Yamalube 10w-40

I have just purchased two Yamaha EF2000is generators to use with my 5th wheel. I plan on using both of them in parallel to run my AC.

The recommended engine oil from the owner’s manual is:
YAMALUBE 4 (10w-40), SAE 10W-30 or 10W-40
Recommended engine oil grade of API Service SE or higher.

I understand that with splash oil systems that shearing the oil is a big problem. I also understand that multi grade oil, especially 10W-40 is highly sensitive shear factors.
I can change both generators with one quart of oil, so the cost per quart is not a big factor. What is a big factor to me is: I would like these generators to last me as long, if not longer, than my last generator. I had it for 35 years. It’s terrible noisy and the power that it put out is not very clean, but it still starts and runs well. I hope to use these new generators a lot more than the old one. I always used Stabil in the fuel and changed the oil as soon as it started to look off color. I always used Pennzoil or NAPA and 30 or 10-30 depending on the temperature.

I purchased enough Yamalube 4 for two oil changes. I am 200 miles from a Yamaha dealer. What would be a good substitute for the Yamalube 4. Should I be using a 10W-40 at all do to the shear factor? I would also consider a synthetic if it was readily available.

You don't need that over priced and hard to get yamalube,go to wal-mart and stock up on some 5w40 HDEO, a HDEO will protect better,them gens will out last you!

Heavy duty engine oils made for diesel and gasoline engines used for industrial applications or hard use are excellent lubricants for small engines. Rotella T, Delo, Delvac are a few brand names that sell HDEO in various weights. I use 15W40 Rotella in a lot of applications from motorcycles to lawn mowers. Great stuff at a great price.

I am 90 miles from a Walmart. I not at the end of the earth, but I can see it from here.

Originally Posted By: rats1955
I am 90 miles from a Walmart. I not at the end of the earth, but I can see it from here.

200 from a Yamaha dealer and 90 from a wal-mart? where and the [censored] do you live man??

I remember using Yamalube 2-stroke oil years ago when I had a new Yami Waverunner (back when I could actually have fun things). It was outstanding stuff.

I'm glad to see Yamaha recommends a 40wt for these little buggers given they only hold a half-quart.

My only concern with a 15w40 or 10w40 would be for the extreme cold Montana can get. My company has some plants in Butte. It gets like -45degF there in the winter. It's not fun. If that's the case for you, I'd go with Shell Rotella-T 5w40 synthetic. It's perfect for both worlds (Hot/Cold).

Joel

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dakota99
5w40 Rotella
0w40 M1
0w30 GC
10w30 T5

good stuff.

This is a good list. I use Esso XD-3 0w-40 HDEO in my Yamaha ef2400i generator, and have had no problems. I would also use any of the above, but the XD-3 is the best value around here for an full PAO synthetic HDEO. I would also

Given your climate, as I see you have a similar one to me, I would say that a 0w-40 or a 0w-30 would be perfect. GC, M1 0w-40 or a 0W-40 HDEO are your premium choices in my books. For availability, you'll probably have the easiest time finding a 5w-40 or 0w-40 HDEO in any town. Billings would likely have just about anything on the list.

Some kind of synthetic sounds like a very good idea. I just need to look around to find what is available. The generators were delivered last evening. They look really nice. I am really looking forward to trying them out camping.

I love my 2400. It will run the rooftop air conditioning on our 25' travel trailer. It's really quiet and starts easily. I thought of daisy chaining 2 smaller ones, and thought I didn't want the complexity since we only use the generator for running 120v things where we have no hook ups. After lifting the 2400 in and out of a 3/4 truck bed whenever needed, I wish I had the two smaller ones. Would be far easier to lug around.

We don't use it for battery charging (which makes sense for a smaller generator) since we are pretty conservative on lights etc., never use a TV and typically go for 2-3 day outings at most.

I upgraded my 5th wheel to a 2003 Arctic Fox 245N. It has a lot more power drain on the batteries that my old 1990 Prowler. It has a slide out, so we can’t run the batteries down and get up and leave. This also has a microwave that we didn't have before. We do a lot of boondocking on the weekends and having air conditioning availability will be very nice. I am with you on the TV. I don’t like it in the camper. I don’t go camping to watch TV.

Wow! NE Montana. I wonder how far from a John Deere dealer you are? that is farm country! Been there. My JD dealer I noticed now has thier JD 0w-40 synthetic oil in. That would make a great small engine oil for winter start. Been thinking of putting it in my generator.

Service Ratings John Deere Plus-50, 0w-40 motor oil

API ratings (diesel): CH-4, CG-4, CF-4, CF
API ratings (gasoline): SL, SJ
John Deere: JDQ 78A
Mack: EO-M Plus
Cummins: CES20076, 72, 71
Allison: C-4
Caterpillar: TO-2
Military: CIDA-A-52306, MIL-L-2104F

Test Analysis 0W-40

Viscosity @ 40°C...... 85.74 cSt
Viscosity @ 100°C...... 15.17 cSt
Viscosity index...... 187
HTHS @ 150°C...... 3.97 cP
Pour point...... -51°C
Flash point...... 230°C
Total base number (TBN)....12.8 mg KOH/g
Sulfated ash level...... 1.57 wt. %

This oil is going in engines to power air conditioners? As in warm weather only? Hard to beat a good 15W-40 ... change it often (at least yearly).

A synthetic 5W-40 will give you better all-weather performance in case these generators are ever used in cold weather.

All brands in these categories are pretty good but I'm partial to Chevron Delo.

Originally Posted By: Bror Jace
This oil is going in engines to power air conditioners? As in warm weather only? Hard to beat a good 15W-40 ... change it often (at least yearly).

A synthetic 5W-40 will give you better all-weather performance in case these generators are ever used in cold weather.

All brands in these categories are pretty good but I'm partial to Chevron Delo.

Believe it or not, in the Rockies, a day can start at nearly freezing (+5C) and end up at 90F. We get huge temp swings.

Often we run the generator in the morning for 1/2 hour to run the electric griddle, microwave or coffee maker - at this time it is quite cold. Then around 2:00 when it gets really hot, we run the generator for the Air Conditioning so the babies can sleep and we can get a little calm/quiet.

This is why I choose 0w-40 over the 15w-40 which I'd prefer on the basis of cost & shear resistance.

Back