A quick grease question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to buy some grease from princess auto to do a chassis lubrication a little while ago, and not knowing much about the different kinds of grease, I jusk asked which one would suit my needs. I bought the grease I was recomended, and used it today. I realized that it's an alumininum complex grease, and after doing some reading I also realized that a lithium complex grease is what is commonly recomended and used.

After browsing this forum it seems like most people use a lithium complex grease, but some use an aluminium. I'm wondering, is there any harm in using the aluminum complex grease on my vehicle?

A tube of grease doesn't cost much, and I'm OK with buying a new tube and re-greasing everything with a Lithium complex if the AC is bad, but if that's uneccesary than I'd rather not worry about it.

Thanks for your help!

Aluminum Complex Base Greases

* Low thickener content of 6.5 to 9.5% by weight
* Snooth and buttery texture
* Dropping point of 400°F-500°F (204°C to 260° C)
* Maximum usable operating temperature of 350°F-spot temperatures of 400°F (177°C to 204°C)
* Excellent resistance to water washout. Slightly hardens in consistency in the presence of water, especially when subjected to mechanical shear stress, in order to act as a seal against water contamination and to allow the grease to remain in the bearing.
* Very good to excellent resistance against rusting, especially in the presence of moisture
* Very good to excellent work stability
* Very good to excellent mechanical and shear stablity. Slightly to moderate hardening in consistency when subjected to high shock loading and severe shear stresses. This hardening in consisency allows the grease to stay put in the bearings.
* Very good to ecellent oxidation stability
* 95% to 100% Reversibility
* Excellent pumpability
* Compatible with all types of greases except bentone base greases
* Excellent versatility. Can be used in a wide range of application

All that and more can be had at ...

BITOG - Functions of a grease

I've done extensive searching on this site and others, and have read that before. From reading that it seems like there's no reason not to use AC as a general grease for chassis lubrication, but LC is still what's recommended. That begs the question, why? If LC is what's universally recommended and most commonly used for chassis lubrication, it leaves me wondering if there's some information I can't find, and still doesn't answer the question, is AC grease appropriate for chassis lubrication?

I think it is fine for a chassis application but not generally recommended because it's high temp capabilities are not needed and manufacturers usually recommend the cheapest class of lube that will do the job. At the factory level or even a dealership the difference between $2 a tube and $5 a tube matters.

Ya, I was kinda thinking it was OK (I've been driving it with AC in for a couple days now....) just thought I'd ask, and figured that if someone knew of a reason AC grease was not suitable for chassis lubrication here would be the place to find them. Thanks for your input MonumentOiler, much appreciated!

I wonder if it matters more, then, to just meet the requirements laid out by various manufacturers, specified category of grease(not based on the grease's base).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back