Best motor oil for Ford F-150 2004?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, ignore the question I asked earlier, lol. Right now I run QS Full Synthetic in my 2004 F-150 4.6L. Just wondering, is their a better oil and would i do me any good to switch right now (Truck has 85K). I heard Mobil 1 and Pennzoil are supposed to be better, but I get Quaker State cheaper. Should I spend the extra bucks and get a better one? Thanks
cool.gif

QS is good oil.Is there any reason you feel you need something "better"?
Engine noise when cold,piston slap,deposit build up,etc?

If all is well i would stick with what's been working.

QS has been working good, I just thought that Mobil 1's 15K gurantee sounded good. I have also heard that QS had some sludge problems. Is that fixed?

Originally Posted By: Iowa_F150
QS has been working good, I just thought that Mobil 1's 15K gurantee sounded good. I have also heard that QS had some sludge problems. Is that fixed?

I wish I could attach a audio file to my post. It would sound like the late comedian Sam Kinison screaming.

its a premium syn. i would not worry about it.

btw start running motor craft filters! better built and lower priced

Originally Posted By: electrolover
qsud is a good oil. but my fav is pennzoil ultra. try them all and see what YOU like best

Major +1 on everything said.

Use 5-20 motorcraft syn blend in that ,14.50 for 5qts at wally world your truck uses 6 qts use the motorcraft FL-820S oil filter around 3.50 at wally's.What part of Ia are you?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 40Deluxe
Use 5-20 motorcraft syn blend in that ,14.50 for 5qts at wally world your truck uses 6 qts use the motorcraft FL-820S oil filter around 3.50 at wally's.What part of Ia are you?

Im in Ankeny/Des Moines- I like the performance of QS better tha MC, sorry! Maybe I'll just stick with QS, thanks for all of your inputs
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Try Wolfshead 5W30. It won't let you down...

http://www.wolfshead.com/

omg really? i just read an honest rec for wolfshead? thats the 99c oil at the gas station that comes out greeeen and goooie from the bottle right?

lol.gif

If you like OS syn keep using it. I do recommend a motorcraft oil filter. I use what ever I can find at a good price on my 5.4 with a motorcraft filter.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Try Wolfshead 5W30. It won't let you down...

http://www.wolfshead.com/

omg really? i just read an honest rec for wolfshead? thats the 99c oil at the gas station that comes out greeeen and goooie from the bottle right?

lol.gif

I do not know about wolf's head product right now. But until a few years ago it was a SOPUS product and it was almost identical to PYB. Now is it owned by Amalie Oil if I could fine it a good price I see no problem using it.

Are you serious. I thought it was common knowledge that ford spec of 5w20 was due to the CAFE laws. Get real. Op use a minimum of 5w30 and if someone even tries to give you that [censored] of tighter tolerances blah blah blah just walk away. The Aussies have the same motors and no CAFE laws and ford specs 5w30 there. I wonder if Aussie motors are built different. If you aren't having any troubles don't bother changing. And forget mobil 1. Over-priced and no better than pennzoil or qs

Thanks everybody, decided to stay with QS, works well and cheap, will probably use it in the next car we get also.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

Are you serious. I thought it was common knowledge that ford spec of 5w20 was due to the CAFE laws. Get real. Op use a minimum
of 5w30 and if someone even tries to give you that [censored] of tighter tolerances blah blah blah just walk away. The Aussies have the same motors and no CAFE laws and ford specs 5w30 there. I wonder if Aussie motors are built different. If you aren't having any troubles don't bother changing. And forget mobil 1. Over-priced and no better than pennzoil or qs

What good would using a 5W-30 over a 5W-20. 5W-30 has a less stout additive pack and shears down to a 5W-20? Really? COME ON MAN!

Originally Posted By: dave1251

Are you serious. I thought it was common knowledge that ford spec of 5w20 was due to the CAFE laws. Get real. Op use a minimum
of 5w30 and if someone even tries to give you that [censored] of tighter tolerances blah blah blah just walk away. The Aussies have the same motors and no CAFE laws and ford specs 5w30 there. I wonder if Aussie motors are built different. If you aren't having any troubles don't bother changing. And forget mobil 1. Over-priced and no better than pennzoil or qs

What good would using a 5W-30 over a 5W-20. 5W-30 has a less stout additive pack and shears down to a 5W-20? Really? COME ON MAN!

whats a 5/20 shear to?
i run 5/30 in mine with great results

Originally Posted By: dave1251

whats a 5/20 shear to?
i run 5/30 in mine with great results

5W-20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back