Never using a pureone again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: iunderpressure
Kia's are cheap cars marketed to people with bad credit and maintain the resale of a rock. In the past decade meth use in the U.S. has been high too, maybe there is a correlation. Price point is probably a part of that too. I don't care much for new Volvo's either. Mine was free.

What is the grit often seen in filter housings? It's not trapped in the media, but it's on the dirty side. This grit settles when the engine is not running. When oil is cold and thick and if a dome end bypass goes into bypass, wouldn't you run the risk of the thick oil pushing some of that grit to the clean side? This may or may no happen. It makes sense to me, so I like thread end bypasses. Just sharing my point of view.

You should stick with FRAM! I hear they have a thick candy shell with a peanut in the middle.

I like Purolator, and I am glad they are making Motorcraft filter never change...

I just expect the P1s to be better constructed being their top option.

The motorcrafts don't have the flaky paint and have a thread end bypass. I like them better too.

I've said some far out there things in this thread because I get a kick out of how defensive people are over their P1's. I've pointed out my issues with the filters. I don't think it can be compared to other top tier filters. I'm going to run an ecore ( even with the bypass spec debate in my head) my next run, and I personally think it will look better cut open then the P1 in my application. I know, I know this guy is crazy he thinks a ecore is better constructed than a P1.

I'm going to run an ecore ( even with the bypass spec debate in my head) my next run, and I personally think it will look better cut open then the P1 in my application. I know, I know this guy is crazy he thinks a ecore is better constructed than a P1.

lol.gif
... let us know if the media gets blown out or not.
whistle.gif

I could care less if an automaker agrees or disagrees with ANYTHING. Let them prove it. They haven't. Just some supervisor read somewhere that one end was supposedly better than the other and stamped it as the spec. No more Ford's for me anyway. If it was so critical, the bypass would be in the filter's mount, or even in the engine block, or at the oil pump(bypassing the whole filter loop).

Originally Posted By: unDummy
If it was so critical, the bypass would be in the filter's mount, or even in the engine block, or at the oil pump(bypassing the whole filter loop).

Just like GM uses. Only thing I don't like about the GM setup is the bypass is set to only 8 PSI, which means you want to run a pretty good flowing filter to ensure it doesn't go into bypass mode very often.

I could care less if an automaker agrees or disagrees with ANYTHING. Let them prove it. They haven't. Just some supervisor read somewhere that one end was supposedly better than the other and stamped it as the spec. No more Ford's for me anyway. If it was so critical, the bypass would be in the filter's mount, or even in the engine block, or at the oil pump(bypassing the whole filter loop).

So what I take away from this is that you profess to know more than the engineers the automakers employ. Interesting. When is your line of cars coming out?

Aside from my sarcasm, I really am wondering why you are so adamant that you are correct about this? You seem to have a VERY strong opinion on this matter....

I have e-mailed Ford asking for a TECHNICAL answer as to why they put the bypass where they do. Maybe they will provide some facts? I would be very happy if they do. But am not holding my breath.

I know 8 year olds that have more common sense than some engineers from the auto makers. There is a difference between common sense and having a fancy textbook degree.
I've worked in manufacturing of various components to those automakers, I've dealt with many of these auto-engineers from US and Asian automakers and was NOT impressed. It was depressing, and the products dumped on and tested by the consumer were and still are pretty sad.

There were those that live by the textbook and those that create the future textbooks. Automakers were definitely lacking some of the creators.

Hey Ford, my Taurus transmission blew multiple times because it overheated. Guess what, a little ATF cooler solved that problem. Thanks for the 3 warranty rebuilds and the redesigned improved airflow front bumper. Hope it hurt your bottom line. Ford, my fuel pump failed twice. Went with a non-Ford spec aftermarket part that lasted. And, take a look at their flip/flop inline ATF/PSF filter stance. Can you please delete the whine from millions of Ford's PSF pumps too.

I could go on forever. But, if you want insight on auto engineers, just read the TSBs and recalls, along with automaker denials that lead up to them.

I'm pretty much sick of anyone quoting what they think is best because the factory did it. That is where the strong opinion comes from. What the factory does isn't always best!

I also enjoy the 'different' schools of thinking when comparing the Asian, Domestic, and European engineered requirements. I call it "the product of differing textbooks'.

My line of cars? Just fork over a few million and I'll build you one.

I left my previous employer because they were more interested on how many papers and patents you can come out with, whether beneficial or not. They could care less if the products, that were in production now, were good enough today. I see that the automakers are pretty big patent trolls too. My battle with the all-knowing automakers is over. You? wheres your loyalty and paycheck come from? Mine is to the consumer now and to help them not to be brainwashed by the almighty owners manual.

I know 8 year olds that have more common sense than some engineers from the auto makers. There is a difference between common sense and having a fancy textbook degree.
I've worked in manufacturing of various components to those automakers, I've dealt with many of these auto-engineers from US and Asian automakers and was NOT impressed. It was depressing, and the products dumped on and tested by the consumer were and still are pretty sad.

There were those that live by the textbook and those that create the future textbooks. Automakers were definitely lacking some of the creators.

Hey Ford, my Taurus transmission blew multiple times because it overheated. Guess what, a little ATF cooler solved that problem. Thanks for the 3 warranty rebuilds and the redesigned improved airflow front bumper. Hope it hurt your bottom line. Ford, my fuel pump failed twice. Went with a non-Ford spec aftermarket part that lasted. And, take a look at their flip/flop inline ATF/PSF filter stance. Can you please delete the whine from millions of Ford's PSF pumps too.

I could go on forever. But, if you want insight on auto engineers, just read the TSBs and recalls, along with automaker denials that lead up to them.

I'm pretty much sick of anyone quoting what they think is best because the factory did it. That is where the strong opinion comes from. What the factory does isn't always best!

I also enjoy the 'different' schools of thinking when comparing the Asian, Domestic, and European engineered requirements. I call it "the product of differing textbooks'.

My line of cars? Just fork over a few million and I'll build you one.

I left my previous employer because they were more interested on how many papers and patents you can come out with, whether beneficial or not. They could care less if the products, that were in production now, were good enough today. I see that the automakers are pretty big patent trolls too. My battle with the all-knowing automakers is over. You? wheres your loyalty and paycheck come from? Mine is to the consumer now and to help them not to be brainwashed by the almighty owners manual.

Good post. And thank you for your answer.

I don't work for the consumer, so my loyalty lies with my employer, who also pays my salary.

Regarding your points:

Yes, I don't think everything an auto manufacturer does is perfect. I agree with you here. But that being said, this is something they appear to be doing across the board, with all their filters? What is their reasoning (valid or not) for this?

That's why I have contacted them. Because I want to know. Whether it makes sense or not? I guess we can visit that if I hear back. Sound fair?

I've been using pureone on my camry for the pass 130k miles. Never had a problem with them.

Quote:
But that being said, this is something they appear to be doing across the board, with all their filters? What is their reasoning (valid or not) for this?
Afaik, not all MC filter have thread end bypass, some have dome end bypass.

Also, the only reason I've ever read for thread end bypass design is that it is supposed to keep the silt/dirty stuff that may have built up from being washed from the media when the filter is in bypass. That being said, imo it's not that big a deal either way.

Returning to the topic of this thread, with all the changes in reasoning as the thread progressed, the ecore preference and ludicrous car/meth user comparisons, I'm just labeling this one trolling. To that extent only, I'd say it could be considered a success.

But, until I can find a better made filter for $3-5, P1 it will be.

Real question, how good is the rubber adbv in the purolator classic filters? I've noticed in the pureones the adbv was thinner than other brands. Not at all saying it's bad for being thin. Just wondering if the rubber was thin in the classics and how well they sealed.

From looking at pictures, I think the classics media looks better than the p1 in used filters.

On the Quaker State's I've used so far, the valve seals as it should and felt like it was in better shape than the Champion-labs filter's I have cut with the same or lower milage.

Not that the e-core ADBV had failed (it still held oil) but they just felt a little distorted.

I just expect the P1s to be better constructed being their top option.

The motorcrafts don't have the flaky paint and have a thread end bypass. I like them better too.

I've said some far out there things in this thread because I get a kick out of how defensive people are over their P1's. I've pointed out my issues with the filters. I don't think it can be compared to other top tier filters. I'm going to run an ecore ( even with the bypass spec debate in my head) my next run, and I personally think it will look better cut open then the P1 in my application. I know, I know this guy is crazy he thinks a ecore is better constructed than a P1.

re: ecore... make sure you inspect the media as much as possible before buying. If you see large open spaces between pleats do not put it on your car.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

That's why I have contacted them. Because I want to know. Whether it makes sense or not? I guess we can visit that if I hear back. Sound fair?

OK, so I finally got my reply back from Ford:

Originally Posted By: Ford

Dear Mr. #####,

Thank you for contacting the Ford of Canada Customer Relationship Centre. We received your message sent on 2/28/2011 regarding your question about the bypass on the Motorcraft filters.

We apologize for the delay in our response to you. Our goal is to respond to our customers within three business days; however, due to technical difficulties, we were unable to fulfill that objective. Thank you for your understanding and patience.

Regrettably, the Customer Relationship Centre is not a technical resource centre. Inquiries of a technical nature are generally referred to our dealerships as their staff are highly trained experts on Ford and Lincoln products. In the rare case where a staff member of any dealership is unable to answer a technical question regarding one of our products, there are resources available exclusively to them directly from Ford of Canada, where answers may be obtained.

Please contact the service department of your local Ford dealership for further assistance, as they are your best technical resource. To find a dealer near you, please select "Find a Dealer" from the homepage of our website, www.ford.ca.

Mr. Adlam, we value your loyalty and appreciate your continued support of Ford products and services. If you have any other inquiries or concerns, please feel free to contact us and we will be happy to address them.

Thank you for contacting Ford of Canada.

Sincerely,
Jennifer
Ford of Canada
Customer Relationship Centre

So they want me to ask at the dealership????

I'm replying to her, explaining that I am looking for an answer from an Engineer, something the dealer is going to be unable to give me.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

So they want me to ask at the dealership????

I'm replying to her, explaining that I am looking for an answer from an Engineer, something the dealer is going to be unable to give me.

Been there, done that - same path I got led down when I tried to contact Ford and even the Motorcraft division. My conclusion was that Ford/Motorcraft does not have a real Tech Dept where real engineers can answer very technical questions asked by the public.

If you call 10 different Ford dealerships you will probably get 5 different answers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back