Mixing Synthetic ATF with Dino? What happens?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm curious what would be the case if Synthetic ATF was mixed in the transmission containing regular type ATF dexron IID?

Nothing as amazing as what you're hoping. Our HL has about a 50/50 mix of T-IV (dex III clone) and Mobil1 for the last 30,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: hate2work

It becomes a semi-synthetic.

+1

And you may or may not see improvement.

When I first changed the ATF over to Mobil 1 in my Buick I had only purchased 5 or 6 (I can't remember) quarts because I didn't expect nearly 8 quarts to drain out. I made up the difference with WM ST because it was all I had. That combo ran great for 60K.

I believe it causes a ripple in the space time continuum, or a micro black hole, or both. Either way tread with caution.

As long as it meets the required spec of your transmission, the only thing that happens is you improve your ATF.

This is common enough among the ATF pan drain/refill or PSF siphon/refill crowds. Each service will increase the ratio amount of the new ATF and along with its benefits.

Originally Posted By: lipadj46
I believe it causes a ripple in the space time continuum, or a micro black hole, or both. Either way tread with caution.

You just watched your DVR recording of The Colbert Report didn't you, Marcel Marceau.

Thanks for all the great replies.

An interesting idea was brought up. And since I just had the pan and screen cleaned, and the fluid flushed, the fluid is new. So, why not keep adding Synthetic when it's low? Or just drain some out and fill it back up with 3 of 8 us qts. ???

????

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HotCoil
Thanks for all the great replies.

An interesting idea was brought up. And since I just had the pan and screen cleaned, and the fluid flushed, the fluid is new. So, why not keep adding Synthetic when it's low? Or just drain some out and fill it back up with 3 of 8 us qts. ???

????

You could do that.

Originally Posted By: HotCoil
So, why not keep adding Synthetic when it's low?

Because it shouldn't get low. The fluid level should pretty much stay the same.

Or just drain some out and fill it back up with 3 of 8 us qts. ???

This is a common practice and easy to implement at oil changes.

????

Originally Posted By: MonumentOiler
HotCoil said:
So, why not keep adding Synthetic when it's low?

Because it shouldn't get low. The fluid level should pretty much stay the same.

It does, and that is why I haven't added any. SO, that is good.

Originally Posted By: MonumentOiler
HotCoil said:
Or just drain some out and fill it back up with 3 of 8 us qts. ???

This is a common practice and easy to implement at oil changes.

????

I'll do that next time I have some time.

Originally Posted By: dwendt44
The newer style Dexron VI (6)is a blend to begin with.

SOME of them are, indeed. A couple of all synthetics available, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back