Motorcycle cable lube?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are some good motorcycle cable lubes? Can I use Dupont's Chain Saver / Multi-Use Teflon Spray for the cables? What am I really looking for in a cable lube, teflon, moly, or something else?

Hi.

I use the same stuff for bicycle cables. You can find some at bike shops.

If you are pressed for cash, you can always use multipurpose oil that you can find at a hardware store. Chain Saver and Teflon are also fine, just avoid the waxy chain lubes because they can harm your shifting feel/action.

Another good choice are lubricants for guns. I used Break Free CLP before. Worked fine on my weapon and works fine for motorcycles haha.

I'm going to try what Boraticus suggests and use WD-40. He swears by it, and I truly don't think he intends to give anyone a bum steer.

I don't like the sticky spray lubes like you mentioned, and motor/gear oil seems to attract a lot of crud as well, so I thought I'd give WD40 a try.

Yay for me! This is my 1000th post here.

Last edited:
I carry a small spray can of WD-40 with me when I ride. It not only takes care of most lubrication needs, it also comes in handy for cleaning out ignition and other electrical switches that get water in them. I also use WD-40 to lube cables on snow blowers, lawn mowers, snowmobiles and anything else with a cable.

I'm not going to split hairs nor go to the nth degree of what's absolutely the very best at doing a particular job. I really don't care. I will not keep an inventory of function specific lubes when I know WD-40 will do everything I need it to do, despite the fact that it may deprive what's being lubed of one day less of life over a twenty year period.

I mean, really, is it that important?

Manufacturers and vendors survive by selling stuff. Believe it or not, we can live quite happily without a great deal of it.

Think about it....

Do we really need 50 different brands and formulas of cable or chain lube?

Many people are like fish. Throw something shiny and flashy at them or feed them a line of miraculous promises and their wallets leap out of their pockets.

I plan to use Dupont Chain Saver for the cables. I use it on hinges and what not, since it is designed for motorcycle chains. It dries to a film and doesn't attract dirt, so I think it'd be perfect for a cable. The Ducati manual says to use some Shell grease, which is a lithium based grease, but that just attracts a lot of grit and is messy.

1--Are you sure that your cables require lube? If the jacket is teflon lined, you don't want to lube them. It just makes dirt stick.

2--The DuPont multilube Teflon stuff is waxy when it dries, and I think it would be sticky plus holding dirt. Real cable lube in a m/c shop is good, as well as the TriFlow (not made by DuPont).

I use a spray can of Cable Lube I bought at a cycle shop.
One of the other bikes has the teflon jacket cables, and I was told not to use lube.

I also tried one of those clamp on cable lubers - think I got most of the spray on myself. Now I just pull the cables and lube once a year. I have never had a cable failure - yet.

Originally Posted By: stygz
Tri Flow

+1 wd-40 & triflow are the only two i keep on the shelf... ok theres a can of 3 in 1 oil up there to but ive had that can for 7-8 years..

I use a cable luber that directs the spray into the outer sheath. WD-40 first to clean, then a follow up with Mobil 1 spray. WD doesn't have a lot of lubricating properties, but it is great at flushing old lube from the sheath. I imagine Tri-Flow spray would be good too. Just don't use chain lube. The carrier is designed to evaporate and leave a clingy, heavy lube. Clingy and heavy isn't good for cables ( and a couple other things I can think of!) so best to avoid it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back