Restore oil additive - beware

Status
Not open for further replies.
I added restore to my 2002 CRV when the engine was cold, ran it for about a minute and shut it down. Next morning the car stalled after going 1 block. Got it towed to the Honda dealer. It coded out as a variable valve timing sensor problem. The tech rapped the sensor with a screwdriver handle and the car ran ok, but still coded out when driven. The replacement cost including software upgrade was to be over $300. The car ran ok with the check engine light on so I drove it home since the part had to be ordered. After 15 miles of driving the code light went out and stayed out. I'm out $50. Cancelled part order. Be advised.

Advised of what? cleaning your dirty engine? Beware of 10k intervals with cheap mineral oils.

Obviously, there is any issue if there is a 'software update' for the replacement part. Beware Honda's!

You should have asked on here, the majority of people who know just a little will tell you NEVER to run that stuff. There is not a circumstance I can think of to run it. There are some engine cleaners (MMO, Seafoam, Kreen) and LubeGard Bio-tech (which is basically just an ester (plant based) I believe, that I would let touch the inside of any of my engines. And if you use a good oil, even if it is every other change, you should really never need those if you are changing the oil at OEM intervals.

BTW, Did you change the oil? I would. Good Luck.

sounds like sludge, if that's the case. I'm just glad his oil light didn't come on instead of the CEL.

Oh, and yes, change the oil if you still have the restore in it!

Last edited:
If the carrier oil in Restore has some cleaning ability, let it do its thing. Run the Restore for 3k miles. No point in changing it out now. And, it'll take ~5+ OCI's to wash the media out completely. So, you're stuck with it for a long long time.

Originally Posted By: unDummy
If the carrier oil in Restore has some cleaning ability, let it do its thing. Run the Restore for 3k miles. No point in changing it out now. And, it'll take ~5+ OCI's to wash the media out completely. So, you're stuck with it for a long long time.

Oh, for some reason I thought he was doing some sort of a flush additive. The Restore, like 1 QT replacement for the entire sump thing??? Yikes. I'm really curious to see what his top end looks like.

Originally Posted By: unDummy
ATF doesn't do any more cleaning than motor oil.

Ditto! Do a search on our resident oil guru (Molakule)RE: ATF used as engine flush and you'll see what we mean by that.

Q.

@ OP:

You have a serious issue going on and you should resort to doing things right: e.g. carefully resort to draining and refilling with proper weight motor oil and see how it goes. Also: consider using something a little more potent: like the Pennzoyl Ultra, or similar with better cleaning power to see if it resolves your problem.

Don't fall for those half-monkey ways of getting things done (like adding Rislone, etc.) Either you do it right or none at all.

My take: those half-monkey stuff like Rislone, etc. has no place in most modern engines anyways, so long as the engine/vehicle has been properly yet conservatively maintained.

Last edited:
Isn't Restore the product that fills scored cylinder walls, with powdered soft metal? I don't think Restore was intended to clean an engine. OP what problem were you trying to solve with Restore? If so something might have gotten plugged up.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Isn't Restore the product that fills scored cylinder walls, with powdered soft metal? I don't think Restore was intended to clean an engine. OP what problem were you trying to solve with Restore? If so something might have gotten plugged up.

+1

I heard someone say "Restore!" DID bring back compression, and worked well, in an older engine. Ive been -tempted- to try it.

Though you could aso run an HM oil.. Are you having a neglected engine, OP? Needing to put things like Restore in it?

Restore doesnt clean, it plugs. if there was a hole, youd hope Restore finds it and "micro" fills it........
21.gif

Had one good review other peopel put it in the "do not use ever!" category.

Some engines, old and sludged.. how did they get that way? Nobody really knows.

No offense, but blaming Restore for software issues is ridiculous. It reminds me of the people who come on here and blame Royal Purple for "engine problems" in a car with 350K miles, etc.

I bet the Variable valve timing sensor and actuator got full of the metallic particles that are in restore and stopped or limited oil flow and tripped the code.

It sounds like the software deal was related to having a new VVT actuator installed.

In an old near death old school motor without any very small oil passages like those used for VVT system, Restore might work. But not on a modern engine!

Not trying to dispute you, but why hasn't there been numerous complaints against Restore if was indeed hurting sensors? Wouldn't Restore be aware of the potential if it existed, and warn? Why would they assume damage liability if would hurt sensors? Don't add up, IMHO.

Why did you add this product to begin with?
Is the engine seriously worn?
Does it lack compression?
Restore strikes me as something I might try on a true end-of-life beater, although the only engine I have ever had in which I might have tried it was that in my '73 Vega.
I doubt that it would have helped.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Why did you add this product to begin with?

I agree. I have a feeling there is more to this than is being said..

Originally Posted By: Boss302fan
This is a product that you add as a last resort to keep a high mileage engine running... I have heard that it does work sometimes.

That is exactly what it is supposed to do IIRC. I know a few people with some real beaters that had good luck with it. It is certainly not a product designed to clean up an engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back