New Holland tractor UOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is for a New Holland TS135A tractor. We use it on our farm to feed cows everyday. The OEM recommends 600 hour OCI but I was getting such good results with that decided to go a little longer to 759 hours. Probably do a nice even 800 hours next time. It has a CNH 6.7L engine ( not a Cummins ) with a high pressure common rail fuel system. Using an LF16015 Fleetguard Stratapore filter and Service Pro 15w-40 engine oil with 300mL Lubro-Moly anti-friction. Tractor has 7372 hours.

Iron 54
Chr 3
Al 2
Lead 13
Sili 5
Moly 141
Bor 22
Mag 935
Cal 1541
Phos 961
Zinc 1246

Fuel Soot .4%
H2O Vis 14.2
TBN 6.4
Oxid 14
Nit 18

Lead was a little high but I'm not too worried about it. Will probably take another sample at next oil change and see if it levels out better.

For 750 hours, that's pretty darn good! And especially for a rig with neaerly 7400 hours on it!

Where's the Cu reading?

The Fe is high in a sense that we don't often see it that high, but on a "per hour" basis it's quite good. As long as the Fe does not affect other wear metals (cause abrasion) then I'd say 800 hours is attainable. Perhaps more?

How much chronological time elaspes for those 750 hours? (How many months for 750 hours?).

I assume since it's used mainly for feeding, this rig does not run at full rated engine speed, but rather some mid-point rpm? Sometimes it's hard to judge an hour reading into "miles", but I cannot say this isn't working out well, because clearly it is!

Last edited:
I guess it would depend on the time it took to feed, but for some tractors being used for that is the equivalent of short hopping. If it takes half an hour, especially in winter and at light loads, is that long enough to fully warm the oil?

In any case, that's a great UOA. Especailly if it's a "short hopper."

If I extrapolate my 8200 hr 826 Farmall's 18ppm @ 100 hrs over 750 hours, it ends up way over 100 ppm. At 120 hrs (& 3 years), it was up to 25 ppm but the oil was right at my soot condemnation limit of .04%. If I keep that tractor, it's getting a bypass system and then we'll see. It likely had a pretty ineffective filter compared to that NH.

I missed that one, Cu was 4 ppm. It is usually run for a couple hours at a time, two or three times a day so it definately gets up to operating temp. The 750 hours was accumulated over 4 months. So in a year we put on about 2300 hours. When we're mixing the feed in the feed wagon it is run at max speed to keep the PTO going and to have enough power to do it. We break up round bales of hay to mix in with silage ration but it still takes a lot out of the tractor/wagon to mix that hay in. Otherwise I would guess its run at about half speed.

Well, it is my opinion that your current choice of fluid/filter and additive, combined with your operating pattern, is working extremely well. I don't know how anyone could find fault with these results over that duration.

It would be unfair to credit either the oil or the additive, individually, as we don't really know how much each one contributes to the success. But we CAN see that the combination is working well.

It will be nice to see successive UOAs with these type results. Keep us posted please.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back