Oil for 1984 524td 2.4l inline 6 Turbo Diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. What kind of vehicle you have
--1984 524td 2.4l inline 6 Turbo Diesel
2. What your owner's manual says -- not just viscosity, but certifications (look for acronyms like API SM, ILSAC GF-4, etc.) and change intervals as well
-- API-CD ?
3. Where you live
--Edmonton Alberta +35 Celsius summer -40 Celsius winters
4. How you drive (easy? hard? fast? slow?)
5. What your daily drive is like (short trips? long trips? city? highway?)
6. Whether your car has any known problems
-- Engines are known to have heavy cam wear and head gasket problems caused by heat.

Sounds like a job for a good synthetic 5w-40 HDEO (Rotella T6, Delvac 1, etc.) and a good block heater/pan warmer in the winter; 15w-40 in the warmer times.

The last 524td engine I saw personally was in a Lincoln Mark VII. (friend's father...jeez had to be 25 years ago)

The owner worked for a Ford dealer. I pretty sure he was using Motorcraft oil. Probably 15W40 then.
21.gif
(he did lecture us about "modifying our vehicles with non-OEM parts from time to time, which I found funny because here he was with a BMW powered Lincoln)

Any current HDEO 5W40 would do a better job than the oil BMW spec'd. Including Motorcraft.

Nice car!!! Need to see pictures.

Given your climate, I'd run Rotella Syn 5w-40, Mobil Delvac 1 / TurboDiesel Truck 5w-40, or if you can get the Esso XD-3 (do they make that anymore)? Id look for that in 5w-40 or 0w-40.

Since youre in Canada, Id look for the rotella 0w-40 too. Maybe do the 0w- for the cold parts of winter and a 5w- for the warmer seasons.

The specs/add packs are so much better than when the car was made that Id be looking for an up to date API spec and that is good enough. I go through this with my early 80s MB diesels. Newest specs are best.

Thanks for the info, I was hoping that the consensus would be Rotella as I run it in my other cars (Subaru turbo's). I was just afraid I needed some kind of additive or I should only use dino oil so I thought I should ask.
Cellphone pictures:
a0a62866.jpg

I Removed that sticker...
2da90780.jpg

82d8d228.jpg

Originally Posted By: Spazdog
The last 524td engine I saw personally was in a Lincoln Mark VII. (friend's father...jeez had to be 25 years ago)

The owner worked for a Ford dealer. I pretty sure he was using Motorcraft oil. Probably 15W40 then.
21.gif
(he did lecture us about "modifying our vehicles with non-OEM parts from time to time, which I found funny because here he was with a BMW powered Lincoln)

Any current HDEO 5W40 would do a better job than the oil BMW spec'd. Including Motorcraft.

I actually knew someone that had a lincoln with the BMW diesel in it also, Ford offered it as an option for a year or two sometime in the eighties.

The car is about to roll over 300,000km. It was a lucky find as it is a euro model 5 speed that was imported new to Canada. The guy I bought it from was the original owner.
shocked.gif
I have only driven it about 1000km as I am currently amassing parts to redo all of the suspension. In 1000km I did drive it I managed to get around 7.5l/100km so I am happy to throw money at it to be a Hwy cruiser. I also have a parts car that seems to made up of rust entirely.
8c719257.jpg

Originally Posted By: roadrunner1
Originally Posted By: Spazdog

21.gif

I actually knew someone that had a lincoln with the BMW diesel in it also, Ford offered it as an option for a year or two sometime in the eighties.

Ya, 85 and 86 makes it a bit easer for me to find filters ect.

Old wives tale. All synthetic oils today are blanced in their composition so they don't cause seal issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back