Quaker State vs Havoline?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Uggh, my buddy started this with me, he likes Havoline in his F150 and I like QS in mine. Which is better and why. Also, how good is Halvoline. I don't hear to much about it.
confused.gif

Of the two, I'd use Havoline because of the better add pack. I'd use it more often if Walmart still carried it around here. I think it used to have a group II+ base oil and Quaker State was just Group II. Its been a while since I checked, so things may have changed.

Originally Posted By: stubbakatt
Of the two, I'd use Havoline because of the better add pack. I'd use it more often if Walmart still carried it around here. I think it used to have a group II+ base oil and Quaker State was just Group II. Its been a while since I checked, so things may have changed.

Im not all that fermiliar with add packs and Group II and stuff. Could someone explain it better?

Originally Posted By: Johnny
As for as I know, Havoline has never been made with Group II+ base stocks. Which has the better additive package is debatable.

If so, I stand corrected.

Even though Havoline may not have a Group II+ base stock (vs. Group II), I really like the "thin" viscosity of that oil and the high moly it has. Of these two, it's definitely my preference.

That's what it all boils down to, preference. Personally I hate black bottles so I would choose the green.

That is the reason why when my six year old helps changes oil I have to use QS because it is green. Good thing it is normally priced better than the other name brands.

Remember SN/ GF-5 is here. Most of the above comments relate to the old SM formulation. Havoline (Chevron Supreme) viscosity is normalised now. I wonder if the moly is gone with the SM. I have a 1/2 case in my house but didnt install it because it smelled like kerosene. The Mobil Super smells clean like laundy detergent (!?)

Personally, I like Havoline better.

Johnny, wasn't Chevron one of the first compnaies to use group-II+ oil with their 'ISOSYN' basestock?

Wouldn't that make Havoline a group II+ oil?

Heres what I'm considering doing. Right now I have QS in the truck. Maybe on my next change I'll use Havoline and compare the 2, and whichever I like best will go in the truck after that. How does that sound?
confused.gif

There's no better way to find out what YOU like better, and what runs best you YOUR vehicle than to compare the two for yourself. Sounds like a plan. Both are available very easily and at an inexpensive price, making it a cheap "experiment".

That's what it all boils down to, preference. Personally I hate black bottles so I would choose the green.

It takes a real man to admit that oil choice often comes down to who has the better package. One of the reasons that I prefer M1 is that I've always liked their logo.

Originally Posted By: teddyboy

It takes a real man to admit that oil choice often comes down to who has the better package. One of the reasons that I prefer M1 is that I've always liked their logo.

it sounds silly, but seems to hold true.

^lol previous 2 comments, I was the same with Valvoline instead of Pennzoil for a while, but would probably use PYB > Valvoline now that I'm trying to get past my packaging bias. Thankfully, MaxLife comes in a sweet red jug that I can't ignore and it's cheaper than PYB, FTW!
lol.gif

Havoline is a brand name owned by Chevron of the U.S. Quaker State is a brand name owned by Royal Dutch/Shell of the U.K. and the Netherlands. Buy U.S.

In any case, both are good oils. Nobody knows if one is better than the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back