can i mix 5W20 with 5W40 or 50?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got PU 5W20 in my Camaro and am wondering if it's possible to bring the weight up to a near 30? Could i drain about a litre of it and replace it with some 5W40 or 50?

If so, does it need to be the same brand?

all oil will mix without your engine blowing up, although the results may be less than optimal. also a good chance your engine will never notice

You can do that if you like, it would be better to stick with the same brand if possible but not really necessary. I think it is going to take more than a litre of a 30 grade oil to move 5 litres of a 20 grade into 30 grade territory. Use a viscosity calculator to take away the guess work.

One more question about mixing oils and i am going to slit my wrists.
mad.gif

Mix it with any oil you like.

Why did you go with a 20 when you need a 30? If you don't need a 30...then why bother?

If it were my car, I would be running PU 5W30...it's a small block Chevy after all...

If you're worried about it...just change it...

Originally Posted By: Beagle2000
mad.gif

Does it have to be the same brand???
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
mad.gif

Does it have to be the same brand???
grin.gif

Get to cuttin'
lol.gif

.. what if i mix xynthetic and synthetic blend? will my car blow up?
crackmeup2.gif

Just go ahead and drain it all out and put the correct weight in there. If your going to be messing around with the drain plug at all its probably best to get it all out.

If thats not what you want to do grab some Rotella 5w-40 to mix with it to bring it up a bit.

Yes, you can add a 40 or 50 to your 20. But, why not just leave in the 5W20 for an OCI and then change it out? Are you hearing any noises in the engine? Are you running the car now or is it sitting for the winter?

The PU is good stuff and I think it will protect your engine well even in 5W20

Last edited:
mad.gif

no one forced you to click the thread chief

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Yes, you can add a 40 or 50 to your 20. But, why not just leave in the 5W20 for an OCI and then change it out? Are you hearing any noises in the engine? Are you running the car now or is it sitting for the winter?

The car is stored for the winter now. Normally the recommended grade is 5W30 so i guess i'm getting nervous that it will be too thin and not offer as much protection when up to operating temps.

Originally Posted By: Loris
Originally Posted By: Char Baby

The car is stored for the winter now. Normally the recommended grade is 5W30 so i guess i'm getting nervous that it will be too thin and not offer as much protection when up to operating temps.

Well, as many here have said; a 5W30 turns to a 20 grade in ~ 1K miles anyway and then we 5W30 users run the OCI past 3K miles and all is well.

Then, in the spring when the car comes out of hibernation, run the car and engine mildly for a week or so(let her stretch her legs), get'er washed/waxed and looking fine then change the oil for the summer and the way you're going to be using the car.

But, the 5W20 isn't going to hurt anything for that short period of time. Now, if you hear noises right away when you start the engine after winter or while idling/cruising, change the oil soon...That's all!

Each spring when I awake my car, I allow the engine to idle for several minutes and then drive it gently for a day or two as to allow the fluids to lubricate all of the parts they're supposed to. Then I drive it normaly for a while before I jump on it. Mine is more of a cruiser anyway!

Thanks - i'm going to leave it in and see how it sounds and feels. I'd rather not have to change it out so i'll do what i can to leave it in - i'd hate to waste perfectly good oil.

Originally Posted By: Loris
Thanks - i'm going to leave it in and see how it sounds and feels. I'd rather not have to change it out so i'll do what i can to leave it in - i'd hate to waste perfectly good oil.

Right! Don't waste it, PU is good oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back