What are your Plans for Summer 2011?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will the higher gas prices play a large role on what you do for Summer?

Probably not because I don't have any plans to take a long trip. But if I do go on a trip, the high gas prices sure don't help. I plan to see an airshow this Summer. Last year it was the Blue Angels and this year the Thunderbirds. this will require about 120 mile round trip so not too bad. And maybe see a car show, and of course fireworks, grilling outdoors and just enjoying the warm, long sunny days.

Unfortunately I was going to travel a lot this year for Mtn Biking but I don't know how far I'll be going if the prices here go even higher than they already are (high enough!!!!!!!)

I hate the gas prices, they have doubled in the last few years.

Going to NYC in May in my new Beetle. (bought because I knew gas prices would go up) It get double the MPG of my BMW, so I am now spending way less on gas even with latest price increases.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
Unfortunately I was going to travel a lot this year for Mtn Biking but I don't know how far I'll be going if the prices here go even higher than they already are (high enough!!!!!!!)

I hate the gas prices, they have doubled in the last few years.

Me too. I'm glad a booked my plane ticket to New Orleans last month. I think I lucked out just in time.

Were going to a family reunion in Sandpoint, ID over the fourth of July, then might run over to Helena, MT to see a buddies new cabin.

In August were going to lake Tahoe, NV to meet up with some friends of ours from Seattle.

Last July I was diagnosed with pancratic cancer, lucky for me it was found early and it was removed by something called a whipple procedure. I am 52 and the time was never right to go places, I have always put a lot into my work life, so for the next few years I am going to go places and do things, within reasons.

I only mention this because we never know what is around the bend for us. If there is anyway to go and take the family or friends please do.

Duane

Last edited:
Even on a 1000 mi roundtrip, 15% higher gas prices translates to $15 extra in gas for me. Big deal!

However I will fly less because airfare has gone up a lot.

Originally Posted By: Shar
Will the higher gas prices play a large role on what you do for Summer?

Yes, the gas prices have most assuredly make me rethink any unnecessary driving I do. I am planning on taking summer classes to finish my bachelors degree in accounting and as such will not be traveling anywhere. The current gas prices have turned me into a "hypermiler" with my Corolla.

The avalanche gets about 11 mpg towing the TT. I will still go several places, i might not tow it from nc to disney world, too tiring a drive.

1. have our first kid
2. bbq a lot
3. go to the beach a lot
4. go on a disney cruise
5. get some new tires
6. start a war with the fire ants
7. work hard and be happy

I am fortunate to be able to say the gas prices will not affect what we do.

Last edited:
Summer is nearly done - we were complaining about the heat last week,then after a weekend of rain we wake up to a 5c morning...autumn is here.

I said I was going to paint the windows - it was wicked hot over summer and I did the windows on the front of the house...then stopped.I fixed the spouting...um...that's about it.

Put a lot of miles on my motorcycle - that's what summer is for.

Not really going to affect anything since Im really not going to do anything. Have a Seattle Crown Vic meet in April and probably again in the late summer. Thats about it.

I will be in Midland Odessa (Texas) area over the memorial day week end. The grandson will graduate from high school. I will have to find something to do on Sunday because the flight I want for the return is not available on Sunday. In August I will be Oklahoma City for a long week-end to visit some old friends from high school. I am hoping to get together for coffee with a BITOG member in the area. There will probably be 3 or 4 other trips this year.

I agree with duaneb9729 and I do not want to put things off. My mom died at 45 was planing for the some day things.

Plan for the summer: graduate my darn degree so I don't have to work on it till 1am every night. I had my fun but going to school part time for 6 years is getting tiring.

Now regarding to driving, I now work 4 miles from home and wife is taking work place shuttle / CalTrain to work, we live 10 mins walk or 3 mins drive from the train station and she only drives when she need a car to visit chiropractors / physical therapists.

We cut our fuel cost down to about $150 per month combined, so I don't think we can do much better.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back