GF-5 fully synthetic oils currently available

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Johnny248
Originally Posted By: casperfun
The XL amsoil is GF-5.

As well as the Amsoil OE. We have been selling a TON of this Amsoil OE oil at my dealership. We are selling about 10:1 Amsoil:Conventional Bulk.

SN/Dexos 1 5w30

thumbsup2.gif

DSC00843.jpg

Originally Posted By: CompSyn
The XL amsoil is GF-5.

As well as the Amsoil OE. We have been selling a TON of this Amsoil OE oil at my dealership. We are selling about 10:1 Amsoil:Conventional Bulk.

SN/Dexos 1 5w30

thumbsup2.gif

DSC00843.jpg

It's not certified dexos 1, though. I just bought a 2011 GMC Sierra, and the manual is VERY clear. It specifically says to use a oil that has the dexos certification stamp on it; not a "this oil meets" dexos writing.

Originally Posted By: Jehartley
Originally Posted By: CompSyn
The XL amsoil is GF-5.

SN/Dexos 1 5w30

thumbsup2.gif

It's not certified dexos 1, though. I just bought a 2011 GMC Sierra, and the manual is VERY clear. It specifically says to use a oil that has the dexos certification stamp on it; not a "this oil meets" dexos writing.

Yes but what does the manual really say, I mean word for word - in quotes.

Thanks,

Paul

Gotta love those Toyota 4 cylinder's JDM FTW. Can someone explain the GF-5 designation?

Originally Posted By: Pablo

Thanks,

Paul

"Use and ask for engine oils with
the dexos™ certification mark.
Oils meeting the requirements
of the vehicle should have the
dexos certification mark on the
container. This certification mark
indicates that the oil has been
approved to the dexos specification."

Emphasis in bold is mine. Amsoil does not have this mark, it only says that it meets the spec...big difference. Again, I'm not trying to bash...I am an Amsoil user, but now on this new truck I am probably going to go with either Mobil 1 or QSUD because they do have the certification mark.

Any idea if Amsoil plans to get it, Pablo?

Last edited:

Thanks,

Paul

Emphasis in bold is mine. Amsoil does not have this mark, it only says that it meets the spec...big difference. Again, I'm not trying to bash...I am an Amsoil user, but now on this new truck I am probably going to go with either Mobil 1 or QSUD because they do have the certification mark.

Looks like GM may have to answer to the Federal Trade Commission sometime soon...

Originally Posted By: AMSOIL February 2011 Hotwire blog
FTC Issues Consumer Alert on Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act

The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) recently issued a consumer alert clarifying that the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act prohibits automobile manufacturers and dealers from denying warranty coverage based on use of an aftermarket product, unless they can show the product caused the damage or was installed incorrectly.

“The FTC’s statement should help those ILMA members, for example, who have decided not to license General Motors’ dexos™ engine oil,” said ILMA counsel Jeff Leiter. “Some ILMA members have complained to me that the automaker has made confusing statements about its new engine oil and warranty coverage for new vehicles. It makes sense to hand a customer a copy of the FTC consumer alert, showing that the use of equivalent products should not affect warranty coverage.”

The FTC consumer alert can be viewed at http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/alerts/alt192.shtm.

Thanks,

Paul

No need to for GM. Check it out:

Quote:

There are no "shalls". Why is that?

That statement is a recommendation NOT a requirement to comply with anything. No "you must" no "you shall or". "Should have" is not an imperative. Pretty much weasel words.

Maybe, but I am not up for the hassle should something happen. I'll take your lack of reply to my question about Amsoil becoming certified with dexos as a no.

Why, so Amsoil can sell their oil even higher? They have to keep their prices down some. I bet most of Amsoil's top-teir oils beat the dexos requirements, and I wouldn't need them to raise their price in order for me to use it just to have the label on it. You do know it's about the money at that point, not the quality of the product?

I mean, if I were as in the hole as most American auto makers I'd be looking to make a buck off of anything I could.

Maybe, but I am not up for the hassle should something happen. I'll take your lack of reply to my question about Amsoil becoming certified with dexos as a no.

Well actually I did answer the question.

No need to for GM.

But I did forget to THANK YOU for typing out what it says in your manual. I'm kind of a nutty collector (in my head) of the actual manual verbiage.

What it should say is that use of an oil with the dexos certification stamp will protect the profits of General Motors through licensing fees.

I have not yet seen any indications that dexos means much other than that GM was paid so the certification stamp could be put on the oil.

API and ILSAC certified oil has taken many cars past 200,000 miles... GM included. These oils are still good enough for plenty of other manufacturers.

That being said, if I was in your position, I would use dexos certified oil and even take pictures of the bottle with the certification while under warranty, just so they don't have anything to fuss about. Sure, there are consumer protection laws, but to take advantage of those, time and possibly a lawyer would be needed. Once it is out of warranty, I would run whatever high quality I want, dexos or not.

Originally Posted By: jim302

What it should say is that use of an oil with the dexos certification stamp will protect the profits of General Motors through licensing fees.

I have not yet seen any indications that dexos means much other than that GM was paid so the certification stamp could be put on the oil.

API and ILSAC certified oil has taken many cars past 200,000 miles... GM included. These oils are still good enough for plenty of other manufacturers.

That being said, if I was in your position, I would use dexos certified oil and even take pictures of the bottle with the certification while under warranty, just so they don't have anything to fuss about. Sure, there are consumer protection laws, but to take advantage of those, time and possibly a lawyer would be needed. Once it is out of warranty, I would run whatever high quality I want, dexos or not.

Thank you, +1.

Quote:
It specifically says to use a oil that has the dexos certification stamp on it; not a "this oil meets" dexos writing.

Another reason to stay away from GM vehicles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back