Information request for Jaguar AJ-V6 engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
My co-worker bought a used 2003 Jaguar X-type, 3.0 liter engine. It has just under 49,000 miles in excellent condition. One prior owner, apparently an older gentleman who didn't want to shell out the $1500 to repair the oil leak coming from the oil pan gasket. So, he bought something else from the dealership. I told my co-worker to inquire from the service advisor about all the maintenance performed to date. I offered to do an oil change for him when the time comes. Since I have only owned BMWs and Volvos the last 20 years, I don't know anything about this engine other than it is a modified Ford Duratec 3.0 liter. He did bring in the owner's manual which was brief about the oil requirements other than 5W-30 was mentioned as the preferred viscosity. There was no stated requirement for synthetic oil. He said he would use this car as his dailer driver. I think he has a 20-25 mile commute and mainly highway miles.
I was hoping someone could tell me about this engine. Is it tough on oil? Does anyone have a specific recommendation for oil and oil filter? Do I need a 6 foot arm to get to the filter? Boise can get down to single digits in the winter and up to 108 or so for a few days each summer.

Originally Posted By: RustyH
My co-worker bought a used 2003 Jaguar X-type, 3.0 liter engine. It has just under 49,000 miles in excellent condition. One prior owner, apparently an older gentleman who didn't want to shell out the $1500 to repair the oil leak coming from the oil pan gasket. So, he bought something else from the dealership. I told my co-worker to inquire from the service advisor about all the maintenance performed to date. I offered to do an oil change for him when the time comes. Since I have only owned BMWs and Volvos the last 20 years, I don't know anything about this engine other than it is a modified Ford Duratec 3.0 liter. He did bring in the owner's manual which was brief about the oil requirements other than 5W-30 was mentioned as the preferred viscosity. There was no stated requirement for synthetic oil. He said he would use this car as his dailer driver. I think he has a 20-25 mile commute and mainly highway miles.
I was hoping someone could tell me about this engine. Is it tough on oil? Does anyone have a specific recommendation for oil and oil filter? Do I need a 6 foot arm to get to the filter? Boise can get down to single digits in the winter and up to 108 or so for a few days each summer.

Ford Duratec 3.0? 5W-30 is the correct OIl. You CAN put in 10W-30 but it said 5W-30 in a Sable i had.

GOOD ENGINE!

You can use any conventional 5W-30
NO its not hard on Oil
AT ALL

5W-30

.. hope this helps/.

Hi,
RustyH - In Australia and New Zealand and according to Mobil, that Jaguar/engine was specified to use a Semi synthetic 5W-30 or M1 0W-40

The same would likely apply across all Brands

I think the AJ 3.0 has more in common with the VVT Mazda MZI variant of the Duratec than the Taurus Duratec.

It has a sandcast aluminum intake manifold instead of plastic but otherwise looks the same as the Mazda. I've heard of people using the Jag manifold on the Mazda's plastic intake when they turbocharge it but I haven't actually seen it done in person.

It's not on hard on oil at all. My 3.0 is the absolute cleanest 100,000 mile engine I've ever seen.

The oil cap indicated 5W20 on the Mazda variant of that motor but if the manual says 5W30, I would go with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back