Flush before or after Radiator replacement?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to change the radiator on my friends Saturn SL1 later on this week and want to do a thermostat change and coolant flush at the same time. My question is, Should I run the flush through the old radiator before I install the new one? Or should I go ahead and replace the thermostat/radiator and run the flush through after that? I'm leaning torward the latter because I see no reason to run the flush through the old radiator. What do you all think?

On a side note I fell to temtaion and went with one of the Silla radiators off Ebay. I've used them before with success, but have since read some not so positive reviews. We will see how it goes. The price was $56 shipped. Can't beat that part anyway.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Flush before the new Radiator. If you flush after installing it you will contaminate it .

Well, he stands the RISK of contaminating the new one. But I agree, flush before you install the new one.

The plastic tank has a hairline crack in it below the upper hose that is slowly leaking. Ok will do the flush before the swap. Nothing is stopped up I just wanted to run a flush through it as a matter of principal. Its a 2001 model and I doubt the antifreeze has ever been changed.

Go ahead and flush before the new rad but these motors are clean. Nothing like the others with iron in them and the resultant globs of rust.

I replaced the radiator yesterday and no flush was necessary. I've never seen antifreeze that was so old come out so clean and pretty looking. The Silla radiator worked great. Only complaint was the nuts/rubber mounting bushings on it were junk. I reused the ones off the old radiator. Changed the thermostat too, and he now has good heat and the car is running at the temp it should.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back