Synpower NOACK 7 Pennzoil Ultra 11.9 Who Wins?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Synpower 5w30 now does indeed show a 7 NOACK rating on their website for 5w30 while Ultra is 11.9?

Is this a sign of a superior basestock? Redline and Amsoil are consider top tier oils in many minds and now Synpower is very near them in NOACK.

Dont get me wrong I have used both (currently Ultra is in vehicle). Like that Ultra has Moly and Boron where as Synpower does not for the most part. Maybe Ultra's higher NOACK come from having a more substantial add pack?

How is better NOACK typically achieved during refinement. More PAO used or better refinement and harvesting of uniform group III molecular size?

http://valvoline.com/pdf/SynPower.pdf

http://www.pennzoil.com/documents/PENNZOILULTRAFullSyntheticMotorOil.pdf

What gives with Synpower giving
I suspect 5w30 is the base stock for many if not all the other grades and altered through viscosity improvers or something of the sort and as such why their NOACK numbers may suffer a bit compared to the 5w30 ? ? ?

Last edited:
Thanks for the post. I wonder if the same Noack rating of 7 would apply to the NAPA full synthetic in the 05W-30?

After all, the NAPA is also made by Valvoline/Ashland.

I find it strange that their 10w30 used to be 8.5 noack and their 5w30 was like 10.5 and now their 5w is 7 and 10w is
I should say, almost every oil company's 10w30 out there usually has a lower noack than their 5w, minus botique oils who use a lot of group IV or V basestock. I almost want to think they made a typo at this point and that was meant for their 10w oil (which would still be very good for even a 10w). I only think this because in order for a 5w30 to have a noack as low as 7 they would almost have to be using quite a bit of group IV or V basestock, which is hard to believe for an oil that's so cheap and on sale constantly for around $5 a quart, or less. Don't get me wrong, I hope it's true. I would think their would be some telltale signs in the oils other specs that would let us know if it's truely doing this... like really low pour point and high flashpoint and large viscosity index.

Anyone have the full specs of their 5w30 oil? A good comparison might be to some of the amsoil oils which have a similar noack rating. If the SynPower's other specs are lacking in those areas, I'd be lead to think it may just be a typo on the spec, or they meant to put it under the 10w30 column. I hope I'm wrong though.

If it was a typo, I'm sure it would have been brought to Ashlands attention by now. I have to assume, that since there has been no correction or follow up bullitin, the numbers are correct and speak for themsleves on the 05W-30 SynPower.

You're probably right. I just checked the stats of SynPower 5w30 with a noack of 7 against Amsoil's 5w30 with a noack of 6.9 and they stacked up right there with them. So I guess the question is, how in the heck are they doing it for that price? Anywhoo, I'll think I'll stock up on some!

Here are the stats btw..

Spec === Amsoil vs SynPower (both 5w30)
K Vis 100 = 10.8 vs 10.5
K Vis 40C = 60.7 vs 59
Visc Indx = 170 vrs 169
CCS @ -30 = 5190 vs 4300
Pour P °C = -50 vrs -42
Flsh P °C = 226 vrs 223
Noack Vol = 6.9 vrs 7
HT/HS Vis = 3.2 vrs ?

...and from electrolover from the other post here...

3. COMPOSITION/INFORMATION ON INGREDIENTS
Hazardous Components CAS-No. Concentration
HYDROTREATED HEAVY PARAFFINIC BASE
OIL
64742-54-7 >=40- HEAVY PARAFFINIC DISTILLATE 64742-54-7 >=40- ALKYLATED PHENOL >=1- ZINC ALKYLDITHIOPHOSPHATE >=1-
...not sure if that tells anyone anything.

NOACK volatility is a simple test where the oil is heated to the point of vaporization.

It is expressed as a percentage, being the percent LOST at that temperature. So, a higher percentage means a higher loss, which means it is more volatile.

It is a sign of a higher quality base stock. The oil molecules have stronger intermolecular bond forces which allow them to maintain their liquid phase at higher temperatures. The chains are more resistant to cleavage and subsequent vaporization.

Originally Posted By: Hoosier_Daddy
the pdf i'm seeing has 5w-30 noack at 10.5%

I have heard about this rumor of 7% NOACK for DURABLEND, Synpower for a while. I have seen people post links, I have looked for myself and I have yet to see this 7% NOACK Volitility? Am I blind stupid or both?? (don't answer that) I just want to see the PDS that people have been talking about? That link DOES not say 7%.

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
Originally Posted By: Hoosier_Daddy
the pdf i'm seeing has 5w-30 noack at 10.5%

I have heard about this rumor of 7% NOACK for DURABLEND, Synpower for a while. I have seen people post links, I have looked for myself and I have yet to see this 7% NOACK Volitility? Am I blind stupid or both?? (don't answer that) I just want to see the PDS that people have been talking about? That link DOES not say 7%.

If you are not seeing 7% with this link http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/SynPower.pdf then you are seeing an old cached page on your computer.

If I read that MSDS right, at most Synpower contains 50% GrpIII. Everything I always heard about Synpower was it was a mix of GrpIII, IV and V. Wonder what the other 50% is?

This is getting very interesting... 50% is alot of mystery.
confused.gif

Originally Posted By: badtlc
If I read that MSDS right, at most Synpower contains 50% GrpIII. Everything I always heard about Synpower was it was a mix of GrpIII, IV and V. Wonder what the other 50% is?

Hazardous Components CAS-No. Concentration
HYDROTREATED HEAVY PARAFFINIC BASE
OIL
64742-54-7 >=50- HEAVY PARAFFINIC DISTILLATE 64742-54-7 >=30-
Note that the CAS number for both is the same. That makes it at least 80%, and up to 100% Group III.

A higher NOACK may also suggest a higher level of cleaning component. I think it is almost impossible to separate what base stock based on the NOACK values.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back