Anti-seize On Lugnuts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if I had this on my lugs or not, I had new tires rotated for free by the same place(Kauffman tire) recently and when I went to lift the car and re-grease the front ball joints I noticed this dark gray/sticky material all over the lugs. Is that anti-seize?

Originally Posted By: onion

Your value of K=.3 seems unreasonably high. Depends on where you look up k-values, but there's quite a bit of variation depending on where you get your numbers.

There are many different sources of K factors. Here is another list comparing clean bolts to lubricated with K factor as high as 0.50 for plain clean unlubricated bolts:

http://www.titanti.com/pdf/KFACTOR.pdf

It is possible that wheel studs have a K factor closer to 0.2 or less which would explain why we don't see wheels flying off vehicles on a regular basis despite the use of never-seize on many.

Last edited:
Yeah, k-values that I've seen are all over the place depending on where you get your info. That chart is interesting though because some of the values account for mating surface conditions.

Heck, stubborn lug nuts are only part of the problem. When I went to rotate the tires on my Tribute, the aluminum wheels were corroded to the iron brake rotors. Even with the nuts backed off, I had to move the car and slam on the brakes a half-dozen times to break the wheels free. Now I wipe a -very, very thin- coating of zinc anti-seize to the wheel faces where they contact the rotor. No more problems with corrosion.

FWIW, my anti-seize of choice is zinc-based, it's especially good in preventing galvanic corrosion between aluminum and ferrous fasteners- very common on motorcycles.

http://www.kraftindustrialsupply.com/My Scans/ZINCAS-EN.pdf

Originally Posted By: Drew2000
Heck, stubborn lug nuts are only part of the problem. When I went to rotate the tires on my Tribute, the aluminum wheels were corroded to the iron brake rotors. Even with the nuts backed off, I had to move the car and slam on the brakes a half-dozen times to break the wheels free. Now I wipe a -very, very thin- coating of zinc anti-seize to the wheel faces where they contact the rotor. No more problems with corrosion.

FWIW, my anti-seize of choice is zinc-based, it's especially good in preventing galvanic corrosion between aluminum and ferrous fasteners- very common on motorcycles.

http://www.kraftindustrialsupply.com/My Scans/ZINCAS-EN.pdf

I had this same exact problem with the same solution on one of my cars. I use the permatex silver antiseize on my lug nuts and on the rotor/wheel contact patch, and that completely solved the problem.

I use antiseize on my lug nuts and wheel hub prior to reinstalling the wheel. I reduce the torque by about 10-15% when putting the wheel back on, and never have had a nut come loose on me. I check my wheels every few weeks and they do not budge.

It makes for removing them so much easier, as well. No longer do they make terrible grinding and popping noises when loosening the nut.

But now I have an impact, so I do not notice as much. But I still do lube them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back