Anyone running M1 0w40? BMW 5w30 vs. Mobil1 0w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found some M1 0w40 on sale and wated to know how its working out for people that have used it in newer BMW's?

Or to phrase it differently if I can buy BMW oil for $8 a quart and M1 for $6 a quart wich one should I use?

Last edited:
What does your BMW's owner manual call for (in terms of specs and certs)? Does M1 meet those? If so, go for it. M1 0w40 is a proven oil.

yes it meets them its basicly a choice of BWM 5w30, GC, M1 0w40, PU euro 5W40. Those are I believe the only approved oils in the U.S.

Both oils meet BMW's LL-01 spec. The spec is designed so that any oil that meets it will work about the same in any car that requires it. Thus, if your car needs an LL-01 oil, you can go with what is cheaper.

The only exception is if you are operating the car near, at, or beyond the limits of what it was designed for. For example, if you do lots of track days in the summer, an xw-40 might be a better choice than an xw-30. Other than that, you have your pick of the litter.

However, in the long run, try to stick with one oil. It's best not to switch types frequently if you can avoid it.

I use Mobil l 0W40 in my BMW (B)ut (M)ine (W)orks) 97 Ford truck. Works fine. Engine much smoother. Gas mileage not so good, though.

There is an amazing 14k BMW 5w-30 UOA that was just posted. I'd probably take Mobil 1 0w-40 though. I'm a fan of the M1 HM oils, considering it a best choice for Euro engines, 10w-30 HM in your case.

For non-turbos, Rotella 10w-30 semisyn T5 would be another ideal oil for your climate at a very reasonable price, an EASY 5k oil for you. I prefer shorter intervals of cheaper oil over long changes of synth oil, for the record.

Originally Posted By: ryland
I found some M1 0w40 on sale and wated to know how its working out for people that have used it in newer BMW's?

Or to phrase it differently if I can buy BMW oil for $8 a quart and M1 for $6 a quart wich one should I use?

M1 0w-40 has been used in the BMW community for a decade or more. It has the BMW LL-01 approval so use with confidence.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
There is an amazing 14k BMW 5w-30 UOA that was just posted. I'd probably take Mobil 1 0w-40 though. I'm a fan of the M1 HM oils, considering it a best choice for Euro engines, 10w-30 HM in your case.

For non-turbos, Rotella 10w-30 semisyn T5 would be another ideal oil for your climate at a very reasonable price, an EASY 5k oil for you. I prefer shorter intervals of cheaper oil over long changes of synth oil, for the record.

I switched to M1 instead of the OEM BMW oil. 2k more miles and I'll post the M1 UOA. I went with M1 because it's cheaper, easier to find and IMHO better.

The 0w-40? Consider one of the M1 HiMiles oils like 10w-30 for the next fill as a comparison. That would be an interesting one.

I have been a GC fan for a couple of years and it has been my oil of choice..... But the Black Friday Sales before Christmas found me purchasing four cases of M1 0w40 for $4 a quart. I will use it without a bit of concern. It is already in my son's 2008 VW Rabbit and it will be poured into my 2009 Passat for the next change.

ran 0w-40 in our '98 528i, in addition to Rotella 5w-40. No real difference, other than starting being easier in the winter. Never ran BMW oil, was easier to grab the oil at Walmart or auto parts stores on sale for me. I was just focused on keeping the HTHS above 3.5, for lots of short trips, and winter driving.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ryland

What type of BMW do you have?

I'm just finishing up with an 0w40 winter run for my 530i (02). I really like the oil but it does seem to drink a bit more of it compared to the previous run of M1-HM 10w30. (1 quart for 2500 miles for the 0w40 compared to half a quart for the HM). I have not run GC 0w30 in it yet, but did run Val. HM-Syn 10w30 with good results and am going to run Roush Valvoline 10w30 for the summer (picked it up on sale). I do twice a year changes (spring/fall) with average mileage around 6k per run. It's a daily driver with 118k on it.

Tons of people have run it, and we've beat it to death. It's totally fine and a good off the shelf oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back