2011 Dodge RAM 5.7L HEMI (MDS) oil recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

Just joined and I'd like a recommendation on what oil I should use in the subject new truck. It currently has only 500 miles on it and I'm thinking I'll do my first oil change
at 3K.
I'm looking to maximize my mileage and most likely I'll run synthetic as I have in the past. According to the sticky - here are the answers to those questions.

1. What kind of vehicle you have - 2011 DODGE RAM CREW CAB 5.7L HEMI MDS

2. What your owner's manual says -- not just viscosity, but certifications (look for acronyms like API SM, ILSAC GF-4, etc.) and change intervals as well - Use API Certified SAE 5W-20 Engine Oil, meeting the requirements of Chrysler Material Standard MS-6395. Refer to your engine oil filler cap for correct SAE grade. Cap says 5W-20.

3. Where you live - S.C. Pennsylvania

4. How you drive (easy? hard? fast? slow?)- not aggressively - on 4-lane I average 70MPH - Rural roads 45-50MPH

5. What your daily drive is like (short trips? long trips? city? highway?) - commute daily drive about 80 miles total, half 4-lane, half rural.

6. Whether your car has any known problems - None yet...
confused.gif

Any brand name 5W-20 and your HEMI will run fine. I used PZ, Valvoline, QS, GTX, and Chevron 5W-20 on 06 with MDS. Just use a brand name oil and good filter I used NAPA Golds and your HEMI will be fine. The biggest complant I had was that I had to change the spark plugs every 30K and the 5 speed tranny was robust but it would always would be shifting gears.

If you want to maximize gas mileage and run synthetic then either Valvoline Synpower or Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Platinum 0W20, with recommended OCI in the owner manual to avoid problems with warranty. After warranty I would extend OCI to 9-10k miles, because your driving conditions is very easy on oil.

Kendall GT1 full synthetic is a good option as well as some of the others listed. If you are a 5qt jug at Wal-Mart guy I personally would look at Pennzoil Platinum or Ultra or Valvoline Synpower. Amsoil XL and OE also carry the API certification you need and meet the mfg's oil spec.

One note for you. In addition to the info you listed which is correct( 5W-20, API Starburst, MS6395 )don't forget you have a max OCI limit of 6 months or 8,000 miles as well. Even with the OLM there is a specific owner's manual time/mileage limit listed( page 530 )in case the OLM does not trip by then. My OLM never trips and I have to go by the 6 month/6,000 limit( mine is an 08 ).

Enjoy the truck.

Also note the following :

"It is important to use only 5W-20 oil for proper operation of the Multiple Displacement System. Use of other weight oils will affect the on/off timing window of the MDS system and may also result in unbalanced engine wear."

Thanks all... some very good info. Don't think I've ever seen the Kendall GT1. Anyone use the NAPA full synthetic, it just happens to be on sale at the moment...

Originally Posted By: RAMeister
Thanks all... some very good info. Don't think I've ever seen the Kendall GT1. Anyone use the NAPA full synthetic, it just happens to be on sale at the moment...

PepBoys, if you have one local, sells Kendall. The GT1 full synthetic( read the label and be sure it is not the blend - both GT1 )here sells for $4.99 a qt there. You can also try this to find a local source...

http://www.findkendall.com/casegoods.php

The Napa synthetic is made by Ashland who makes Valvoline. Very similar oil. Good stuff if the price is right. I would not pay more for the Napa oil however.

Originally Posted By: rraiderr
The MDS was much smoother after I switched from dino to syn.

Same here. Definitely a noticeable difference. Both the PP I used once and the RP I now use all the time help the MDS to be smoother than the FF dino was.

Mine has been on PU now for ~ 3 months. It seems to do real well on it. Mine has never used a drop, no matter what I have in there, but it's still fairly fresh at 13k. This summer I plan to run Trop Artic -- which I picked up reasonable (always wanted to try it, and finally found it in 5w20).

Last year I bought 4 cases of NAPA synthetic 5-20 when it was on sale. Cost less then Name brand conventional oil when it was on sale.

Use it in our 09 Challenger and 94 Chevy Corsica. Like any oil I've ever used you can not tell the difference when first changed. Some will pick noises closer to oil change time but I've never seen any difference same weight to same weight on a new change.

I have a similar engine (actually a 2006 Ram). After reading everything on this site, I am wondering if 0w20 would be better than the recommended 5w20. Any thoughts on this?

Originally Posted By: BradVB
I have a similar engine (actually a 2006 Ram). After reading everything on this site, I am wondering if 0w20 would be better than the recommended 5w20. Any thoughts on this?

0W-20 is still a 20 weight at operating temp the same as 5W-20 is. Unless you live in a really cold climate I see no real benefit to 0W over 5W 20 weight. The benefit will come at cold start and that is about it. JMHO.

hey guys. sorry to revive an old thread. i have an 08 aspen with the 335hp 5.7L hemi. is there any noticable difference in mpg/how well the mds functions when running 5W20 dealership grade conventional vs mobil 1 full synthetic?

Originally Posted By: roth1197
hey guys. sorry to revive an old thread. i have an 08 aspen with the 335hp 5.7L hemi. is there any noticable difference in mpg/how well the mds functions when running 5W20 dealership grade conventional vs mobil 1 full synthetic?

Don't believe the mpg hype. I still haven't seen anyone who can show consistent proof over and over.

Being a 6 qt engine, I'd just look for whatever deals come in a case like Costco or BJs when they have specials. They usually have some pretty decent oils in those places that not even a WM can touch when they run sale coupons.

If that's the weight it calls for, I'd say so. However, I personally have always played with weights, but don't listen to me.

Roth

I would run a synthetic 5w-20, and best deal is generally any flavor at walmart, PP, PU, Mobil 1.

I think your mds would function better with the synthetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back