2.4L and 4-speed AT. It has ~46,000 miles on it now. Around 1,000 miles ago, I changed the fluid with more OEM SP-III. I am not completely sure, but I strongly suspect that the ATF had never been changed before I did so.

It wasn't until after doing that fluid swap that I realized OEM Hyundai SP-III fluid is garbage. (I bought into the nonsense parroted by the idiots who scream that you should ONLY use OEM fluid.) That's why I want to replace it.

Someone in one of the Hyundai forums mentioned that they used Royal Purple ATF, and 20K miles later found no metal shavings and nicely-colored fluid.

I'm sure both ATFs are good and will work fine, but "Both ATFs will work fine" is not particularly helpful. I'm trying to choose between the two, not trying to find out if both are good.

I wouldn't make claims based upon supposed value, but I would based upon spec required.

I assume the OE 'III fluid is a take on Dex IIIH. If so, you have lots of options. It is good that you flushed out the original fluid. You're set up to do a swap to a good fluid.

IMO, I'd run the maxlife since it can be found at WM, and is regarded as good stuff.

Originally Posted By: glum
I'm trying to choose between these two fluids. Both are synthetic, and both are stated as being compatible with my car's transmission.

The Royal Purple Max ATF costs roughly twice as much as the Valvoline MaxLife DEX/MERC ATF.

When I do the flush, it will be nice to have purple-colored fluid coming out, to clearly tell when the flush is complete. That's not worth paying twice as much for, however.

Can anyone provide facts/opinions to sway me one way or the other on these?

I intentionally left off the vehicle type because it seems some people tend to give opinions based on what they think the car itself is worth (e.g. it's not "worth" using synthetic oil in). I don't want opinions like that. I want the car to last, period. A big repair on my "cheapo" car will be more than I can handle.

Anyway... The car is a 2008 Hyundai Sonata GLS, with a 2.4L and 4-speed AT. It has ~46,000 miles on it now. Around 1,000 miles ago, I changed the fluid with more OEM SP-III. I am not completely sure, but I strongly suspect that the ATF had never been changed before I did so.

It wasn't until after doing that fluid swap that I realized OEM Hyundai SP-III fluid is garbage. (I bought into the nonsense parroted by the idiots who scream that you should ONLY use OEM fluid.) That's why I want to replace it.

Someone in one of the Hyundai forums mentioned that they used Royal Purple ATF, and 20K miles later found no metal shavings and nicely-colored fluid.

I'm sure both ATFs are good and will work fine, but "Both ATFs will work fine" is not particularly helpful. I'm trying to choose between the two, not trying to find out if both are good.

Well, without trying to sound confrontational it does matter what it goes in as many times a particular brand does not work well in a particular tranny even when it should be compatible. Also, the mileage and maintenance history does matter too so that we can give you the best answer. Not everyone will give you grief and tell you it isn;t worth it. When that happens just ignore those people. Some of us do try and give the best answer we can but that requires info. In some applications Maxlife would be a better option than MaxATF even though MaxATF is a superior product overall(IMHOA).

This is a 2008 with just 46,000 miles so Maxlife would not be my 1st choice. MaxLife is designed for high mileage vehicles( at least 75,000+ ). It is designed to clean them out, recondition seals, has special additives to help with shift issues, etc... You really should not be in that kind of situation with your 2008. If it shifts good and has no leaks I would not use a high mileage ATF at this time. If it had another 40K, shift issues, and/or leaks I would for sure. Just no need of a high mileage fluid with just 46K. If you like Valvoline I would say use the regular DEX/MERC ATF in the blue bottle over the Maxlife considering your situation.

If you are determined however to use Maxlife( again your situation does not fit with what it was designed for )it seems to be good stuff. I am a fan of Valvoline Maxlife products in general. I just did a Maxlife service( oil, tranny, coolant )on a 2005 Impala w/ almost 120K that never had the tranny serviced. That tranny calls for Dex-IIIH FWIW. It has improved shift quality and clearly it runs cooler. For what you can notice with a fluid change it seems to be good stuff.

Like the others I am not 100% sure but if SP-III is the equivelent of Dex-III or Dex-IIIH then most universal ATF's will meet that spec and you have plenty of options. Lots of people have made favorable comments on Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle ATF. You may want to look into that as it specifies SP-III and is readily available.

I am a huge Royal Purple fan and I really like the MaxATF fluid. It is compatible with SP-III. I have never used it in your application however so no 1st hand experience to relate. I have used it in full sized 4WD trucks and muscle cars. It helps the tranny to run cooler and the shifts seem better with it. Lasts a long time as well. In general I highly recommend this fluid but I can not say with certainty it is best for your specific vehicle.

So pretty much if these are your only 2 options I actually say the MaxATF just because I don't see you needing a high mileage fluid at this point. If it is MaxATF or the regular Valvoline DEX/MERC ATF in the blue bottle then it comes down to your wallet. The MaxATF would still be my 1st choice of the 2 but the regular blue bottle Valvoline will do the job and do it well. While you said you don't want to hear that it is true. You have any number of options available to you for this application/fluid that will do the job well.

Note - If this vehicle is under warranty it is doubtful a universal fluid will meet your requirements however just FYI.

Last edited:
I would leave in what you just put in
1) o.e.m. fluid is fine in a hyundai. Not garbage at all.
2) their transmissions are almost bulletproof.Most last 150-200000 miles
3) why be paranoid unless you are towing with it or long desert driving.
4) run it 25000 miles then exchange to any full synthetic
5)use b-g trans cleaner before hand
6)) I do not think maxlife is going to benefit you in this application.
7) why listen to some schmuck on the internet.
8) maybe because I have 40 years in auto service.

I know you didn't ask but I would use Redline ATF in the Sonata. It isn't any more expensive than RP and they have a ATF+4 equivalent (I think it's called C+). Ask the Redline tech center which version to use as they may suggest D4.
Of the 2 you listed I'd probably use Maxlife.

Originally Posted By: pbm
I know you didn't ask but I would use Redline ATF in the Sonata. It isn't any more expensive than RP and they have a ATF+4 equivalent (I think it's called C+). Ask the Redline tech center which version to use as they may suggest D4.
Of the 2 you listed I'd probably use Maxlife.

The OP does not need ATF+4. That is a Chrsler specific fluid. His vehicle calls for SP-III which I believe is similar or the same as Dex-III or Dex-IIIH.

Either MaxATF or Maxlife will work fine.

Budget is for you to decide. But, I prefer more maintenance over lack of maintenance. So, Maxlife more frequently compared to higher-priced MaxATF less frequently is something you have to consider.

I prefer the MPG of the newer thinner fluids.

SPIII is a garbage fluid. Shears too quickly and goes up in smoke when you stress the transmission(think traffic).
Hyundai/Kia transmissions aren't bulletproof. Many have dozens of TSBs... over the years.
No cleaners are needed. Just exchange(flush) your fluid every 30k completely or partially 2x-3x as often(drain/refill).
Install an inline ATF filter.
A bottle of Lubegard red can be added to any fluid you choose to use.

ATF+4 can be used in place of SPIII. Consider it an upgrade.

You make a very good point that seems obvious to me now. The much lower price of MaxLife means it will be much easier for me to replace it more frequently.

Where I live, summers have plenty of 90F+ days, and traffic can be a nightmare. I have a 60,000-mile warranty. I want something better than SP-III (red urine) so I don't have a $800 repair bill when I reach 60,001 miles on the odometer.

I'll go with MaxLife. I appreciate all the feedback.

32.gif

Can anyone recommend an inline ATF filter?

N/M. Just ordered a Magnefine ATP JX-150 5/16" Universal In-Line Filter from Amazon. They say it fits, so I hope they're right.

Mobil 1 ATF can be bought through AAP using the online code RETMENOT123 to save up to $30 off 100. I just used it to buy some to use in place of Mercon V in my transmission, good stuff!

Maxlife works great in my 2006 Sonata V6/5AT with 78,000 miles. I had been using SP-III and wasn't too impressed with how it held up after 20,000 to 30,000 miles of service. I did 2 drain and fills with Maxlife last month and I have noticed a significant improvement in all aspects: upshifting smoothness, acceleration kickdown smoothness and quickness, torque converter lockup, etc.

It's my opinion that a drain and fill should be done on all vehicles at least every 30K miles regardless of the ATF being used, in order to remove some of the abrasive junk such as clutch material and wear metals. So being that Maxlife is full synthetic, recommended by Valvoline for both SP-III and SP-IV, and around $5 per quart, I was sold!

Wait, isn't Maxlife now a Dexron VI fluid? I'm thinking so, if I'm wrong I apologize. I just remember it bothering me they made it so b/c Valvoline already has a great full synthetic Dexron VI fluid and Maxlife is kind of a label synonymous with older vehicles and imo should be the older Dexron I, II, III spec.

Max ATF is a great fluid and is a proper Dex i, ii, iii spec fluid (a bit thicker than Dex VI). Spec wise it is on par with Red Line D4 on paper, if not a hair under now. I say now b/c they've changed their formula not too long ago. The old Max ATF specs were phenomenal and had no equal... and have a stellar reputation from many, many people... it was a well proven awesome ATF. The current specs took a hit, and are now probably just under D4 from Red Line, where before they basically had every single spec beat for all comers. That's my only issue, and it's a non-issue b/c its specs are still really great.

Anyhow, this is easy for me, Max ATF would be my choice in a heartbeat as I'm not a huge fan of Dex VI fluids as they're pretty thin. I like a bit thicker for more protection from heat, which is the number 1 killer of trannies... or so I've heard. If you can get Red Line D4 for the same price or cheaper than Max ATF, I'd go with it.

Having said all that, if it were me, I'd pay the $20 fee to Amsoil for preffered customer and go with their ATF, as it can be had waaaay cheaper than the other two and the specs on paper aren't THAT far behind. Not for the price difference anyhow. And it's a very well proven ATF that is tried and true and 100% synthetic. I've put it in three vehicles so far. It cured a 1994 Toyota Camry that would barely even shift at all (sometimes didnt, or wouldn't) and it now shifts great. Also in my wifes SUV that succumbed, after the rebuild and fluid change-out 10k later, the difference in shifting quality is substantial; and in a friends car it made a nice difference there as well. For the price and performance, Amsoil ATF bought on preferred customer from their online store, or better yet, a vendor here like Pablo is the way to go imho.

I just bought 17 quarts (4 gallon jugs and 1 quart) of MaxLife DEX/MERC ATF for $56 at AAP with a discount code. Pre-tax that's about $3.30 per quart, a price that's pretty hard to beat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back