VQ35 Owners--Sump Capacity?

Status
Not open for further replies.
On our 2010 Altima V6, the manual specifies 4 7/8 quarts of oil as the refill capacity after an oil and filter change. However, it usually takes a bit over 5 quarts for me to get the oil level to the full mark. The dealer of course, fills it with about 4 3/4 which leaves the dipstick showing about 1/3 qt low.

How much oil are you guys needing to put in at an oil change?

Most of the FWD VQ35s that I have followed just use a 5qt jug since the motor tends to burn a little if the revs are kept high.

My VQ40 specs 5 3/8 and I use 5 1/2 and am right in the middle but do top off 1/2 if required a few k into the OCI.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
On our 2010 Altima V6, the manual specifies 4 7/8 quarts of oil as the refill capacity after an oil and filter change. However, it usually takes a bit over 5 quarts for me to get the oil level to the full mark. The dealer of course, fills it with about 4 3/4 which leaves the dipstick showing about 1/3 qt low.
Really? It was my impression based on a recent thread and agreement responses, that taking it to the dealer assured that an oil change (and other services) would be done correctly. Apparently not. The dealer won't fill to the top/full mark. Of course.

Yet another reason for DIY oil changes.
56.gif

VQ35 dip sticks are THE worst! It takes like about 10 min to get an accurate reading. Older ones took about 4.25 - 4.5 newer ones take just about 5 to get them perfect.

I would use 5 if they call for 4 & 7/8. At least it holds more than 3.5 qts. What was Nissan thinking?

Pardon my ignoramus status, but: Is there anything wrong with going above the full mark on the dipstick?? I got carried away on my last oil change with my wife's '04 Pathfinder, so the oil level is just a bit above the max level mark. Could I use a plastic tube to siphon out the excess?! Suggestions accepted! Thanks.
BTW: The O.M. specified 5 qts., which is exactly what I poured in the 3.5L, 240-hp engine. Somehow the oil level went past the max mark!!!

Last edited:
As long as you don't see bubbles you should be fine. There has to be some room for error. I doubt most quick lubes get it exactly right.

Originally Posted By: Bladecutter
Actually, the 2010 Altima manual shows the VQ35DE needs 4 and 3/4 quarts without the oil filter, and 5 and 1/8 with the oil filter. The 4 cylinder engine is the one that needs 4 and 7/8 quarts for the oil and filter change (this is the engine I have in my '07 Altima).

Here's the link to the manual:

http://www.nissanusa.com/content/dam/nissan/pdf/techpubs/altima/2010/2010-Nissan-Altima.pdf

Page 405 is where the capacities can be found.

BC.

Thanks, I forgot about the new revision. Nissan must have updated the 2010 owners manual, because the print version that I received with the car was dated Sept. 2009. I just took a picture of the page in that manual and it clearly says 4 7/8 quarts:

f5cc4da7.jpg

Also, take note of bulletin point #2 in bold.
56.gif

Originally Posted By: buster
I would use 5 if they call for 4 & 7/8. At least it holds more than 3.5 qts. What was Nissan thinking?

They were probably smoking the same thing that the Toyota engineers were smoking when they spec-ed the Previa to take 6.1 quarts.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Really? It was my impression based on a recent thread and agreement responses, that taking it to the dealer assured that an oil change (and other services) would be done correctly. Apparently not. The dealer won't fill to the top/full mark. Of course.

Yet another reason for DIY oil changes.
56.gif

In their defense, I provided my own synthetic oil when I dropped it off for an oil change. And I gave it to them in a couple containers (with varying amounts in each) that only had 1 gallon markings. It probably was a slight headache for them...

Quote:
Also, take note of bulletin point #2 in bold.
56.gif

Another Nissan scam. It's not ester, nor is it synthetic. What it is, at $11-12 a qt., is a rip off.

Wonder if they (Nissan) still say not to use any fuel additives?
smiley-rolleyes010.gif

And, thanks for what Paul Harvey would say is, "the rest of the story".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back