Best oil for a 2002 Honda Odyssey

Status
Not open for further replies.

LMC

I'm new to the forums and I've got an oil question...

I've just purchased a 2002 Honda Odyssey with 181k miles. The previous owner was using Schaeffers Supreme 9000 5w30, changing it every 8-9k miles. The owners manual calls for 5w20. My driving is mostly short trips around town (3-5 miles). It's been suggested that I shorten the duration on the oil changes if I stay with Schaeffers. Thoughts?

I fully believe in following the specified oil -- until the warranty period has expired, which yours clearly has. I would definitely stay with 5-30. The 5-20 Honda calls for is for gov't CAFE purposes only. Around the globe, all other Hondas use 5-30 for max engine protection. My '06 Odyssey will stay 5-20 until it's warranty is out. Use 5-30, but with the short trips, change every 5K.

IMO....With 181K miles on the vehicle.....I would switch to a Dino oil or a synthetic blend, since you plan on making short trips around town. This is considered severe driving and using a pure synthetic oil would be a waste of resources and $$$$.

I would just pick up a Dino oil, when on sale, and have my OCI's cut back to every 4K or 5K. The Dino oils of today are really underrated for their quality, performance and durability.

In fact, check out your local Kmart to see if they have any clearance specials on oil. I picked up quite a stash of Valvoline, Red Bottle, High Mileage, MaxLife, Synthetic Blend, 05W-30 at Kmart last night. The oil was marked for $2.79 a quart and they had it in 05W-30 and 10W-30. This oil is rated API-SM and IMO...a deal at that price.

You can find sales and great deals on oil all the time. Just look for the sales posted by members on this site.

Welcome to you on BITOG....and good luck!

When in doubt, go with the Honda manual recommendations. 8-9k between oil changes sounds like a lot. You can do an oil analysis with Blackstone Labs for $25 to make sure whatever oil you use will hold up that long. I prefer Mobil 1 5w-30 for my 08 Toyota Sienna and my manual recommends oil change every 5,000 / 6 months.

You can use PP as an example and 6 k oci with all those short trips. I feel it is an overkill with what you are doing now.

Pennzoil Yellow bottle @ the severe service interval should do fine for your application. If you want to try some Platinum/Ultra to clean it up a bit for a little longer than the severe service interval i won't blame you.

Motorcraft synthetic blend is a top value at its price point.

Consider Walmart for 5 quart jugs which are among the cheapest on all brands.

Thanks for the input. I'll be switching to a dino or blend and shorten the OCI. I can't believe how much I've learned about oil in the last few days from reading through these forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back