GM Power Steering Fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its is power steering fluid. Any power steering fluid from your local store will work fine. Upgrade to a full synthetic for better cold performance.

I wish there were more explanation with PSF. As I understand it, only the GM PSF has been tested to work with the saginaw pump - but I have no proof and don't know if it matters. I've used Prestone in my parent's 03 Venture and it's survived 116k miles and is doing fine. I always use GM PSF for my truck though.

There are many other choices Redline, Amsoil, Royal Purple.... I have personally had very good luck over thousands of miles using Redline PS fluid in my GM trucks. Friends have also had good luck with amsoil. Regular ps fluid is nothing special. Gm's fluid is no better than prestone, NAPA, supertech..... When you transition to a synthetic is when you will be getting something far more superior. I wouldn't even consider a conventional ps fluid as this fluid is rarely if ever changed and has little to no filtration and in some cases lack of cooling.

If you are talking about GM PS fluid #89020661, it is a mineral oil based fluid, undyed, with a boron, phosphorous additive mix.

The viscosity is about 7.5 cSt@100C and 51 cSt at 40C.

That's the first publicly available information about GM PSF I've seen!

Regarding the Saginaw pump--my Peugeot (to my surprise) has a plain old Saginaw pump, and Peugeot specifies Dexron ATF for it.

I have used Walmart ST PS fluid in my Buick without any problems.
I had neglected to change the originaal PS fluid until 75 or 80K and my pump was whining like crazy. I did a few turkey baster D&Rs but I didn't get rid of the whining until I added an ounce or two of Auto-RX and ran it for a thousand miles or so.
When I turkey bastered the fluid out I wiped the inside (bottom) of the reservoir with a paper towel and their was a lot of black sludgey gunk.

I now D&R the PS fluid at least annually and I still use Walmart fluid because I got a few bottles on closeout.

I think that Valvoline PSF in the white bottle is the only after-market fluid that I have ever seen that mentioned meeting the GM spec.

Your owners manual should reference a GM specification for the correct PS fluid.

I never used to pay attention to using the correct spec'ed fluid until recently. But ever since acquiring a Honda, I now pay attention.

GM also has a synthetic power steering formula. But the Valvoline synthetic power steering fluid seems to work very well and you can get a bigger bottle for the same or less money.

I liked the Valvoline Synthetic power steering fluid too. I don't think that they have been making it for about three years now. I am using Redline instead. I used the GM synthetic for a few years, but I don't like the way the steering feels in the summer in my Montana SV6.

I also have had good luck with the Valvoline Synpower (no longer made) in my GM cars. I still use it in my Grand Prix (I have a small stash left from a sale). In my wagon I was having some cold weather issues and I put in some Auto Rx a few years ago for 1-1.5k miles and flushed with Redline PSF and it has been perfect ever since. I'll probably stick with Redline from now on. It claims to meet the GM spec. and it works great in my experience.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
GM also has a synthetic power steering formula. But the Valvoline synthetic power steering fluid seems to work very well and you can get a bigger bottle for the same or less money.

I did NOT have good luck with the Valvoline synthetic in an 05 Corvette. It was like there was no fluid at all. It would start to turn then all of a sudden the power assist went away. VERY scary. Went back to the GM fluid and all was well. Tried the Amsoil PSF and it also works very well.

Originally Posted By: GMorg
Sounds like air in the system instead of bad fluid...

I know, but it wasn't, it was the fluid. I drove it about 7-8 miles, got her home changed the fluid back and no issues after the second change. Besides, all I had done was a couple of baster changes when I went to the Valvoline so there was no chance of air getting in the system.

I've never liked how GM systems run in cold weather. Been using synthetic ATF in mine for years. Works better. No problems so far.

Quote:
Besides, all I had done was a couple of baster changes when I went to the Valvoline so there was no chance of air getting in the system.

One thing I recommend is NOT to suck the reservoir dry when changing out the PSF using the Turkey Baster method in order to avoid air entrainment.

Always leave at least two ounces. Then repeat fluid change-out until the fluid clears. With the long 50mL Turkey Baster sucker, it takes about 15 minutes max to suck out and refill.

Last edited:
Quote:
So, Molakule- how different is GM power steering fluid from Dexron III or the like?

Other than not being dyed, it has no calcium detergents present.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back