diesel fuel reccomend for my 2005 sprinter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Choose high sulphur for engine life and low sulphur for cat life.
Good luck on that mercedes/dodge - is it the six or the 4 diesel?

Last edited:
Go with low sulphur diesel if I were you. Afterall: most of these MB diesel engine designs originated from Euro-IV specifications (I believe), which is designed for ultra-low sulphur diesel to begin with (citing most industrialised EU countries such as Germany, etc. already on
No, unless NA general understanding on diesel engines, my take on this is that MB diesels operating on NA continent should go for as low of sulphur diesel as possible.

Q.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Choose high sulphur for engine life and low sulphur for cat life.
Good luck on that mercedes/dodge - is it the six or the 4 diesel?

Sulfur-nickel eutectic is a mechanism for libricity in older injection pumps, but a decent additive will do just fine. Plenty of miles are being racked up at this point without issue to suggest that it is no big deal. Meanwhile TBN retention is improved and I anticipate the longevity of exhaust stream components will improve using ULSD.

I would use ULSD which is likely all youll be able to find anyhow.

Sadly, you only have one choice in any truckstop or gas station.

ULSD? May be some still sell LSD but not much.

As far as I know the '05 doesn't have a DPF, that came along in '07-consider yourself lucky (if you're buying the fuel) to have a pre-DPF Sprinter-the one we have with the 2.7 I5 is getting 24-25 MPG consistently, the '07 & newer ones get 16-18!

& as AFAIK, only ULSD is sold here in OH now, there might be some dyed off-road LSD left, but soon it'll all be ULSD if it isn't already. Your Sprinter should be fine on either (pretty sure yours is a common-rail design).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back