Meguiar's Ultimate wash and wax review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not good.

As some may new, I just picked up a new VW Jetta. I got it in candy white.

It rained yesterday and the salt brine that has plagued the streets in the NE all winter got splashed all over the car.

I picked this wash up since I like most of Meguiar's offerings and it is being sold as a "top of the line" wash.

Well I followed the bottle and added the recommended amount of soap to the water. Well, I lie, I doubled the amount. In total, about 4 teaspoons full.

The wash went slow. The suds were very limited. I had to re wash the whole lower half of the car about three times.

The wash and "wax" offered no "beading" nor "sheeting".

O well. I will use up the rest and come summer, I plan on doing a Dawn wash, clay bar, polish, and wax with Auto Glym.

Then I will invest in a quality wash.

My findings with Meg's wash n' wax are the same as yours. I was not impressed. I finally got me some optimum car wash and love it, slick, good cleaning power and rinses great. And don't get me started on the suds, wow.

Originally Posted By: FastEddie
My findings with Meg's wash n' wax are the same as yours. I was not impressed. I finally got me some optimum car wash and love it, slick, good cleaning power and rinses great. And don't get me started on the suds, wow.

Eddie, I googled the optimum car wash and found that Amazon sells it, but there are several diff kinds.

Which one is it that works so good for you? Are you talking about the no rinse version?

Thanks-

This is the Optimum Car Wash I use:
http://www.optimumcarcare.com/ocwash.php?li=2
Or this is the Amazon link I found for it:
http://www.amazon.com/OPT-CW2006Q-Optimu...7290&sr=8-4

But I detail for a living so I buy it by the multiple gallons. I use .5 ounces per gallon so it lasts a long time.

BTW, Optimum No Rinse also is a product I could not do without. It's amazing and versatile. Use it as a quick detailer, clay lube or no rinse wash for light clean-up. I even use it as a glass cleaner for slightly dirty glass.

Gold Class is the only car wash soap I use, lots of suds and leaves a smooth slick finish on the paint
thumbsup2.gif

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Sorry you didn't like it, I love the Ultimate wash and wax. I get enough suds and it's the only wash I've used that leaves any sort of wax (though it's probably good for a week and that's about it). Maybe four tablespoons isn't enough, I read the directions, laughed, and probably put four ounces in the 2 gallon bucket I use (half full).

Well, I have an update.

I am liking it!

It rained again yesterday. Since we are "expecting" about 4-5 nice sunny days around here, I gave it another wash this afternoon when I got home from work.

I used about 3/4 of cup of wash ( a whole lot!) in a 5 gallon bucket.

This time, there were lots of suds, the car was a breeze to wash and there was some very definite beading during the rinse!

The soap is pricey as [censored], you get very little, and you have to use a lot to get good results.

But it does the job quite well when used the right way. . .

I would buy again.

3/4 cup is about 6 ounces, which is much closer to the 1 oz per gallon you should use (the directions state this). 4 teaspoons is 0.667 ounces, which would be good for about 1/2 gallon of water; not 5. It's amazing what following the directions can do
wink.gif

I don't remember the exact instructions on the bottle because I haven't used it since September, but they were so absurd I still remember laughing now. It was like the bottle was supposed to last the rest of my life and be handed down generations to boot. I think something like a capful in a gallon and the cap is probably a tablespoon.

I've got two bottles of it. I'm not sure how the directions are absurd and make it seem you only need one TSP per gallon...
Quote:

Directions
1. Rinse surface with water.
2. Mix 1 ounce of Ultimate Wash & Wax per gallon of water in a wash bucket....

That is a pretty clear statement of what ratio to use
confused.gif

I would try Chemical Guys Citrus Wash and Gloss. Definitely the best soap I've used, but you will be waxing more frequently.

I know this is crazy, but even though I use very good detailing products, Griot's Garage, some Meguire's etc...I find that whatever the cheapest car soap is does just fine. I don't believe a wash and wax is worth any wax at all. I've used Zip car wash/wax and it does just as well as the expensive stuff.

Save your money on car wash soap and put it towards better waxes and cleaners.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
I know this is crazy, but even though I use very good detailing products, Griot's Garage, some Meguire's etc...I find that whatever the cheapest car soap is does just fine. I don't believe a wash and wax is worth any wax at all. I've used Zip car wash/wax and it does just as well as the expensive stuff.

Save your money on car wash soap and put it towards better waxes and cleaners.

+1

Update:

It's been raining today. The car looks great and the water is beading up like crazy!

I plan on washing the car with dawn dish soap to strip off everything. Then im going to wax it with Autoglym HD wax.

Then I plan on maintaining the paint with P21s Shampoo.

I'm telling you, and I know people may laugh at this as they have before, but Turtle Wax Zipwax is the best carwash out there. It has a nice, rich lather, it is very slick on the surface, and it leaves a shine that looks like a freshly waxed surface. It also does not remove polish, in fact, it appears to build on the shine. And it's cheap...

Originally Posted By: grampi
I'm telling you, and I know people may laugh at this as they have before, but Turtle Wax Zipwax is the best carwash out there. It has a nice, rich lather, it is very slick on the surface, and it leaves a shine that looks like a freshly waxed surface. It also does not remove polish, in fact, it appears to build on the shine. And it's cheap...

I love Meg's waxes,detailers, clay and other stuff, but for car wash, I've tried others and always seem to go back to the Turtle Wax Zip Wax car wash.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Scum_Frog
Originally Posted By: grampi

I love Meg's waxes,detailers, clay and other stuff, but for car wash, I've tried others and always seem to go back to the Turtle Wax Zip Wax car wash.

Most people seem to just disregard my plug for the Zipwax, but it really is THAT good. I don't care much for their other products though. Mcguiar's has some good products, and some not so good. I love their polishes like Scratch-X and Ultimate Compound, and their clays are nice, but I haven't found any of their finishing waxes that I like. For that I much prefer products from Duragloss, Klasse, or Zaino.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back