advance auto brand full synthetic oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
so advance just started carrying full synthetic oil under its store brand. you can get the usual 5w20, 5w30 and 10w30.

i have heard from the commercial parts pro its made by shell(sopus?)

regular price is $3.99 a quart. i work at advance so i could get a commercial price on a case(12 qts) which is $3 a quart. the only thing is i wouldn't have anything to use the oil in.

this just sounds like a super deal, am i wrong? if its a 8,000 mile oili might have to buy another car so i can use it
lol.gif

I would rather pay more and get Mobil 1 EP, Pennzoil Platinum and Pennzoil Ultra. Just my 2 cents worth.

well i'm sure someone else will do that shortly.

the oil just caught my eye but i wouldn't have any use for it.

if i did use this oil it would only go in my beater car. then again it always got the cheapest oil in town, when it ran.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Hemi426
I would rather pay more and get Mobil 1 EP, Pennzoil Platinum and Pennzoil Ultra. Just my 2 cents worth.

+1 Always buy what you know is good.

Originally Posted By: Krel
Jmaster, i too work for Advance Auto :). Our oil is made by WPP! Good to see a fellow team member on here! :)

Well if its WPP Id stick with SuperTech for less.

what is wpp? warren?

i've been working at a new store since it opened 8 months ago. its a pretty laid back job compared to my other ones. still getting paid minimum wage since i started. if i don't get at least a dollar raise i will quit or transfer to another store to be a driver. the commercial guy here says he got paid more as a driver at the last store he worked at than being commercial pro here. sad to say i think everyone is going to be in for dissapointed over how much raise they get after the year is done.

well now that i have told my life story....

Originally Posted By: jmaster
so advance just started carrying full synthetic oil under its store brand. you can get the usual 5w20, 5w30 and 10w30.

i have heard from the commercial parts pro its made by shell(sopus?)

regular price is $3.99 a quart. i work at advance so i could get a commercial price on a case(12 qts) which is $3 a quart. the only thing is i wouldn't have anything to use the oil in.

this just sounds like a super deal, am i wrong? if its a 8,000 mile oili might have to buy another car so i can use it
lol.gif

According to the Petroleum Quality Institute the Advanced Auto conventional passed API specs. and passed it well, that is the dino though not the synthetic. I would assume that based on the care that is placed with their dino that the synthetic would be held to the same standard. With that being said, I would use the other stuff that I know meets specs. until I figured out how the AA stacked up.

Advance Auto oil used to be made by Warren Oil Company,it may have changed.Warren is not WPP in case anyone may have them mixed up.Warren Oil Company is based in NC and bought out the Coastal-Unilube brand some time ago.WPP is Warren Performance Products and is based in Nebraska,they are not the same company and are not linked in any way.

Warren Oil

WPP

Last edited:
I bought a couple of quarts of AA synthetic for top off oil. The quart bottle has the API starburst on the front and it is API-SM rated oil. IMO...looks like it will serve my purpose and it's less than Supertech at the current sale price. This oil, as mentioned earlier, is most likely identical to SuperTech but in a different package.

Originally Posted By: motorguy222
Advance Auto oil used to be made by Warren Oil Company,it may have changed.Warren is not WPP in case anyone may have them mixed up.Warren Oil Company is based in NC and bought out the Coastal-Unilube brand some time ago.WPP is Warren Performance Products and is based in Nebraska,they are not the same company and are not linked in any way.

Warren Oil

WPP

WPP....is very interesting. They blend and bottle automotive oils and lubricants for Private Label Companies as well as their own products. They also make the containers and distribute the product to wholesalers/retailers.

http://www.wd-wpp.com/about-warren.html

Looks like WPP blends and bottles for quite a few Top Tier Companies....see page 48 to 50 of their catalog without pricing. You will find all of the Big Companies listed....Mobil, Pennzoil, QS, Havoline, Valvoline....

http://www.wd-wpp.com/wdcatalog_nopricing.pdf

IMO...the quality house brand oils are of excellent value

and there is no reason to question quality.

If the bottle from Advance Auto, Auto Zone, or WalMart has the WPP on the bottom of the bottle or Jug, it most likely is from the quality Nebraska plant that bottles and distributes oil for all the major oil companies.

WPP also has their "own Brands" with are Accel, Polar and Mag 1. They state on their website that they bottle oils for retailers who want their own product. It just stands to reason that these quality oils from the major brands find their way into the food chain for the retail stores. Why would they "re-invent" the wheel. If the oil is on hand and their is a surplus....it will be used. IMO....Same with the Add Packs that are supplied to WPP. They are not going to spend millions of $$$ to make up a totally new formulation for a "store brand" oil.

I too work at AAP. Our ASM got curious when the full synthetic oil came in and tried it out THAT DAY. He ran 8,000 miles on the oil with no problems. Mainly long highway trips though.

If Warren Uni-Lube makes Advance Auto Parts Full Synthetic Oil, since we still don't know for sure, here are some PDS for the Warren Full Synthetic motor oils.

Not too bad for a Store Brand Synthetic Motor Oil.

Coastal® Full Synthetic GF-4 Motor Oil
Warren Oil Company, Inc
Dunn, NC 28334: Benton, AL 36758: San Antonio, TX 78210:
Marion, IL 62959: Johnstown, PA 15909: West Memphis, AR 72301
COASTAL FULL SYNTHETIC GF-4 MOTOR OILS are premium
quality, high detergent automotive engine oils specially formulated to meet
the stringent lubrication requirements of today's engines. Synthetic base oils
combine with a carefully selected additive package to provide maximum
protection against wear, rust, corrosion, oxidative thickening, acid
formation, sludge and varnish deposits.
COASTAL FULL SYNTHETIC GF-4 PASSENGER CAR MOTOR
OILS (PCMO’S) Meets or exceeds the requirements of MIL-L-46152E,
Ford WSS-M2C153-H (SAE 5W-20) and WSS-M2C930-A (SAE 5W-20)
and WSS-M2C929-A (SAE 5W-30)
Meets Chrysler MS-6395 (SAE 0W-20), DC MS10797 (SAE 5W-20), DC
MS10796 (SAE 5W-30) and DC MS10798 (SAE 10W-30) specifications.
Meets Honda Service Fill Specifications.
Meets GM 6094M specification (SAE 0W-20, SAE 5W-20, SAE 5W-30 and
SAE 10W-30)
Meets Toyota Specifications.
Meets API Service Category SM, SL, SJ, SH complies with ILSAC GF-4
requirements.
Benefits
Our highest level of protection for thermal and oxidation stability
Helps protect emissions system
Minimized rust and corrosion
Outstanding low temperature pour point
ILSAC GF-4 Energy Conserving
Coastal® Full Synthetic GF-4 Motor Oil
Warren Oil Company, Inc
Dunn, NC 28334: Benton, AL 36758: San Antonio, TX 78210:
Marion, IL 62959: Johnstown, PA 15909: West Memphis, AR 72301

Typical Characteristics:
COASTAL FULL SYNTHETIC GF-4 MOTOR OIL
SAE Grade 0W-20 5W-20 5W-30 10W-30
API Gravity @ 60°F 34.9 32.6 33.7 33.0
Sp. Gr. @ 60°F 0.8504 0.8478 0.8490 0.8520
Flash, COC, °F 405 405 405 405
Pour Pt., °F -48 -40 -40 -35

Viscosity,

SAE Grade 0W-20 5W-20 5W-30 10W-30

cSt @ 40°C 45.0 43.3 56.7 62.8
cSt @ 100°C 8.5 7.8 9.9 10.5
Viscosity Index 170 150 161 156
Zinc, Wt. % .0845 .0845 .0845 .0845
Phosphorus, Wt. % .0768 .0768 .0768 .0768
API Performance SM SM SM SM

Composition of the Warren Full Synthetic motor oil from the MSDS.

Material Safety Data Sheet
Material Name: Coastal Full Synthetic Motor Oil
Chemical Name: Mixture
Product Use: Passenger Car Engine Oil
Material Name: Coastal Full Synthetic Motor Oil
Manufacturer Information
Warren Oil CHEMTREC NUMBER:
2340 Hwy 301 North Domestic: 800-424-9300
Dunn, NC International: 703-527-3887

* * * Section 2 - Composition / Information on Ingredients * * *
CAS # Component Percent
Mixture Synthetic Hydrocarbon Base Oil >80
Mixture Lube Oil Additive with Zinc Dialkyl Dithiophosphoric Acid Salt, Borated Polyisobutenyl
Succinic Anhydride, Magnesium and Calcium Alkylaryl Detergents, Solvent Extracted
Mineral Oil and Alkyl Amine

Component Information/Information on Non-Hazardous Components
This product is not considered hazardous under 29 CFR 1910.1200 (Hazard Communication).
The synthetic hydrocarbon base oil contains w) DMSO extract, according to IP346.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back